Old 10-04-2003, 09:46 PM
Pip

Default Climbing/rambling Rose - Which one ?

Hi all

I have a south facing wall (front of house) that I would like to grow a rose
up. Could anybody recommend rose type ? Thanks I would like a red
rose that flowers as much as possible for as long as possible ! (and one
that is not prone to disease) I saw one in a gardening book called "Dublin
Bay" that looked lovely

I also wondered if anyone could recommend any good web sites for rose
nurseries that I could paroose through.

I've never owned a rose plant, the two houses I've had didn't have any roses
in at all. I can vaguely remember my parents putting manure around roses ?
So any advice of how to prune and feed them would be appreciated.

Thanks
Pippa

Old 10-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Zizz

?

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/

Old 11-04-2003, 03:09 AM
Hussein M.

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 20:44:25 GMT, "Zizz"
wrote:

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/

Short and to the point! I think Pippa's going to have much
agonising with her choice though.

Short and petite or hugely rambling, short flowering season but
exquisite blooms, long flowering season and o.k. blooms, a plethora of
perfumes to match the plethora of colours. Indeed, there must be a
rose to satisfy even those with a prejudice against roses.

Pippa, you are right though. Some have a certain notoriety for being
disease prone and/or other bad habits. So when you think you have
decided, let the newsgroup know - there may be some evil gossip about
it, whether through actual experience or from hearsay.

Hussein
Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Chris Stewart

wrote:

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/

Short and to the point! I think Pippa's going to have much
agonising with her choice though.

Short and petite or hugely rambling, short flowering season but
exquisite blooms, long flowering season and o.k. blooms, a plethora of
perfumes to match the plethora of colours. Indeed, there must be a
rose to satisfy even those with a prejudice against roses.

Pippa, you are right though. Some have a certain notoriety for being
disease prone and/or other bad habits. So when you think you have
decided, let the newsgroup know - there may be some evil gossip about
it, whether through actual experience or from hearsay.

Hussein
Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.

Hi,

My local nursery is

http://www.roses.uk.com/

otherwise known as Cocker's Roses - renowned throughout the NE of Scotland.
They do an excellent mail order service, and their roses are hardy - they
have to be to survive here!

Chris S

Old 12-04-2003, 05:56 AM
alice

wrote:

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/

Short and to the point! I think Pippa's going to have much
agonising with her choice though.

Hussein

Grow a little garden

Pippa's not the only one who's going to be agonising over her choice
after looking at those websites. All my old favourites & more besides.
I'm starting from scratch again with this garden, all it has is one
large cherry tree & lots of wall space. I've just "spent" an absolute
fortune at both places but have to whittle them down to something
sensible before I dare to click on the "order" buttons.
Have you been able to stop at just one, Pippa?
Alicia

Old 12-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Pip

"alice" wrote in message
m...

. ..
wrote:

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/

Short and to the point! I think Pippa's going to have much
agonising with her choice though.

Hussein

Grow a little garden

Pippa's not the only one who's going to be agonising over her choice
after looking at those websites. All my old favourites & more besides.
I'm starting from scratch again with this garden, all it has is one
large cherry tree & lots of wall space. I've just "spent" an absolute
fortune at both places but have to whittle them down to something
sensible before I dare to click on the "order" buttons.
Have you been able to stop at just one, Pippa?
Alicia

Gulp.... I know what I'm like when I get onto the Amazon website! I've just
had a look at the websites suggested and they look brilliant - decisions,
decisions ... (where's my husbands credit card...?)

Thanks everyone - I'll post back when i've made a decision and (fingers
crossed) it'll enjoy a happy healthy life in my front garden.

Cheers
Pippa

Climbing/Rambling rose recommendation stitchandfold Roses 2 23-03-2012 11:44 AM
Rambling/Climbing Roses Backhouses Gardening 3 08-03-2009 05:52 PM
Rambling rose Phil[_4_] United Kingdom 7 06-03-2007 04:00 PM
Rambling rose suggestions MikeCT United Kingdom 7 27-11-2006 06:14 PM
Rambling rose Tom Warner United Kingdom 7 27-05-2003 06:08 PM