Old 25-05-2006, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Default Greenhouse & Planning Permission

Just as an add on to what I wrote earlier, have a look at this site.
http://tinyurl.com/ek2yh
It's the government site with regard to conservation areas but there's a

lot
more available there, too.

--
Sacha
South Devon

But please do talk to your local Planning Department who will confirm my
earlier posting :-)))

Mike
Isle of Wight

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 25-05-2006, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
P.B

Have a look he

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1144635

As I read it, you are allowed to build as long as it does not exceed 100
cubic metres.
Old 25-05-2006, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"echinosum" wrote in message

pea_thrower Wrote:
Hello,

Can anybody tell me if I am going to require Planning Permission to
erect an aluminium greenhouse (6' x 10') in my garden. I live in a
conservation area, so if the answer is "yes" to the PP, how much am I
going to have to pay?

If you live in a conservation area, the only way you will find the
answer to that question is to phone up the planning department of your
local council and ask them. In most areas, they answer the phone and
talk to you.

Whilst it is always good advice to consult the LPA, if in doubt, the general
rule is that one does NOT require planning consent for erection of a garden
building in a conservation area, provided :-

1 It does not exceed 10 cubic metres
2 It is no closer to any highway than the nearest part of the 'original
house", unless there is at least 20 metres between the structure and the
highway.
3. Less than half the area of land around the original house will be
covered by additions or other buildings
4. The building is to be used for purposes ancillary to the domestic use
of the original house.
5. It is no more than 3 metres in height (above highest adjoining ground
level) or 4 metres if it has a ridged roof.

If it fails on any of the baove points, then you would need to apply for PP.
If you went ahead and it transgressed on any point, you might expect this to
be noted by the LPA, since most 'police' conservation areas very strictly,
even to the extent of using aerial photography to check on people's back
yards. You would then be invited to apply for retrospective pp.

Cost (fee payable to council) of a pp application for this sort of thing is
usually circa £135, but conservation area consents may be exempt from
charge - that's definitely worth checking with the LPA :-)

Old 25-05-2006, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"P.B" wrote in message
.com...

Have a look he

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1144635

As I read it, you are allowed to build as long as it does not exceed 100
cubic metres.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TEN Cubic Metres

:-(((((((((((((((((((((

OOOOoooooooooppppppppppppppppppssssssssssssssss ;-))

Mike

Old 26-05-2006, 07:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pea_thrower

Mike, thanks very much for taking all that trouble, it's much
appreciated.

Old 26-05-2006, 07:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pea_thrower

Computers are ery prone to do that.

Old 26-05-2006, 07:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pea_thrower

Cost (fee payable to council) of a pp application for this sort of
thing is
usually circa £135

I thought Dick Turpin was dead!

Old 26-05-2006, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

BAC wrote:
"echinosum" wrote in message
pea_thrower Wrote:
[...]

One other proviso, you cannot erect such beneath the canopy of a tree
with a TPO. :-(
Old 26-05-2006, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pea_thrower

An excellent document - thanks

Old 26-05-2006, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

One other proviso, you cannot erect such beneath the canopy of a tree
with a TPO. :-(

:-((

That's interesting. What happens if the tree with a TPO on, is in a
neighbour's garden, or in the case I am thinking, is a public park, and
overhangs your garden?

I am thinking of a case I was involved with a couple of years back where the
Local Parish Council bought an old football ground to return it to its
former use. The whole site had a blanket TPO on it and as I said, some trees
went over neighbours gardens!!

Old 26-05-2006, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Mike wrote:
One other proviso, you cannot erect such beneath the canopy of a tree
with a TPO. :-(

:-((

That's interesting. What happens if the tree with a TPO on, is in a
neighbour's garden, or in the case I am thinking, is a public park, and
overhangs your garden?

I am thinking of a case I was involved with a couple of years back where the
Local Parish Council bought an old football ground to return it to its
former use. The whole site had a blanket TPO on it and as I said, some trees
went over neighbours gardens!!

Mike

I assume (note assume) that it would still apply, otherwise the rule
would be , which I think it is anyway.
Old 26-05-2006, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

pea_thrower writes
An excellent document - thanks

It would help enormously if you could quote a bit of what it is you're
replying to!

--
Kay