Greenhouse & Planning Permission

Old 25-05-2006, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Greenhouse & Planning Permission

Hello,

Can anybody tell me if I am going to require Planning Permission to
erect an aluminium greenhouse (6' x 10') in my garden. I live in a
conservation area, so if the answer is "yes" to the PP, how much am I
going to have to pay?

Old 25-05-2006, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"pea_thrower" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

Can anybody tell me if I am going to require Planning Permission to
erect an aluminium greenhouse (6' x 10') in my garden. I live in a
conservation area, so if the answer is "yes" to the PP, how much am I
going to have to pay?

Different areas different ideas :-((

My last house was in an Area of Outstanding Beauty (AOB) and the previous
owner did have a greenhouse there, (we took it over and as far as I know is
still there) but a) he worked on the council!! ;-) ;-) know what I mean and
b) that was rather a long time ago. My gut reaction is yes you will need it,
but if you give Planning a call, or even write to them, the you will get a
better picture for where you live. A quick telephone call would be a starter
and if they do say yes, submit your own simple pencil/pen and ink
drawings/layout first. Do NOT go to the expense of getting and architect
etc. I have in the past submitted simple plans for extensions and 'talked
through them' over the counter :-))

Hope that helps. Talk to them first :-))

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 25-05-2006, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

That helps a lot, thanks Mike.

I've a feeling that if there's the slightest chance that the council
can screw some money out of me then they're going to take it. However,
if they insist on any formal drawings then I'll abandon the idea.

Cheers

Old 25-05-2006, 10:51 AM

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Originally Posted by pea_thrower
Hello,

Can anybody tell me if I am going to require Planning Permission to
erect an aluminium greenhouse (6' x 10') in my garden. I live in a
conservation area, so if the answer is "yes" to the PP, how much am I
going to have to pay?
If you live in a conservation area, the only way you will find the answer to that question is to phone up the planning department of your local council and ask them. In most areas, they answer the phone and talk to you.
Old 25-05-2006, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 25 May 2006 09:02:26 +0100, pea_thrower wrote
(in article .com):

Hello,

Can anybody tell me if I am going to require Planning Permission to
erect an aluminium greenhouse (6' x 10') in my garden. I live in a
conservation area, so if the answer is "yes" to the PP, how much am I
going to have to pay?

Stating the obvious, why don't you just phone up your local planning officer
and ask? We are also in a conservation area, also an AONB, and planning
restrictions are very tight. We erected our greenhouse on loose-laid breeze
blocks (not a permanent foundation) so as far as we are concerned it is not a
permanent structure. No-one has complained yet (please don't all rush to do
so .....)

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 25-05-2006, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sally Thompson wrote:
[...]

Good question Sally, the answer is, that I may erect it without
permission and I don't want the buggers to know who I am, just in case
they come sneaking around after their pound (or several hundred pounds)
of flesh. Like the idea of the concrete blocks though,
I could always use one to belt any unwelcome council snoopers.

Old 25-05-2006, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com,
pea_thrower writes
Hello,

Can anybody tell me if I am going to require Planning Permission to
erect an aluminium greenhouse (6' x 10') in my garden. I live in a
conservation area, so if the answer is "yes" to the PP, how much am I
going to have to pay?

you may find this helpful:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/HomeAndComm...Planning/fs/en

dave or stella @ stejonda
Old 25-05-2006, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 25 May 2006 11:00:28 +0100, Sally Thompson wrote
(in article et):

On Thu, 25 May 2006 09:02:26 +0100, pea_thrower wrote
(in article .com):

Hello,

Can anybody tell me if I am going to require Planning Permission to
erect an aluminium greenhouse (6' x 10') in my garden. I live in a
conservation area, so if the answer is "yes" to the PP, how much am I
going to have to pay?

Stating the obvious, why don't you just phone up your local planning officer
and ask? We are also in a conservation area, also an AONB, and planning
restrictions are very tight. We erected our greenhouse on loose-laid breeze
blocks (not a permanent foundation) so as far as we are concerned it is not a

permanent structure. No-one has complained yet (please don't all rush to do
so .....)

How very cloak and dagger! But I doubt they'll ask your name just for a
simple enquiry. However, if you're concerned, put whatever-the-code-is
before your number so that it is withheld and call yourself Joe Bloggs.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-05-2006, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the advice, I might do that and just keep the "concrete
block" option in reserve.

Old 25-05-2006, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the reply. Dave &/or Stella provided a link to "planning
site", but it was too general and failed to deal with the problems
somebody who doesn't want to pay the council a ha'penny faces, when
trying to erect the greenhouse of his dreams. The phone call it is
then. I thought something along the lines of
"A friend of mine who lives miles and miles away from me, wants to
know......................." Cunning eh?

Rather more seriously, do you know if the rules and regs that
cover/control what I want to do, are common throughout the uk, or am I
at the mercy of some retired major general and a leading light in the
Womens Institute on the planning committee?

Old 25-05-2006, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"pea_thrower" wrote in message
ups.com...
That helps a lot, thanks Mike.

I've a feeling that if there's the slightest chance that the council
can screw some money out of me then they're going to take it. However,
if they insist on any formal drawings then I'll abandon the idea.

Cheers

I have just telephoned our Planning Department and asked a few questions:-))
It helps that I am well known and can get the answers :-))

In a Consevation Area, you MUST apply for Planning Permission IF your
greenhouse is MORE than 10 Cubic Metres capacity. TEN CUBIC METRES!!! My
calculations gives it 9.94 Metres if you have a 6ft headroom all over. Most
drop at the sides to 4ft??

I think that is the end of the story :-))

Steam ahead and put your Greenhouse up.

"IF" anyone comes snooping round, quote me and the Isle of Wight Planning
Department and take a copy of this posting :-))

Mike
Isle of Wight where we have conservation areas AND AONBs

Old 25-05-2006, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 25 May 2006 15:21:36 +0100, pea_thrower wrote
(in article .com):

Thanks for the reply. Dave &/or Stella provided a link to "planning
site", but it was too general and failed to deal with the problems
somebody who doesn't want to pay the council a ha'penny faces, when
trying to erect the greenhouse of his dreams. The phone call it is
then. I thought something along the lines of
"A friend of mine who lives miles and miles away from me, wants to
know......................." Cunning eh?

Rather more seriously, do you know if the rules and regs that
cover/control what I want to do, are common throughout the uk, or am I
at the mercy of some retired major general and a leading light in the
Womens Institute on the planning committee?

Every area has its own planning regs or byelaws. What happens in a city in
Cheshire might not be appropriate for a hamlet in Surrey. I would be very
cautious and avoid an expensive mistake by checking with your own local
authority.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 25-05-2006, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Every area has its own planning regs or byelaws. What happens in a city

in
Cheshire might not be appropriate for a hamlet in Surrey. I would be very
cautious and avoid an expensive mistake by checking with your own local
authority.

--
Sacha

Conseration areas and AONBs are conservation areas and AONBs whether North
South East or West

Old 25-05-2006, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Every area has its own planning regs or byelaws. What happens in a city

in
Cheshire might not be appropriate for a hamlet in Surrey. I would be

very
cautious and avoid an expensive mistake by checking with your own local
authority.

--
Sacha

Conseration areas and AONBs are conservation areas and AONBs whether North
South East or West

Mike

Sorry my computer missed off the "v" in the first conservation ;-((

Old 25-05-2006, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 25 May 2006 15:21:36 +0100, pea_thrower wrote
(in article .com):

Thanks for the reply. Dave &/or Stella provided a link to "planning
site", but it was too general and failed to deal with the problems
somebody who doesn't want to pay the council a ha'penny faces, when
trying to erect the greenhouse of his dreams. The phone call it is
then. I thought something along the lines of
"A friend of mine who lives miles and miles away from me, wants to
know......................." Cunning eh?

Rather more seriously, do you know if the rules and regs that
cover/control what I want to do, are common throughout the uk, or am I
at the mercy of some retired major general and a leading light in the
Womens Institute on the planning committee?

Just as an add on to what I wrote earlier, have a look at this site.
http://tinyurl.com/ek2yh
It's the government site with regard to conservation areas but there's a lot
more available there, too.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk