Old 07-06-2006, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default Canna or hedechium

A few plants have just sprung up in a couple of neglected pots.
They are either canna or hedechium but having looked at the leaves of both
canna and hedechium I can not see any particular difference.
What way can I distinguish between the two?

Old 07-06-2006, 06:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
A few plants have just sprung up in a couple of neglected pots.
They are either canna or hedechium but having looked at the leaves of both
canna and hedechium I can not see any particular difference.
What way can I distinguish between the two?

Cannas tend to have somewhat broader leaves. Wait a bit longer and this will
be more visible,
The rhizomes of hedechium are more like that of an iris.
Jenny

Old 07-06-2006, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
A few plants have just sprung up in a couple of neglected pots.
They are either canna or hedechium but having looked at the leaves of

both
canna and hedechium I can not see any particular difference.
What way can I distinguish between the two?

Cannas tend to have somewhat broader leaves. Wait a bit longer and this

will
be more visible,
The rhizomes of hedechium are more like that of an iris.
Jenny

If you scratch or bruise hedychium there is a distinct smell of ginger (also
less holes due to snails!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 07-06-2006, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
A few plants have just sprung up in a couple of neglected pots.
They are either canna or hedechium but having looked at the leaves of
both canna and hedechium I can not see any particular difference.
What way can I distinguish between the two?

Cannas tend to have somewhat broader leaves. Wait a bit longer and this
will be more visible,
The rhizomes of hedechium are more like that of an iris.
Jenny

I shall have patience. I wonder what canna root taste like in Ginger
pudding:-)

Old 07-06-2006, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ornata

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"JennyC" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
A few plants have just sprung up in a couple of neglected pots.
They are either canna or hedechium but having looked at the leaves of
both canna and hedechium I can not see any particular difference.
What way can I distinguish between the two?

Cannas tend to have somewhat broader leaves. Wait a bit longer and this
will be more visible,
The rhizomes of hedechium are more like that of an iris.
Jenny

I shall have patience. I wonder what canna root taste like in Ginger
pudding:-)

In my experience Hedychium have more of a defined "stem" with the
leaves separately spaced along it. The pseudostem of Canna is more
like that of a banana.

Old 07-06-2006, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Ornata" wrote in message
oups.com...
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"JennyC" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
A few plants have just sprung up in a couple of neglected pots.
They are either canna or hedechium but having looked at the leaves of
both canna and hedechium I can not see any particular difference.
What way can I distinguish between the two?

Cannas tend to have somewhat broader leaves. Wait a bit longer and this
will be more visible,
The rhizomes of hedechium are more like that of an iris.
Jenny

I shall have patience. I wonder what canna root taste like in Ginger
pudding:-)

In my experience Hedychium have more of a defined "stem" with the
leaves separately spaced along it. The pseudostem of Canna is more
like that of a banana.

Thanks that's solved the problem. Never noticed the pseudostem of Canna.
I have a Ginger of some sort.
Now all I need to do is find out how I tell the difference between C.
musifolia and the bananas:-)

Canna Facts and Canna Care BobWalsh Gardening 5 29-05-2011 09:27 PM
Canna Tropicanna question(s) tom Gardening 1 08-02-2003 03:06 AM
Canna 4 Sale Starlord Gardening 2 06-02-2003 04:49 PM
New Canna for Spring Starlord Gardening 0 28-01-2003 05:23 PM
Canna Starlord Gardening 0 26-01-2003 06:52 AM