Old 13-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Adrian Jones

Default Placement of Compost Bin

I've been given a plastic compost bin. Does it have to be placed in sun?
The area I want to put it is in dense shade - against a north wall with no
sun whatsoever.

Thanks.

Old 13-04-2003, 09:32 AM
Drakanthus

I've been given a plastic compost bin. Does it have to be placed in sun?
The area I want to put it is in dense shade - against a north wall with no
sun whatsoever.

The compost will still rot down in the shade. It just rots faster if it is warmer.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 13-04-2003, 11:08 AM
gastropod

Ah, but also may dry out if in too much direct sunlight! (you can keep it
watered though. Also put the bin on the garden's soil so the worms can get
in.
Neil

"The Devil's Advocate" wrote in
message ...
I was going to say that!

The Devil's Advocate I only set the stage, you pull your own strings

Drakanthus wrote:
:: I've been given a plastic compost bin. Does it have to be placed in
:: sun?
:: The area I want to put it is in dense shade - against a north wall
:: with no
:: sun whatsoever.
::
:

Old 13-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Adrian Jones wrote:
I've been given a plastic compost bin. Does it have to be placed in sun?
The area I want to put it is in dense shade - against a north wall with no
sun whatsoever.

That is absolutely fine. It may not compost very fast in cold weather
in the winter but, frankly, UK winter sun is so anaemic that it makes
little difference. Open heaps are BETTER located in such positions,
because they dry out less.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 13-04-2003, 12:08 PM
David Townsend

Ah, but also may dry out if in too much direct sunlight! (you can keep it
watered though. Also put the bin on the garden's soil so the worms can get
in.
Neil

I keep my compost watered and fed! Urine makes and excellent compost activator and
its free - I'm not taking the **** either (or am I)! Why buy compost activators
like "Garotta" when there is a free ample supply. Provided air can get to the
compost it doesn't smell either. The urea in pee gives micro-organisms plenty of
nitrogen to help them establish and gets the decomposition process off to a flying
start.

Old 13-04-2003, 12:44 PM
bnd777

Dont forget a few buckets of Urine and that if you site it on soil you may
find Rats get in underneath

Old 13-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Sarah Dale

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 23:58:13 +0100, Adrian Jones wrote:

I've been given a plastic compost bin. Does it have to be placed in sun?
The area I want to put it is in dense shade - against a north wall with no
sun whatsoever.

That's fine - the best place for compost bins is where plants would do
badly! My compost heaps are alongside a north facing fence, in the east
corner - so they are in the maximum shade position, leaving all the
sunnier bits for my veg.

Sarah
Old 13-04-2003, 07:33 PM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 23:58:13 +0100, Adrian Jones wrote:

I've been given a plastic compost bin. Does it have to be placed in sun?
The area I want to put it is in dense shade - against a north wall with no
sun whatsoever.

Site your compost bin for function, not looks. Keep in mind the
old saw "out of sight, out of mind." Put it somewhere that is
very convenient for you, perhaps quite close to the principal
door of the house. Put it on or adjacent to a paved area if
possible: that will come in handy when you are screening compost
before putting it onto the garden.

If you try to hide your bin. letting esthetics rule, you will
find yourself not putting garden wastes into it, not watering it,
not turning it. What, then, is the point?

Though compost bins are not things of beauty, they are honest
functional appurtenances, and you should have no shame about
putting yours out in full view, if that's the most functional
location.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 14-04-2003, 10:20 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Rodger Whitlock
writes

If you try to hide your bin. letting esthetics rule, you will
find yourself not putting garden wastes into it, not watering it,
not turning it.

I have to disagree with you there.
Ours is as far from the house as we can make it and it is screened by
shrubs and trees. We have a two tier system. In the garage we have a
large bucket. Into this we put all our household vegetable waste. When
it fills up we take it up to the compost heap. The system works very
well. Besides the spousal unit wants some privacy when he activates it
))

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Compost and the Compost Bin ..... 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 0 18-04-2011 08:47 AM
Convert a wheelie bin to a compost bin help! miljee United Kingdom 16 28-10-2006 02:58 PM
Sprinkler Placement Evan Gardening 2 22-04-2003 08:20 AM
Sprinkler placement Evan Lawns 0 15-04-2003 03:08 AM
Activated charcoal placement Lee Brouillet Ponds 0 10-03-2003 06:33 PM