Rowan Tree problem

Old 12-07-2006, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rowan Tree problem

Although it's only July some of the leaves on my Rowan tree are
beginning to turn brown and die off. In fact, some leaves have fallen
on to a hebe and that too, is now suffering a similar fate.

Any ideas anyone on what I need to do? Thanks.

Old 13-07-2006, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Capone" wrote in message
ups.com...
Although it's only July some of the leaves on my Rowan tree are
beginning to turn brown and die off. In fact, some leaves have fallen
on to a hebe and that too, is now suffering a similar fate.

Any ideas anyone on what I need to do? Thanks.

If you're in an area which has been hot and dry lately, and the rest of the
leaves don't seem diseased, then don't worry too much about the Rowan.
Deciduous trees such as this will naturally drop some leaves in hot dry
weather if the amount of water the leaves are losing to the air exceeds the
capacity of the roots to supply new water. It does the tree no harm.

Neil.

Old 13-07-2006, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Neil Tonks wrote:
"Capone" wrote in message
ups.com...
Although it's only July some of the leaves on my Rowan tree are
beginning to turn brown and die off. In fact, some leaves have fallen
on to a hebe and that too, is now suffering a similar fate.

Any ideas anyone on what I need to do? Thanks.

If you're in an area which has been hot and dry lately, and the rest of the
leaves don't seem diseased, then don't worry too much about the Rowan.
Deciduous trees such as this will naturally drop some leaves in hot dry
weather if the amount of water the leaves are losing to the air exceeds the
capacity of the roots to supply new water. It does the tree no harm.

Neil.

Thanks for this Neil, I suspect you're right. I'll wait and see what
happens.

Old 15-07-2006, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Capone wrote:
Although it's only July some of the leaves on my Rowan tree are
beginning to turn brown and die off. In fact, some leaves have fallen
on to a hebe and that too, is now suffering a similar fate.

Any ideas anyone on what I need to do? Thanks.

Hi Capone

I suspect that you have Fire blight which is spread by Bees. Go
to your Horticultural Wholesaler and get some "Agricultural
Streptomycin" Fire Blight is a bacterial disease.

Apply by spraying your Rowan tree (Sorbus).

Derryl Killan

Old 15-07-2006, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Derryl Killan writes
Capone wrote:
Although it's only July some of the leaves on my Rowan tree are
beginning to turn brown and die off. In fact, some leaves have fallen
on to a hebe and that too, is now suffering a similar fate.
Any ideas anyone on what I need to do? Thanks.

Hi Capone

I suspect that you have Fire blight which is spread by Bees. Go to
your Horticultural Wholesaler and get some "Agricultural Streptomycin"
Fire Blight is a bacterial disease.

Apply by spraying your Rowan tree (Sorbus).

You're posting from the US, are you not? Is this advice equally
applicable to the UK? I've never seen a rowan suffering from fireblight.
--
Kay
Old 15-07-2006, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K writes
Derryl Killan writes
Capone wrote:
Although it's only July some of the leaves on my Rowan tree are
beginning to turn brown and die off. In fact, some leaves have fallen
on to a hebe and that too, is now suffering a similar fate.
Any ideas anyone on what I need to do? Thanks.

Hi Capone

I suspect that you have Fire blight which is spread by Bees. Go to
your Horticultural Wholesaler and get some "Agricultural Streptomycin"
Fire Blight is a bacterial disease.

Apply by spraying your Rowan tree (Sorbus).

You're posting from the US, are you not? Is this advice equally
applicable to the UK? I've never seen a rowan suffering from fireblight.

Googling shows rowans in the UK do get fireblight. Treatment suggested
for the amateur is pruning and disposing of affected branches or getting
rid pf the whole tree.
--
Kay