A Gardening forum. GardenBanter.co.uk

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » GardenBanter.co.uk forum » Regional Gardening Discussions » United Kingdom
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 29-07-2006, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 20
Default Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

Hello, Have you had a tetanus shot in the last 5-10 years - If NO
then please do so! You need to have your tetanus shot RENEWED every 5
years (ideally) else 10 years. If you are older ( past 50 ) then 5
years is better - though a doc i spoke to suggested every 1 year, if
you are past 65 and garden.

If you cut yourself and THEN decide to get a Tetanus shot (for the
first time ever), make sure they give you both the Tetanus vaccine AND
the TIG (Tetanus Immuno Globulin). The TIG contains the actual
antibodies that resist the Clostridium Tetani. The vaccine provides
you with long term immunity (stimulates your body to generate
antibodies, but that takes 3 weeks if you've never had a tetanus
shot). It's safer to get the TIG as well in case of a muddy cut!
Though i haven't done this as yet..(but i do have my booster shots).

READ: http://www.indianpediatrics.net/feb1999/feb-198-200.htm
That's the best article i found on the net that CLEARLY explains what
is what!

I cross-posted earlier but i can't find the post on URG so i guess
you'll have to read it on rec.gardens (this is a lot shorter and minus
a few other links).

The tetanus-vaccine injection was pretty painless, i hardly felt the
prick because i was looking away when she shoved it in and was quite
surprised that it was all over so quickly! The arm is sore though
after a day and i was very slightly feverish. Do it on a Friday or a
Saturday, and get everyone to baby you, and tell them what a great
risk it is and how you avoided death so narrowly. I got to lie in bed
and goof off while Mum danced around and got chocolates and ice-cream,
though they didn't take my suggestion of heaving the whole bowl to the
invalid too well.
Ads
  #2  
Old 29-07-2006, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 143
Default Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!


"Vivek.M" wrote in message
...
Hello, Have you had a tetanus shot in the last 5-10 years - If NO
then please do so! You need to have your tetanus shot RENEWED every 5
years (ideally) else 10 years. If you are older ( past 50 ) then 5
years is better - though a doc i spoke to suggested every 1 year, if
you are past 65 and garden.


The last time I went to the doc for a tetnus shot, he said I'd already had
too many and I was imune!

Alan


  #3  
Old 29-07-2006, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,966
Default Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

Vivek. M writes
The tetanus-vaccine injection was pretty painless, i hardly felt the
prick because i was looking away when she shoved it in and was quite
surprised that it was all over so quickly! The arm is sore though
after a day and i was very slightly feverish. Do it on a Friday or a
Saturday, and get everyone to baby you, and tell them what a great
risk it is and how you avoided death so narrowly. I got to lie in bed
and goof off while Mum danced around and got chocolates and ice-cream,
though they didn't take my suggestion of heaving the whole bowl to the
invalid too well.


Blimey! How many jabs do you routinely have over there? With our regime
of several during babyhood, then more at 5, more sometime during primary
school and then the wonderful test followed by jab at 14 (if the test
doesn't swell up and become really nasty, you have to have the jab and
that certainly will go nasty), chances of receiving sympathy are remote!
Even if you are running a slight fever.
--
Kay
  #4  
Old 29-07-2006, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 139
Default Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

Vivek.M wrote:
though a doc i spoke to suggested every 1 year, if
you are past 65 and garden.


In the UK (and this is uk.rec.gardening) the advice is very different.
In fact, my Doctor refuses to give the 10-year booster to anyone over
50 at all. I can't imagine any way you would be able to get an annual
booster.

  #5  
Old 29-07-2006, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 118
Default Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!


wrote in message
ups.com...
: Vivek.M wrote:
: though a doc i spoke to suggested every 1 year, if
: you are past 65 and garden.
:
: In the UK (and this is uk.rec.gardening) the advice is very different.
: In fact, my Doctor refuses to give the 10-year booster to anyone over
: 50 at all. I can't imagine any way you would be able to get an annual
: booster.

Same advice at my docs,tetanus jab not necessary if you had the 3 jab course
:


  #6  
Old 29-07-2006, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,752
Default Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!


In article ,
Malcolm writes:
|
| Who should we believe, the NHS, the Indians, or your somewhat alarmist
| (if I may say so) advice? Unless, of course, you are a qualified
| medic???

Why on earth would that make the slightest difference? None of those
organisations are at all reliable on such topics.

In my life, the dogmatically held belief (and it was usually that, and
not just a recommendation) has changed from every three years, to every
five years, to every ten years, to seven shots in all, to five shots in
all, to every ten years, to five shots in all to God knows what it is now.
And, as usual, few of the changes were based on looking at the statistics,
and none were based on a controlled experiment; some were openly admitted
to be economically or politically inspired.

Every year does seem excessive, and that wasn't the recommendation even
in 1950, but whether every five or ten, or five shots in all, is more of
a matter of guesswork than anything else.


Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
  #7  
Old 29-07-2006, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,752
Default Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!


In article ,
"Robert" writes:
|
| Same advice at my docs,tetanus jab not necessary if you had the 3 jab course

Only THREE? That's the lowest I have heard of yet. I have some reason
to believe that advice isn't entirely reliable, and is based more on
political and economic grounds than medical ones. However, all of the
recommendations are based on what is an acceptable level of risk (i.e.
immunity is NOT absolute, despite what dogma says), and I don't know
the actual numbers.

Given the fact that the main source of tetanus spores largely dried up
over a century back, the number of viable ones much be dropping off.
They are very durable, but a century is a long time even for durable
spores.


Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
  #8  
Old 29-07-2006, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 617
Default Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!


"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
...

In article ,
Malcolm writes:
|
| Who should we believe, the NHS, the Indians, or your somewhat alarmist
| (if I may say so) advice? Unless, of course, you are a qualified
| medic???

Why on earth would that make the slightest difference? None of those
organisations are at all reliable on such topics.

In my life, the dogmatically held belief (and it was usually that, and
not just a recommendation) has changed from every three years, to every
five years, to every ten years, to seven shots in all, to five shots in
all, to every ten years, to five shots in all to God knows what it is now.
And, as usual, few of the changes were based on looking at the statistics,
and none were based on a controlled experiment; some were openly admitted
to be economically or politically inspired.

Every year does seem excessive, and that wasn't the recommendation even
in 1950, but whether every five or ten, or five shots in all, is more of
a matter of guesswork than anything else.


Regards,
Nick Maclaren.


I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned economically
motivated. My Doctor said that they no longer give the injection as routine
and would only consider it for a very high risk situation of which gardening
was not one. I never managed to find out what high risk consisted of.
I remember when any cut ended up with that very painful injection on the
bum.


  #9  
Old 29-07-2006, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 179
Default Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!


I remember when any cut ended up with that very painful injection on the
bum.



:-((

Ah yes :-((

But that was for a Boil on the back of the neck !!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
who never did see the connection :-((

other than it was the same body .......................... MINE!!!!!!!



--
------------------------------------------------
Royal Naval Electrical Branch Association
www.rnshipmates.co.uk


  #10  
Old 29-07-2006, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,092
Default Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

On 29/7/06 17:36, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

snip
I remember when any cut ended up with that very painful injection on the
bum.

I don't remember the injections as especially painful and I had them in my
arm. What I do recall is that a hard little bump remained under the skin
for many months afterwards. The only injection that ever knocked me flying
was Rubella which I had in my mid-thirties. I was in bed for two days after
that one!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(email address on website)

  #11  
Old 29-07-2006, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 139
Default Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
"Robert" writes:
|
| Same advice at my docs,tetanus jab not necessary if you had the 3 jab course

Only THREE? That's the lowest I have heard of yet.


I've only ever had 3 - one at one point as a booster - but after what
you say I looked at this:
http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles...ectionId=12478

It only refers to the initial jab, mind, not the boosers.

  #12  
Old 29-07-2006, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 617
Default Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!


"Sacha" wrote in message
...
On 29/7/06 17:36, in article , "Rupert
(W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

snip
I remember when any cut ended up with that very painful injection on the
bum.

I don't remember the injections as especially painful and I had them in my
arm. What I do recall is that a hard little bump remained under the skin
for many months afterwards. The only injection that ever knocked me
flying
was Rubella which I had in my mid-thirties. I was in bed for two days
after
that one!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(email address on website)


My Mum, who was a nurse, told me that it was painful because of the large
volume of liquid injected. They probably gave it on the bum (pardon the
expression) so that you could not see the massive syringe.
Why you have Rubella injection at 30 something? Sumat to do with impending
pregnancy etc?


  #13  
Old 29-07-2006, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,752
Default Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!


In article ,
Malcolm writes:
|
| Only THREE? That's the lowest I have heard of yet. I have some reason
| to believe that advice isn't entirely reliable, and is based more on
| political and economic grounds than medical ones.
|
| Well, as you're not a medic, what is the basis for your claim that the
| NHS are wrong?

Firstly, I didn't say that they were wrong - I said that their advice was
unreliable. Please read what I say and don't misquote.

Secondly, my "some reason" includes having read official statements saying
precisely that the advice was being changed on economic grounds, as well as
being sufficiently clued-up to be aware of the target-based politics in
the NHS.

Thirdly, I am a statistician, and therefore far better qualified than 95%
of medics and 99% of the NHS and politicians to evaluate such data.


Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
  #14  
Old 29-07-2006, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,752
Default Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!


In article ,
Janet Baraclough writes:
|
| Given the fact that the main source of tetanus spores largely dried up
| over a century back, the number of viable ones much be dropping off.
|
| ???
|
| The lower incidence in the UK today, surely reflects widespread
| human vaccination.

No. Even if I am wrong (see below), a more important factor would be
that a negligible proportion of people work on the land nowadays, and
a small proportion of even those work work on land used for livestock.

| www.nathnac.org/pro/factsheets/tetanus.htm
|
| says
|
| "Tetanus spores are present in the intestine and dung of horses, sheep,
| cattle, dogs, cats, rats, guinea pigs and chickens, and are passed into
| soil via faeces, making them ubiquitous in the environment."

My understanding is that tetanus does not reproduce in the intestine of
mammals, but infects them, and produces spores as the dead body decomposes.
That source dried up over a century back.


Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
  #15  
Old 29-07-2006, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,092
Default Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

On 29/7/06 18:13, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

snip

My Mum, who was a nurse, told me that it was painful because of the large
volume of liquid injected. They probably gave it on the bum (pardon the
expression) so that you could not see the massive syringe.
Why you have Rubella injection at 30 something? Sumat to do with impending
pregnancy etc?


Having had one pregnancy during which I remembered I'd never had Rubella or
the immunisation, I thought I better get the jab before I had any more
children. So I did and I did!
As I say, my Tet injections were in the arm and I don't remember either
massive syringes or pain but maybe nature has been merciful to my memory or
maybe things were a bit simpler in the 70s! I recall that either Typhoid
or Hepatitis jabs - one of those - made me feel a bit peelly wally for a
couple of hours but that's all.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(email address on website)

 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2004-2014 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.