Old 06-08-2006, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Madeira gardens

Finally and at last, we're going to Madeira. The general idea is to lie by
the pool, read and sip the occasional refreshment but obviously, we will be
doing the tourist thing, too. Any "absolutely do not miss this garden"
suggestions would be most welcome.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-08-2006, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/8/06 16:15, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

Finally and at last, we're going to Madeira. The general idea is to lie by
the pool, read and sip the occasional refreshment but obviously, we will be
doing the tourist thing, too. Any "absolutely do not miss this garden"
suggestions would be most welcome.

Much of the island is just one big garden stuffed with fabulous
plants, you'll love it.

Blandy's garden, (private non-group visit easy by bus or taxi, and
gives as much time as you want) and also the Jasmine "tea garden"
located on one of the levada footpaths above Funchal. (Not, the far
less interesting tea -garden above Funchal which all the tourguides
take coach parties to). I also made several visits to the fascinating
flower market (in Funchal). You can buy plants and bulbs very cheaply
there (and cutflowers boxed for flight carriage) and since Madeira
belongs to Portugal and is therefore European, import to UK is legal
and open.

Take strong walking shoes or boots; levada walks are wonderful and
their graded incline is never strenuous. The ones near towns and
villages provide close peeks into all sorts of private gardens, market
gardens etc. You sometimes find little garden stalls set out beside the
paths with plants for sale and a tin for the money.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Don't forget an afternoon tea at
Reid's Hotel.

Great info Janet and thank you so much. My 'stout walking shoes' are
Docksiders which seem to get me through most things. I love the idea of the
flower market - it sounds mouthwatering. And I'll drink a cup of tea to
your advice! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-08-2006, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

For organised walks and other things to do like boat trips try
www.holidayexcursions.com. You can book them before you go and it's
cheaper

You'll love it!

Old 07-08-2006, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/8/06 12:33, in article
,
" wrote:

For organised walks and other things to do like boat trips try
www.holidayexcursions.com. You can book them before you go and it's
cheaper

You'll love it!

Many thanks and to all who've emailed, too. I'm really looking forward to
it now!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-08-2006, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 7/8/06 12:33, in article
,
" wrote:

For organised walks and other things to do like boat trips try
www.holidayexcursions.com. You can book them before you go and it's
cheaper

You'll love it!

Many thanks and to all who've emailed, too. I'm really looking forward to
it now!

I was under the impression that it was a troll, but if you have read it,
then I'm convinced it isn't!(:-)

Alan

Old 07-08-2006, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
Finally and at last, we're going to Madeira. The general idea is to lie by
the pool, read and sip the occasional refreshment but obviously, we will be
doing the tourist thing, too. Any "absolutely do not miss this garden"
suggestions would be most welcome.

I don't have any particular knowledge, but there is a botanic garden on
Madeira.

http://www.sra.pt/jarbot/ing/frame1.htm
http://www.madeiraweb.info/indexet/m...ic/botanic.htm

You can find hundreds (thousands?) more URLs via Google.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 07-08-2006, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/8/06 21:32, in article lid, "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
Finally and at last, we're going to Madeira. The general idea is to lie by
the pool, read and sip the occasional refreshment but obviously, we will be
doing the tourist thing, too. Any "absolutely do not miss this garden"
suggestions would be most welcome.

I don't have any particular knowledge, but there is a botanic garden on
Madeira.

http://www.sra.pt/jarbot/ing/frame1.htm
http://www.madeiraweb.info/indexet/m...ic/botanic.htm

You can find hundreds (thousands?) more URLs via Google.

Thanks, Stewart and yes I did Google and have a guide book on its way, too.
However, I find that personal reactions make a huge difference. A garden I
will NOT name in UK but which friends of ours raved about 4 years ago, was a
huge disappointment to them just last month. In between a guide being
written and a visit being made, things can change drastically.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-08-2006, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
Finally and at last, we're going to Madeira. The general idea is to lie

by
the pool, read and sip the occasional refreshment but obviously, we will

be
doing the tourist thing, too. Any "absolutely do not miss this garden"
suggestions would be most welcome.
--
Sacha
South Devon
(email address on website)

We visit there on our next cruise. We fly to Barbados, cruise a few of the
other Islands, cruise across to Maderia and back to Southampton.

Not sure but I think we visit Maderia when we cruise on the new Cunard Queen
Victoria as well :-))

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 08-08-2006, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
Finally and at last, we're going to Madeira. The general idea is to lie

by
the pool, read and sip the occasional refreshment but obviously, we will

be
doing the tourist thing, too. Any "absolutely do not miss this garden"
suggestions would be most welcome.
--
Sacha
South Devon
(email address on website)

We visit there on our next cruise. We fly to Barbados, cruise a few of

the
other Islands, cruise across to Maderia and back to Southampton.

Not sure but I think we visit Maderia when we cruise on the new Cunard

Queen
Victoria as well :-))

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

We sometimes see the poor b*****s on the cruise ships being herded off for
their 40 min spin around one of the gardens (using the cable car will give
you more time to explore) or a short walk along the most boring of the
islands lavadas, I am sure the cruise will be wonderful but as a way of
exploring such a remarkable island its pointless.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 08-08-2006, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/8/06 14:37, in article ,
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

snip
We sometimes see the poor b*****s on the cruise ships being herded off for
their 40 min spin around one of the gardens (using the cable car will give
you more time to explore) or a short walk along the most boring of the
islands lavadas, I am sure the cruise will be wonderful but as a way of
exploring such a remarkable island its pointless.

That was our chief reaction to cruising. We got to a place we found
likeable or interesting and left it just hours later! I sometimes found
myself thinking "I'd like to go back to such and such tomorrow" and then
"Oh, I can't!" My brother's company is closely involved with P&O and he
has done all or part of all, their cruises as a result and it seems that the
itineraries are carefully worked out with regard to getting as many cruises
into as many sailing months as possible and of course, things like berthing
fees etc. It is a business, after all. I must say, that I found the whole
thing of having to wear 'black tie' garb for three or four evenings
pointless and very false but perhaps I've had to do too much of that in my
time so it holds no interest for me. You can, of course, go to a different
restaurant but that lets the rest of your table down a bit.
However, to get back to the point we're looking forward enormously to a week
exploring Madeira and having a nice little collapse in the swimming pool
from time to time, too! We've had a gardener from one of the better known
hotels visit us from time to time to buy plants to take back there because
their stock was getting old and tired. It will be interesting to see what
he's done with it!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 08-08-2006, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

We sometimes see the poor b*****s on the cruise ships being herded off for
their 40 min spin around one of the gardens (using the cable car will give
you more time to explore) or a short walk along the most boring of the
islands lavadas, I am sure the cruise will be wonderful but as a way of
exploring such a remarkable island its pointless.
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

It will of course only be a 'taster' of part of the Island. Two of my
children have been there and say it is wonderful and we will do this
'taster' and return for a longer period.

Very much like our World Cruise earlier this year, stop overs of 24 hours is
nowhere near enough, but we know where to return to, and where not to
:-((( Sri Lanka is one place not to visit again, but Sydney :-)))) and
Aruba and San Francisco.................. so many :-)) we intend to do it
again in 2009 and have already got some friends repeating with us :-))

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

O T. Visit to Madeira The Hound United Kingdom 2 02-12-2005 04:51 PM
Madeira Charlie Pridham United Kingdom 10 24-09-2003 12:21 PM
Madeira Charlie Pridham United Kingdom 0 18-09-2003 09:15 AM
non vasculars in MADEIRA help daniel vega Plant Science 1 18-06-2003 11:56 AM
madeira non vascular help daniel vega Plant Science 0 16-06-2003 10:56 PM