Old 14-08-2006, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant ID solved

Some time ago I sent this to urg:
"We bought a shrub earlier this year which we just cannot remember the name
of and of course, the label has disappeared, too. * It has mid green leaves
with a slight greyish cast and with very slightly serrated edges and clearly
visible veins. *The flowers are about half an inch across and are white
purses which don't seem to open. The under part of the purse is quite full
and rounded and the upper part is flatter and it has two little nubs
sticking out from it. * The closest I can think of in flower type is a small
flowered Calceolaria but it's not C. alba. "

I've now found out what it is from Secret Seeds, where we bought it. Ray had
a sudden flash of genius and remembered we'd called there after Charlie's
Clematis Day at Hestercombe.
http://www.secretseeds.com/acatalog/info.html

It's Bowkeria verticillata.
--