Old 28-08-2006, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What a pong!

Just emptied and removed my 12" easy up pool from the garden
which was sat on some tarpaulin
The ground below was grass lawn, with soil raked on top to level the ground
prior
to the erection of the pool.
Now its removed and the soil is breathing again there is a huge whiff
accross the neighbourhood
The grass below the soil I guess has composted and it smells like I've just
fertilised the whole area with Cow dung!
Any clues (apart from wait a few weeks) how to reduce or combat the smell ?
TIA
--
Vass
'02 YZF-R1

Old 28-08-2006, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
R R is offline

"Vass" wrote in message
Just emptied and removed my 12" easy up pool from the garden
which was sat on some tarpaulin
The ground below was grass lawn, with soil raked on top to level the
ground prior
to the erection of the pool.
Now its removed and the soil is breathing again there is a huge whiff
accross the neighbourhood
The grass below the soil I guess has composted and it smells like I've
just fertilised the whole area with Cow dung!
Any clues (apart from wait a few weeks) how to reduce or combat the smell
?
TIA

Either spike quite deep with a fork liberally and gently scarify to allow
smell to dissipate quicker and get the air to the roots.
or
Remove area and re-turf.

A light scattering of soft sand with seed in, and some clean potting compost
will assist in getting the grass replenished slightly quicker but don't
expect results overnight.,

Old 29-08-2006, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ive got one of these and had the same problem last year, the smell
will go quite quickly and you will be surprised how quickly the grass
comes back even though it has been covered for so long. Just hang in
there and do nothing!