Old 21-08-2006, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default unseen chilli pest

hi all

i have something eating tiny pin holes in my chilli leaves
and serrating the edges

I cant see what it is (even at night)
the only thing i have seen is an earwig
hanging upside down from inside one of the flowers!!

whatever it is are not harming the fruits, but its bothering me anyway

any thoughts

rgds

Old 22-08-2006, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue Sue is offline

Whatever it be there is one on my pepper plant too!

Sue W.
--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

"fourmations" wrote

Old 22-08-2006, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"fourmations" wrote
i have something eating tiny pin holes in my chilli leaves
and serrating the edges

I cant see what it is (even at night)
the only thing i have seen is an earwig
hanging upside down from inside one of the flowers!!

whatever it is are not harming the fruits, but its bothering me anyway

any thoughts

Well if it was Brassicas I would say Flea Beetle, but as it's capsicums then
all I can think of is Red Spider Mite which is too small to see with the
naked eye. Have a look with a 10X magnifying glass and see if you can see
any, especially on the underside of the leaves; if it's a really bad
infection you will find a fine silk type web.
Spray with cold soapy water daily especially under the leaves (they don't
like getting cold/wet) or use Bifenthrin.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 28-08-2006, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"fourmations" wrote
[...]

Unlikely to be red spider, they desiccate plants by sucking juices and
leave them withered and white. Small holes could be earwigs.

Three years ago we found green caterpillars eating large chunks out of
capsicum and basil leaves in a conservatory. They were about 1 inch long,
and difficult to spot as they lay along the green stems. There are species
moth caterpillars that fit the bill, our garden has a lot of lamium which
supports them in the wild.
Don't give up on flea beatles the damage is very characteristic. There are a
lot in our garden presumably eating wild plants as we are not cultivating
brasiccas.
Regards
David T

Questions for chilli experts Pam Moore United Kingdom 2 04-06-2003 10:44 AM
chilli plant grown with chilli seeds govinder United Kingdom 0 01-04-2003 11:20 PM
Chilli Seeds Charlie United Kingdom 10 22-03-2003 11:30 AM
Ancient chilli peppers Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 15 25-01-2003 05:19 PM
last year's chilli plants H United Kingdom 1 08-01-2003 01:29 PM