Too late for cutting grass?

Old 02-12-2006, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nel

Default Too late for cutting grass?

I never got round to cutting the lawn for one last time before winter.
However, today seems quite a nice day and for once I'm not running around
for other people!!

So are there any problems with cutting the grass so late into the year?

Old 02-12-2006, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nel" wrote in message
I never got round to cutting the lawn for one last time before winter.
However, today seems quite a nice day and for once I'm not running around
for other people!!

So are there any problems with cutting the grass so late into the year?

If the grass is growing carry on cutting throughout the winter.
I once had one of those lawns that needed to have the stripes to look
good-so it was mowed twice a week every week (not always by me). I can
remember one year when Jan/Feb were the only months when it was not mown.
Don't mow a frosty lawn or when it is so wet that you form skid marks (on
the lawn)

Old 02-12-2006, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nel" wrote in message
I never got round to cutting the lawn for one last time before winter.
However, today seems quite a nice day and for once I'm not running around
for other people!!

So are there any problems with cutting the grass so late into the year?

The main problem I have is that the grass is almost permanently too wet,
either from rain or dew which doesn't dry out all day.

Old 02-12-2006, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nel" wrote in message
I never got round to cutting the lawn for one last time before winter.
However, today seems quite a nice day and for once I'm not running around
for other people!!

So are there any problems with cutting the grass so late into the year?

No, as long at you do't scalp it, I'd like to cut mine but it's still a bit
wet.

Alan

Old 03-12-2006, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nel" asked:
snip

So are there any problems with cutting the grass so late into the
year?

---
Not according to the Parks and Gardens folk of our Town Council, who mow
grass throughout the year. I have even spotted a grass strip at the front of
the Job Centre being mowed in a mini downpour. I'm jolly glad that I didn't
have to clean the mower afterwards.

MikeCT

Old 03-12-2006, 07:28 PM

Wet grass doesn't cut very cleanly, so choose a day like today when the wind dries the grass. I've cut my lawn today with excellent results. Try to brush off any worm casts first, though, or you will squash them into large circular patches.

Bring the height of cut up a bit during the winter. The idea is just to take the tips off every so often to prevent the grass from becoming too lanky. By taking the tips off you are encouraging the grass to "tiller", which results in a thicker lawn.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MikeCT" wrote in message

"Nel" asked:
snip

So are there any problems with cutting the grass so late into the
year?

---
Not according to the Parks and Gardens folk of our Town Council, who mow
grass throughout the year. I have even spotted a grass strip at the front
of
the Job Centre being mowed in a mini downpour. I'm jolly glad that I
didn't
have to clean the mower afterwards.

MikeCT

council CONtractors cleaning mowers never seen that happen b4

Old 03-12-2006, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"pied piper" wrote in message

"MikeCT" wrote in message

"Nel" asked:
snip

So are there any problems with cutting the grass so late into the
year?

---
Not according to the Parks and Gardens folk of our Town Council, who mow
grass throughout the year. I have even spotted a grass strip at the front
of
the Job Centre being mowed in a mini downpour. I'm jolly glad that I
didn't
have to clean the mower afterwards.

MikeCT

council CONtractors cleaning mowers never seen that happen b4

CONtractors staff aren't paid enough to clean the fekin things.
They barely have enough intelligence to use some of the equipment I was
involved in servicing.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nel wrote:

I never got round to cutting the lawn for one last time before winter.
However, today seems quite a nice day and for once I'm not running around
for other people!!

So are there any problems with cutting the grass so late into the year?

My latest mowing of my lawn when I lived in the UK, was on Boxing Day,
and I also remember my first the next year was the 3rd January. Just
had the blades a bit higher than summer, and waited till the grass was
dry enough, using a rotary means you can cut it a bit wetter than with
a cylinder.