Old 24-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Registered User

Smile cat problem

hi guys,
this will be my first year doing a vegetable patch,its roughly 12x8ft, ive dug it all out and recently prepared the soil with bone and bloodmeal etc only to find my cat REALLY likes this place now to deposit all kinds of filth lol...any proven ideas to make her think "this little patch isnt so good after all"????...i find myself running the length of the garden shacking my fist each morning at her lol..thx guys and a happy xmas
Old 24-12-2006, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default cat problem

--
jellyfish

I bet your neighbours are pleased that at long last you have provided a
toilet for your bit of vermin. They can get on with gardening without the
mess you are complaining about now :-))

How do you think they have been feeling?

Do have a nice Christmas

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 24-12-2006, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"jellyfish" wrote in message

hi guys,
this will be my first year doing a vegetable patch,its
roughly 12x8ft, ive dug it all out and recently prepared the soil with
bone and bloodmeal etc only to find my cat REALLY likes this place now
to deposit all kinds of filth lol...any proven ideas to make her think
"this little patch isnt so good after all"????...i find myself running
the length of the garden shacking my fist each morning at her lol..thx
guys and a happy xmas

jellyfish

Well the cat sh1tee and pee won't do any harm and some might argue the
benefits. When you start to plant seed/seedlings etc in the spring cover the
whole plot with chicken wire until things get going. Meanwhile prepare a
small area of soft sieved bum comfy soil elsewhere,complete with a copy of
"The dog haters gazette" for the cat to read.

Old 25-12-2006, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

jellyfish wrote:

hi guys,
this will be my first year doing a vegetable patch,its
roughly 12x8ft, ive dug it all out and recently prepared the soil with
bone and bloodmeal etc only to find my cat REALLY likes this place now
to deposit all kinds of filth lol...any proven ideas to make her think
"this little patch isnt so good after all"????...i find myself running
the length of the garden shacking my fist each morning at her lol..thx
guys and a happy xmas

If you google for 'cat deterrents for your garden' there are various
schemes and gadgets on the market you could try. Here's a couple of
examples, which may be pricey depending on your budget:

http://www.critter-repellent.com/cat/cat-deterrent.php
http://www.conceptresearch.co.uk/cats_2.htm

Happy gardening to all in the coming year,

AA
http://www.myspace.com/aa_spaceagent

Old 28-12-2006, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

jellyfish wrote:
only to find my cat REALLY likes this place now

We have our own cat FAQ, but it starts from the presumption that they
are someone else's cats: http://home.clara.net/tmac/urgring/faqcats1.htm

Old 28-12-2006, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

More productive still,

Grow a buddleia bush in the corner of the garden.

Prune it right down to just above ground level, when you sow your seed in
March / April - which is the best time to maximise the flowering period late
in the summer for butterflies.

Lay the cut branches (which won't have any leaves) over the seed bed.

Shred / compost the branches once the seeds have come up - or I guess use
them for peas (I don't grow peas).

Best wishes,

Keith