Old 09-06-2008, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Blue Cedar tree is dying

If there anything I can do to save this beautiful tree?

It had been planted by previous owners right in front of the kitchen
window and they grow up to 30 to 40 feet so we had to move it. We
carefully transplanted it last autumn. The branches closest to the
ground have slowly turned dry-looking, then brown. We have lopped them
off in the hope that the tree may use all its energy to keep the top
going. But now I see that the very tip at the top is brown and the
brownness appears to be moving down that spike. It's nine months since
we move the tree into its new position. If it's dying it's a very slow
death. When I removed one of the lower branches recently I clearly saw
that the inner wood was moist. So it's been taking moisture in, for
sure.

Thanks,
Eddy.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008 14:45:08 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

In article ,
says...
If there anything I can do to save this beautiful tree?

It had been planted by previous owners right in front of the kitchen
window and they grow up to 30 to 40 feet so we had to move it. We
carefully transplanted it last autumn. The branches closest to the
ground have slowly turned dry-looking, then brown. We have lopped them
off in the hope that the tree may use all its energy to keep the top
going. But now I see that the very tip at the top is brown and the
brownness appears to be moving down that spike. It's nine months since
we move the tree into its new position. If it's dying it's a very slow
death. When I removed one of the lower branches recently I clearly saw
that the inner wood was moist. So it's been taking moisture in, for
sure.

Water it lots and spray the remaining foliage with water several times a
day, its drying out to quickly and has yet to re establish its root
system, sadly you may already be too late.

I moved a 8' standard variegated holly some years back to make way for
a conservatory. A tree-man from a local garden centre brought some
new trees and had a look at the holly. He advised frequent drenches
around the root ball with Miracle-Grow plus plenty of water.. The
holly lost most of its leaves and really sulked for about 2 years, but
4 years later is flourishing.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 10-06-2008, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:
Water it lots and spray the remaining foliage with water several times a
day, its drying out to quickly and has yet to re establish its root
system, sadly you may already be too late.

Thanks, Charlie! I should have thought of spraying it with water.
Instead I've been going past it and noticing the "lovely" smell of pine
it is giving off . . . as it is drying out. I didn't think that
spraying it with water would help.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

®óñ© © ²°±°-°² wrote:
I moved a 8' standard variegated holly some years back to make way for
a conservatory. A tree-man from a local garden centre brought some
new trees and had a look at the holly. He advised frequent drenches
around the root ball with Miracle-Grow plus plenty of water.. The
holly lost most of its leaves and really sulked for about 2 years, but
4 years later is flourishing.

Thanks, Ron, I'll get to work with Miracle-Grow as well.

E.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
If there anything I can do to save this beautiful tree?
It had been planted by previous owners right in front of the kitchen
window and they grow up to 30 to 40 feet so we had to move it. We
carefully transplanted it last autumn.
Blue cedars notoriously do not survive being moved once established. Don't waste too much time/money on it, you aren't very likely to succeed.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ron, I have only one product labelled "Miracle Gro" in the shed at the
moment . . . but it is "Miracle Gro Lawn Food" - mainly nitrogen.
Online I see there are a number of different "Miracle Gro" products.
You probably mean the general all-purpose one?

http://www.plantmenow.co.uk/acatalog...lant-food.html

Eddy.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:27:45 +0100, Eddy
wrote and included this (or
some of this):

Ron, I have only one product labelled "Miracle Gro" in the shed at the
moment . . . but it is "Miracle Gro Lawn Food" - mainly nitrogen.
Online I see there are a number of different "Miracle Gro" products.
You probably mean the general all-purpose one?

http://www.plantmenow.co.uk/acatalog...lant-food.html

That's it.. All-purpose.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²

Old 10-06-2008, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 2 pics of dying Blue Cedar:

You probably mean the general all-purpose one?

http://www.plantmenow.co.uk/acatalog...lant-food.html

That's it.. All-purpose.

Thanks, Ron.

Here are two pics of the poor tree.

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...yingcedar1.jpg

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...yingcedar1.jpg

Any further thoughts from anybody on how to rescue this tree with
intensive care will be much appreciated.

Eddy.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

echinosum wrote:
Blue cedars notoriously do not survive being moved once established.
Don't waste too much time/money on it, you aren't very likely to
succeed.

Oh, dear. I can only hope that I have named the tree wrongly! Do you
agree it is a Blue Cedar. See email below for links to two pics.

I am wondering whether I am giving it the wrong name because I feel sure
I read somewhere that they are very adaptable.

Eddy.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:03:51 +0100, Eddy
wrote and included this (or
some of this):

You probably mean the general all-purpose one?

http://www.plantmenow.co.uk/acatalog...lant-food.html

That's it.. All-purpose.

Thanks, Ron.

Here are two pics of the poor tree.

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...yingcedar1.jpg

http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...yingcedar1.jpg

Any further thoughts from anybody on how to rescue this tree with
intensive care will be much appreciated.

It does seem to be in competition for water with the nearby
trees/shrubbery.

Keep watered, and mist overhead frequently.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²
Old 11-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Oh, dear. I can only hope that I have named the tree wrongly! Do you agree it is a Blue Cedar.
You're in luck, definitely not a blue cedar (Cedrus atlanticus). A closer view would help, but it has the jizz of a spruce, perhaps Picea glauca.

Despite what was said above, I thought it was generally recommended not to heavily feed suffering plants, unless it was lack of nutrients they were suffering from. Rather wait for them to recover before then giving them a good feed. Doesn't look like it has been short of nutrients, it's got a long leader.

It is looking very dry where you have put it. All the rain we have had this year and there is yellow dry-looking grass around it. These plants grow in places of high rainfall naturally.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 9 Jun, 14:10, Eddy wrote:
If there anything I can do to save this beautiful tree? *

It had been planted by previous owners right in front of the kitchen
window and they grow up to 30 to 40 feet so we had to move it. *We
carefully transplanted it last autumn. *The branches closest to the
ground have slowly turned dry-looking, then brown. *We have lopped them
off in the hope that the tree may use all its energy to keep the top
going. *But now I see that the very tip at the top is brown and the
brownness appears to be moving down that spike. *It's nine months since
we move the tree into its new position. *If it's dying it's a very slow
death. *When I removed one of the lower branches recently I clearly saw
that the inner wood was moist. *So it's been taking moisture in, for
sure. *

Thanks,
Eddy.

Charlie's right, it's probably too late to save it. In the hope of
saving somebody else's tree, something like this really needs time to
prepare the rootball before moving it, that is at least a growing
season. Allow a good diameter of rootball but bear in mind the
practicalities of moving this sort of weight (make it as big as you
can move), dig a deep trench all round it, cutting through any roots.
Replace that soil with a good friable compost /soil mix - lots of
small fibrous roots will regenerate into that during the growing
season. When you come to move the tree you'll lift it with all of that
fibrous root and you'll stand a chance of success following the advice
Charlie's already given. Use Google to find about moving mature trees,
you'll come up with some spectacular stuff about moving *really big*
trees.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 41690f6b-06f2-46a1-a383-
,
says...
On 9 Jun, 14:10, Eddy wrote:
[...]

I think there is also some stuff you can spray the tree with that helps
prevent water loss (like the stuff they use on Christmas trees) but no
use in this case as the damage has been done.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 12-06-2008, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rod wrote:
Charlie's right, it's probably too late to save it. In the hope of
saving somebody else's tree, something like this really needs time to
prepare the rootball before moving it, that is at least a growing
season. Allow a good diameter of rootball but bear in mind the
practicalities of moving this sort of weight (make it as big as you
can move), dig a deep trench all round it, cutting through any roots.
Replace that soil with a good friable compost /soil mix - lots of
small fibrous roots will regenerate into that during the growing
season. When you come to move the tree you'll lift it with all of that
fibrous root and you'll stand a chance of success following the advice
Charlie's already given. Use Google to find about moving mature trees,
you'll come up with some spectacular stuff about moving *really big*
trees.

Thanks, Rod. I think one of the contributing factors to this beautiful
tree's demise was that it had been planted right against a decking wall
almost, which meant that about half of its roots travelled under the
decking. So only half "the pie", to to speak, of its root system could
be dug out. The other half, under the decking, were simply inaccessible
and had to be sliced through. Transplanting it was still worthwhile
though, just in case it survived. It couldn't be left right in front of
the kitchen window. I think what hurts is that right through winter it
looked OK. It's only since this spring that the fact of there having
been absolutely no new growth, plus slow browning of the lower branches,
began to emerge.

Anyway, it's now getting loads of TLC, and I'll keep you posted.

Eddy.