A Gardening forum. GardenBanter.co.uk

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » GardenBanter.co.uk forum » Regional Gardening Discussions » United Kingdom
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

conifer hedge turning brown problem



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13-01-2007, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default conifer hedge turning brown problem

Hi,

I have a hedge made up of 5 conifers. I think they are leyland cypress
types.The hedge is around 20ft tall. I also have a tree in close
proximity to the hedge, and up until 2 years ago this was covering a
portion of the hedge. The tree was pruned 2 years ago and the hedge
when exposed showed a small brown area. Over 2 years this area has died
off but shows a few green leaves. Not knowing anything about gardening,
my reasoning was that the tree covered the hedge leaves and caused
this.

In november 2006 the hedge was pruned to remove the new growth, shorty
after this I noticed that there are some other brown patches appearing
nowhere near the tree. They are randomly scattered and are in the
middle of the hedge height wise.

I do not think drainage is a problem as from what I read this shows as
a problem with browning from the bottom. I have checked for red spiders
too, and don't think that is the issue.

Around 1 year ago I covered the area around the based of the conifers
with cobbles to prevent cats using the soft soil as a toilet. Its not
totally covered but the cobbles run in a row underneath and along the
hedge. Someone recently told me they once covered the base of a conifer
with pebbles and it killed it? Is there any reasoning behind this?

Any ideas or other suggestions as to reason for the browning?

Thanks,

James

Ads
  #2  
Old 13-01-2007, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 41
Default conifer hedge turning brown problem


wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

I have a hedge made up of 5 conifers. I think they are leyland cypress
types.The hedge is around 20ft tall. I also have a tree in close
proximity to the hedge, and up until 2 years ago this was covering a
portion of the hedge. The tree was pruned 2 years ago and the hedge
when exposed showed a small brown area. Over 2 years this area has died
off but shows a few green leaves. Not knowing anything about gardening,
my reasoning was that the tree covered the hedge leaves and caused
this.

In november 2006 the hedge was pruned to remove the new growth, shorty
after this I noticed that there are some other brown patches appearing
nowhere near the tree. They are randomly scattered and are in the
middle of the hedge height wise.

I do not think drainage is a problem as from what I read this shows as
a problem with browning from the bottom. I have checked for red spiders
too, and don't think that is the issue.

Around 1 year ago I covered the area around the based of the conifers
with cobbles to prevent cats using the soft soil as a toilet. Its not
totally covered but the cobbles run in a row underneath and along the
hedge. Someone recently told me they once covered the base of a conifer
with pebbles and it killed it? Is there any reasoning behind this?

Any ideas or other suggestions as to reason for the browning?

Whoa some useful info' - another way to kill Leylandi. Probably a load of
cobblers 'though.


  #3  
Old 13-01-2007, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,966
Default conifer hedge turning brown problem

writes
Hi,

I have a hedge made up of 5 conifers. I think they are leyland cypress
types.The hedge is around 20ft tall. I also have a tree in close
proximity to the hedge, and up until 2 years ago this was covering a
portion of the hedge. The tree was pruned 2 years ago and the hedge
when exposed showed a small brown area. Over 2 years this area has died
off but shows a few green leaves. Not knowing anything about gardening,
my reasoning was that the tree covered the hedge leaves and caused
this.


Yes, they'll die off where they're completely shaded by an adjacent tree
or wall

In november 2006 the hedge was pruned to remove the new growth, shorty
after this I noticed that there are some other brown patches appearing
nowhere near the tree. They are randomly scattered and are in the
middle of the hedge height wise.


If the pruning was severe enough to cut beyond the green growth here and
there, then that region of the tree is unlikely to sprout any new growth
and will remain brown.


Around 1 year ago I covered the area around the based of the conifers
with cobbles to prevent cats using the soft soil as a toilet. Its not
totally covered but the cobbles run in a row underneath and along the
hedge. Someone recently told me they once covered the base of a conifer
with pebbles and it killed it? Is there any reasoning behind this?


I would be surprised by that


--
Kay
  #4  
Old 14-01-2007, 12:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default conifer hedge turning brown problem


K wrote:
writes
Hi,

I have a hedge made up of 5 conifers. I think they are leyland cypress
types.The hedge is around 20ft tall. I also have a tree in close
proximity to the hedge, and up until 2 years ago this was covering a
portion of the hedge. The tree was pruned 2 years ago and the hedge
when exposed showed a small brown area. Over 2 years this area has died
off but shows a few green leaves. Not knowing anything about gardening,
my reasoning was that the tree covered the hedge leaves and caused
this.


Yes, they'll die off where they're completely shaded by an adjacent tree
or wall

In november 2006 the hedge was pruned to remove the new growth, shorty
after this I noticed that there are some other brown patches appearing
nowhere near the tree. They are randomly scattered and are in the
middle of the hedge height wise.


If the pruning was severe enough to cut beyond the green growth here and
there, then that region of the tree is unlikely to sprout any new growth
and will remain brown.


Around 1 year ago I covered the area around the based of the conifers
with cobbles to prevent cats using the soft soil as a toilet. Its not
totally covered but the cobbles run in a row underneath and along the
hedge. Someone recently told me they once covered the base of a conifer
with pebbles and it killed it? Is there any reasoning behind this?


I would be surprised by that


--
Kay



Kay,

Thanks for the reply, it was probably the overcutting then. I actually
paid someone to do that too! Where the completely dead bit is, there is
one or too green leaves so maybe I will be lucky and some of it will
grow back or cover it.

Thanks,

James

  #5  
Old 14-01-2007, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,719
Default conifer hedge turning brown problem



James wrote after K wrote: (SNIP)

If the pruning was severe enough to cut beyond the green growth here and
there, then that region of the tree is unlikely to sprout any new growth
and will remain brown.


Thanks for the reply, it was probably the overcutting then. I actually
paid someone to do that too! Where the completely dead bit is, there is
one or too green leaves so maybe I will be lucky and some of it will
grow back or cover it.


It's because you left it too long before getting someone to tidy it up, once
at the proper height for a hedge (say 2 metres) you must start pruning and
cutting, just nipping out tips to start with, especially with a conifer for
the reason Kay mentioned.
A Leylandii hedge is very high maintenance as they grow so fast, needs
cutting twice a year minimum to look any good and keep it within bounds as
they never stop growing, in fact nobody knows how big they will grow
eventually as every one ever planted is still growing bigger.
--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK


  #7  
Old 14-01-2007, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default conifer hedge turning brown problem


Bob Hobden wrote:
James wrote after K wrote: (SNIP)

If the pruning was severe enough to cut beyond the green growth here and
there, then that region of the tree is unlikely to sprout any new growth
and will remain brown.


Thanks for the reply, it was probably the overcutting then. I actually
paid someone to do that too! Where the completely dead bit is, there is
one or too green leaves so maybe I will be lucky and some of it will
grow back or cover it.


It's because you left it too long before getting someone to tidy it up, once
at the proper height for a hedge (say 2 metres) you must start pruning and
cutting, just nipping out tips to start with, especially with a conifer for
the reason Kay mentioned.
A Leylandii hedge is very high maintenance as they grow so fast, needs
cutting twice a year minimum to look any good and keep it within bounds as
they never stop growing, in fact nobody knows how big they will grow
eventually as every one ever planted is still growing bigger.
--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK


I do have it cut twice a year, however when that is done its generally
'new growth' that is pruned. I don't really have a clue about gardening
at all, but the hedge if not pruned, it kind of 'bushes' out a bit at
the sides and top, I wouldn't think it would grow to these so called
epic proportions if not cut. Maybe my hedge is not the type that grows
like mad, but I have done some research using books into what type it
could be. All the books mention buds on the leaves, and this has none
at the moment (I am assuming these will come in spring). Based on the
leaf type only, it is one or a derivative of these:

- false cypress
- leyland cypress
- arbor-vitae (leaves match but all examples look like bushes not high
hedges)

What about fertilizer or some kind of soil feed, is there anything I
can do with regards to this to stimulate growth of the brown area?

James

  #8  
Old 15-01-2007, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 617
Default conifer hedge turning brown problem


wrote in message
ups.com...

Bob Hobden wrote:
James wrote after K wrote: (SNIP)

If the pruning was severe enough to cut beyond the green growth here
and
there, then that region of the tree is unlikely to sprout any new
growth
and will remain brown.


Thanks for the reply, it was probably the overcutting then. I actually
paid someone to do that too! Where the completely dead bit is, there is
one or too green leaves so maybe I will be lucky and some of it will
grow back or cover it.


It's because you left it too long before getting someone to tidy it up,
once
at the proper height for a hedge (say 2 metres) you must start pruning
and
cutting, just nipping out tips to start with, especially with a conifer
for
the reason Kay mentioned.
A Leylandii hedge is very high maintenance as they grow so fast, needs
cutting twice a year minimum to look any good and keep it within bounds
as
they never stop growing, in fact nobody knows how big they will grow
eventually as every one ever planted is still growing bigger.
--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK


I do have it cut twice a year, however when that is done its generally
'new growth' that is pruned. I don't really have a clue about gardening
at all, but the hedge if not pruned, it kind of 'bushes' out a bit at
the sides and top, I wouldn't think it would grow to these so called
epic proportions if not cut. Maybe my hedge is not the type that grows
like mad, but I have done some research using books into what type it
could be. All the books mention buds on the leaves, and this has none
at the moment (I am assuming these will come in spring). Based on the
leaf type only, it is one or a derivative of these:

- false cypress
- leyland cypress
- arbor-vitae (leaves match but all examples look like bushes not high
hedges)

What about fertilizer or some kind of soil feed, is there anything I
can do with regards to this to stimulate growth of the brown area?

James


Could the hedge be Thuja-similar to Leylandii but with the important
difference that it can regenerate. ? Worth having a Goole.


  #9  
Old 17-01-2007, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 26
Default conifer hedge turning brown problem


Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
It's because you left it too long before getting someone to tidy it up,
once
at the proper height for a hedge (say 2 metres) you must start pruning
and
cutting, just nipping out tips to start with, especially with a conifer
for
the reason Kay mentioned.
A Leylandii hedge is very high maintenance as they grow so fast, needs
cutting twice a year minimum to look any good and keep it within bounds
as
they never stop growing, in fact nobody knows how big they will grow
eventually as every one ever planted is still growing bigger.
--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK


I do have it cut twice a year, however when that is done its generally
'new growth' that is pruned. I don't really have a clue about gardening
at all, but the hedge if not pruned, it kind of 'bushes' out a bit at
the sides and top, I wouldn't think it would grow to these so called
epic proportions if not cut. Maybe my hedge is not the type that grows
like mad, but I have done some research using books into what type it
could be. All the books mention buds on the leaves, and this has none
at the moment (I am assuming these will come in spring). Based on the
leaf type only, it is one or a derivative of these:

- false cypress
- leyland cypress
- arbor-vitae (leaves match but all examples look like bushes not high
hedges)

What about fertilizer or some kind of soil feed, is there anything I
can do with regards to this to stimulate growth of the brown area?

James


Could the hedge be Thuja-similar to Leylandii but with the important
difference that it can regenerate. ? Worth having a Goole.


Thuja does regenerate also so does LLeyandii if an affected part is cut
off where is joins the trunk but often as you say LLeyandii does not
respond as other Thuja types

  #10  
Old 13-06-2008, 12:59 AM
RMJ RMJ is offline
Registered User
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jun 2008
Posts: 1
Default

Hello, everyone.

I have had 360 large Thuja planted in March. They are each 5m+ So obviously had large rootballs.

They have brown patches now, I presumed these areas were just snapped twigs during transit that have finally died. But there seems to be brown tips on many of the trees.

They've had water over and above the plenty of rain over this period, and the soil is moist. There seems to be one tree so far that clearly hasn't made it, but I was expecting to loose a few.

At 40,000 spent, I'm panicking slightly!!

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
conifer hedge turning brown problem-dsc00311%5B1%5D.jpg  conifer hedge turning brown problem-dsc00312%5B1%5D.jpg  conifer hedge turning brown problem-dsc00317_2.jpg  
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2004-2014 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.