Old 29-03-2007, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Broad beans flowering already!?

My broad beans, sowed last autumn, are nice sturdy young plants now.
However, most of them have already started to flower, despite them being no
more than 12" tall, and it being no less than about 3 months early! Has
anyone else encountered this problem (if indeed it is a problem)? Should I
pinch the flowers out or just let them get on with it?

Andy

--
spargeatbtinternetdotcom

We must be fearless
We must have fearlessness
We must not be fearlessnessless
We must not have fearlessnesslessness
We must be fearlessnesslessnessless
Old 29-03-2007, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David D Stretch wrote:
: On Thursday 29 Mar 2007 11:45, Andy Spragg
: ) wrote:
:
:: My broad beans, sowed last autumn, are nice sturdy young plants now.
:: However, most of them have already started to flower, despite them
:: being no more than 12" tall, and it being no less than about 3
:: months early! Has anyone else encountered this problem (if indeed it
:: is a problem)? Should I pinch the flowers out or just let them get
:: on with it?
:
: Ours were planted at the same time, and are a bit smaller than that.
: But they are also flowering.
: David

Well that's what they do. Don't pinch them out yet, let them grow taller
with more flower. I pinch out when they're about 3 feet or so tall. I use a
few ropes tied horizontally along the row at 9" intervals approx to support
the row against the wind

Old 29-03-2007, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Andy Spragg wrote:
My broad beans, sowed last autumn, are nice sturdy young plants now.
However, most of them have already started to flower, despite them being no
more than 12" tall, and it being no less than about 3 months early! Has
anyone else encountered this problem (if indeed it is a problem)? Should I
pinch the flowers out or just let them get on with it?

Andy

Don't pinch 'em out, Andy. Your gonna have the first broad beans
in the country!

Sam (enviously).

ps pick'em young.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

: ) wrote:
:
:: My broad beans, sowed last autumn, are nice sturdy young plants now.
:: However, most of them have already started to flower, despite them
:: being no more than 12" tall, and it being no less than about 3
:: months early! Has anyone else encountered this problem (if indeed it
:: is a problem)? Should I pinch the flowers out or just let them get
:: on with it?
:
: Ours were planted at the same time, and are a bit smaller than that.
: But they are also flowering.
: David

Well that's what they do. Don't pinch them out yet, let them grow taller
with more flower. I pinch out when they're about 3 feet or so tall. I use a
few ropes tied horizontally along the row at 9" intervals approx to support
the row against the wind

So nothing unusual then? It's just that it's the third time I've grown
autumn-sown IIRC, and I don't remember anything like such early flowering
before ... mind you, I'm hard-pressed to remember /anything/ before last
week these days.

Andy

--
spargeatbtinternetdotcom