Old 14-04-2007, 01:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing grapes

I've bought 2 vitus vinifera plants from Wilkos and now they are growing
quite well and having never grown grapes before, do I remove the lower
shoots at this early stage of the year in order to concentrate on the main
upward trunk / two potential trunks?

I've read lots of good material already on the net, but am wondering if you
can cut shoots off during the growing season. All the diagrams I've seen so
far are to explain how the plant should look after pruning by the time it
gets to its first winter - but they all seem to omit whether you should be
de-shooting the off-shoots as the plant grows during its first year (ie
pre-winter).

Any ideas?

Also, whilst we are on the subject, I'm actually growing these plants
indoors in a very sunny conservatory type room in big pots! I've read that
the roots need a good 30cm deep to spread but what about horizontally
(underground)? Do they need about a 30cm width to grow the roots too? My pot
is fairly large, but if it needs more than 30cm width, I may run into
problems. And no, I can't plant them outside, I live in a flat : (

Old 14-04-2007, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007, greenfingers wrote:

I've bought 2 vitus vinifera plants from Wilkos and now they are growing
quite well and having never grown grapes before, do I remove the lower
shoots at this early stage of the year in order to concentrate on the main
upward trunk / two potential trunks?

I've read lots of good material already on the net, but am wondering if you
can cut shoots off during the growing season. All the diagrams I've seen so
far are to explain how the plant should look after pruning by the time it
gets to its first winter - but they all seem to omit whether you should be
de-shooting the off-shoots as the plant grows during its first year (ie
pre-winter).

You can remove any new shoots that you don't want either for fruit or
for shape.

Also, whilst we are on the subject, I'm actually growing these plants
indoors in a very sunny conservatory type room in big pots! I've read that
the roots need a good 30cm deep to spread but what about horizontally
(underground)? Do they need about a 30cm width to grow the roots too? My pot
is fairly large, but if it needs more than 30cm width, I may run into
problems. And no, I can't plant them outside, I live in a flat : (

In the open they will send roots out a long way so give them as much
lateral space as you can.

David
--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 14-04-2007, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

A couple of sites from a google search revealed that tese are to acidic to
be suitable for eating.

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Old 14-04-2007, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 14 Apr, 08:20, "Baal" wrote:
[...]

vitus vinifera is just the generic name for Grape vines, there should
also have been a variety name on the label.
The old way to grow a grapevine was to plant it outside the greenhouse
and to train the shoot through the wall into the greenhouse, that way
you have the benifit of the natural soil and moisture combined with
the protection and heat from the greenhouse.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

Old 14-04-2007, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007, Baal wrote:

I've bought 2 vitus vinifera plants from Wilkos and now they are growing
quite well and having never grown grapes before, do I remove the lower
shoots at this early stage of the year in order to concentrate on the main
upward trunk / two potential trunks?

A couple of sites from a google search revealed that tese are to acidic to
be suitable for eating.

Since the original poster didn't specify which variety of Vitis Vinifera
he had I'm not sure what you were looking up! There are plenty of
varieties which do ripen successfully in England.

David

Old 15-04-2007, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com, Dave
Hill writes

wrote in message

[...]

Yup, we have one just like that growing in our conservatory (both
conservatory and vine - as far as we know, are now into their second
century) doesn't much help the OP.

Not grown one in a pot, but a 30 cm pot doesn't sound that big for a
grape vine - but if their is nor more space, all you can do is put in
the biggest pot you can and then stop worrying about it. It will grow,
just maybe not to it's full potential.

Re the pruning, if you think it needs it take off the shoots, they are
vigorous plants
--
Chris French

Old 16-04-2007, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
[...]
I remember reading/hearing (perhaps on a visit to Kew) that when their
great vine was planted a dead horse was put in the planting hole, then
they put in the vine...

Doesn't that sound like quite a good way to kill a vine?

--
Mike.

Old 16-04-2007, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 16 Apr, 20:49, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:
"Anne Jackson" wrote in message

[...] I remember reading/hearing (perhaps on a visit to Kew) that when their
great vine was planted a dead horse was put in the planting hole, then
they put in the vine...

Doesn't that sound like quite a good way to kill a vine?

--
Mike.

I doubt a horse, but a dead sheep was common, it provides a slow
release of fertilizer over several years as the different parts of the
body break down,
it could still be a good way to get rid of road kill as long as you
have ground that you could dig deep enough to bury it properly
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

more grapes vs better grapes [email protected][_2_] Gardening 4 08-07-2013 02:10 AM
Growing grapes in Austin. ceed Texas 3 01-05-2006 05:28 PM
Growing grapes from seeds - help please. Wolf Kirchmeir Gardening 12 15-09-2005 06:13 PM
Need help growing Concord grapes Toonartist Edible Gardening 4 04-09-2003 06:32 PM
Need help growing Concord grapes Toonartist Gardening 4 04-09-2003 06:32 PM