Death of a 'Crank'

Old 20-04-2007, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Death of a 'Crank'

Kay Canter who, with her husband David, started the vegetarian restaurant
ball rolling with their restaurant Cranks in Carnaby Street in the 60s, has
died in Totnes, Devon at the age of 85.
Her obituary in one of our local papers says that she used to make wholemeal
bread in her kitchen in the country and then travel up to London, clutching
the loaves destined for their restaurant. Cranks in Carnaby Street started
before that road achieved its famous heights and their restaurant was
patronised by pop stars, including the Beatles.
When her husband died, she moved to Devon where her daughter lives and there
is a Cranks restaurant at Dartington Cider Press.
She used to come here from time to time and lived in this village before she
moved to Totnes and she was always unfailingly charming and a delight to
talk to. When my husband first met her, the person introducing them said
"this is Mr Hubbard who raises pinks" (as he did then) and she thought she'd
heard "pigs". Ray says there was a bit of a stormy interlude until they
sorted that one out!
It's amazing to think that their food philosophy was considered to be so
'strange' that the restaurant was called Cranks, whereas now, so many people
embrace the vegetarian and organic beliefs they pioneered in their own way.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 22-04-2007, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20 Apr, 22:46, Sacha wrote:
Kay Canter who, with her husband David, started the vegetarian restaurant
ball rolling with their restaurant Cranks in Carnaby Street in the 60s, has
died in Totnes, Devon at the age of 85.

(snip)

How truly amazing. The first cook book I have ever bought in England
was the Cranks Recipe Book 26 years ago. I think I got it in a second
hand book shop and I was astonished to discover that there was books
about vegetarian cooking. That's why I bought it. Over the years it
stood there on my kitchen shelves and the only thing I now have left
of it is one page, from the savouries section, page 133/134 with
Buckweat pancakes, stir fried leeks and mushrooms and Cauliflower
cheese. I kept this page in a plastic portfolio where all my recipes
are filled, because I had stuck a sticker on this page with the recipe
for pumpkin soup - the best I've ever made and tasted. I didn't know I
had in my possession such an interesting part of English cooking
history. Thank you.

Old 27-04-2007, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
Kay Canter who, with her husband David, started the vegetarian restaurant
ball rolling with their restaurant Cranks in Carnaby Street in the 60s, has
died in Totnes, Devon at the age of 85.
Her obituary in one of our local papers says that she used to make wholemeal
bread in her kitchen in the country and then travel up to London, clutching
the loaves destined for their restaurant. Cranks in Carnaby Street started
before that road achieved its famous heights and their restaurant was
patronised by pop stars, including the Beatles.

We were newly married and working in London then, and Cranks is the only
place I can still clearly remember going to lunch at (except the Italian
restaurant where I got the worst food poisoning of my life from prawns
that had gone off; this was two weeks before my poor daughter was born,
she had hiccups for two whole weeks inside me, right up until the birth
- and with somewhat disastrous consequences for her digestion even
today!). But as for Cranks, it's just as clear as if it had been
yesterday: the ambience, the food ...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin