Old 28-04-2007, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Weed killers

Got a patch of land to clear on clifftop prior to sowing with wildflowers.
At the moment it has some dockens and lots of hogweed. We have stuff for the
dockens but not sure of the hogweed. We have roundup but would like to keep
the grasses growing to hold the soil surface together. Past years we have
just cut the hogweed down with a strimmer but been burnt that many times I
would like to clear them for good.
swap male for mail

Old 29-04-2007, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paddy" wrote in message
Got a patch of land to clear on clifftop prior to sowing with wildflowers.
At the moment it has some dockens and lots of hogweed. We have stuff for
the dockens but not sure of the hogweed. We have roundup but would like to
keep the grasses growing to hold the soil surface together. Past years we
have just cut the hogweed down with a strimmer but been burnt that many
times I would like to clear them for good.
swap male for mail

Treatment with Glyphosate is the recommended way to clear Hogweed. The
problem is that the plants will have produced thousands of seeds which will
germinate for several seasons. If you can slice through the root structure
underground then you will dampen the plants ardour but they will resprout
with fresh young growth fairly quickly. If you hit this young growth with
Glyphosate the plant will eventually die.
Don't be too impatient because it may take several weeks before you notice
any effect.
A more labour intensive but perhaps quicker solution is to pump weedkiller
directly into the stem at various heights by use of a syringe.

ps. I actually grow this beast as an ornamental plant --just one:-)

Old 29-04-2007, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/4/07 10:56, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:
snip

ps. I actually grow this beast as an ornamental plant --just one:-)

How do you keep the hogweed under control, Rupert? Do you prevent it
seeding or do you weed kill the seedlings?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-04-2007, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/4/07 11:13, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 11:08:04 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 29/4/07 10:56, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:
snip

ps. I actually grow this beast as an ornamental plant --just one:-)

How do you keep the hogweed under control, Rupert? Do you prevent it
seeding or do you weed kill the seedlings?

Somebody here might be interested in the answer
http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/n...25909.0.hogwee
d_may_halt_olympic_work.php

Hogweed may halt Olympic work
By Jenny Clarke

WORK on the Olympic sites could be snarled up when builders try to get to the
root of a mammoth problem.

The highly poisonous giant hogweed has invaded vast areas of land earmarked
for
development of the Olympic stadium, village and velo park on the
Stratford/Leyton border.

Capable of causing painful burns and blisters, the species can grow to over
9ft
tall.

When the sap on its large hollow stems comes into contact with the skin, a
painful reaction kicks in.

snip

Sounds like a job for flame throwers! Talk about the power of Mother
Nature... ;-(

Old 29-04-2007, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 29/4/07 10:56, in article , "Rupert
(W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:
snip

ps. I actually grow this beast as an ornamental plant --just one:-)

How do you keep the hogweed under control, Rupert? Do you prevent it
seeding or do you weed kill the seedlings?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
(remove weeds from address)
Garden Banter does not have permission to use my posts.
Join uk.rec.gardening instead.

Once it has flowered and set seed I remove the whole flower head and dump it
in the wormery.
I forget the names of the chemicals responsible for the burns but it is only
active at a certain time of the season and certain individuals seem to be
more prone to bad reactions than others.
A thug of a plant and not to be messed with.

Old 29-04-2007, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

wrote:

On 29/4/07 10:56, in article , "Rupert
(W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:
snip

[...]

I've got a flame thrower that I got at a mart sale a few years ago. Used it
on dockens and nettles succesfully and will try it on the hogweed before it
gets to any size. Following advice on web when getting rid of the dockens
and nettles I just gave them a quick frazzle and then went back about a week
later to burn away the dying plants. With this lot of hogweed I wonder if
you can hire the m.o.d flame throwers?
I suppose I better get some new jets and seals for the existing one.
Paddy

Old 29-04-2007, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/4/07 11:38, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 29/4/07 10:56, in article , "Rupert
(W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:
snip

ps. I actually grow this beast as an ornamental plant --just one:-)

How do you keep the hogweed under control, Rupert? Do you prevent it
seeding or do you weed kill the seedlings?

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
(remove weeds from address)
Garden Banter does not have permission to use my posts.
Join uk.rec.gardening instead.

Once it has flowered and set seed I remove the whole flower head and dump it
in the wormery.
I forget the names of the chemicals responsible for the burns but it is only
active at a certain time of the season and certain individuals seem to be
more prone to bad reactions than others.
A thug of a plant and not to be messed with.
Having said all that, there is one online retailer of this plant:-)

A friend of ours got very badly burned trying to get one out of his stream.
The seeds had been carried downstream to his garden and set up home. He
ended up in hospital and had the scars for a long time.

Old 29-04-2007, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 29/4/07 10:56, in article , "Rupert
(W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:
snip

ps. I actually grow this beast as an ornamental plant --just one:-)

How do you keep the hogweed under control, Rupert? Do you prevent it
seeding or do you weed kill the seedlings?

--
Sacha
(remove weeds from address)

Garden Banter does not have permission to use my posts.
Join uk.rec.gardening instead.

That is http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk which Hubbard is advertising. Well
worth a look and full of lots of interesting information from lots of
sights.

Go and take a peek over the fence.

Mike

--
.................................................. ..............
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 29-04-2007, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...

wrote:

On 29/4/07 10:56, in article , "Rupert
(W.Yorkshire)"
snip

Old 29-04-2007, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

"Paddy" wrote in message
[...]

Whixh one do you grow, Rupert? Presumably giant hogweed?

The OP didn't say he had giant hogweed, merely hogweed (which itself is
quite large, about 4ft), and doesn't have the skin burning properties of
the giant hogweed. It's a very frequent weed, and people who have merely
seen the giant hogweed scare stories in the newspapers can get
needlessly alarmed by it.

--
Kay
Old 30-04-2007, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
news
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

"Paddy" wrote in message
[...]

I am not really sure which type of hogweed it is. Looked it up on various
websites and only got confused.
Yes this only grows to about 4 ft or so but it definitley burns, I get
covered with burns on any unprotected areas and they last for weeks.
It's height might be stunted with it being on the clifftop where the soil
will be rather shallow.

Paddy

Old 01-05-2007, 08:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes

It's against the law not to destroy Giant Hogweed, if you find it on your
property.
How can anybody retail it legally?

It is not exactly against the law not to destroy GH - Under section 14
of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, it can be an offence to plant
or grow specified plants in the wild, including Giant Hogweed and
Japanese Knotweed. Problems involving these plants can be referred to
the local authority for the area where these weeds are growing as some
local authorities have by-laws controlling these plants. There is no
statutory requirement for landowners to remove these plants from their
property.

This information from NERC may be of interest http://tinyurl.com/29qhf7
--
Robert
Old 01-05-2007, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 30, 7:07 pm, "Paddy" wrote:
"K" wrote in message

news

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

"Paddy" wrote in message
[...]

I stayed beside the river Deveron when I was young, I remember my
sister being burned. the giant Hogweed spreadalong the river, the
solution was cows, it didn't effect them I think they ate it.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"misterroy" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 30, 7:07 pm, "Paddy" wrote:
"K" wrote in message

news

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

"Paddy" wrote in message
[...]

No problem getting cows on the stretch of land. Trouble is that they are the
culprits who brought it onto the land along with the dockens. The farmer has
now got his field clear of all the weeds so I suppose he wouldn't be pleased
if his cows broke through again and took the weeds back with them. I never
thought that cows**t could spread weeds so quick.

Herbicides/weed killers - active ingredients? Effectiveness? Gas Bag Gardening 30 15-02-2008 06:44 PM
weed/grass killers RB Lawns 2 19-04-2006 12:03 AM
The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer. Malcolm United Kingdom 517 02-06-2003 04:20 PM
The dangers of weed killers - Glyphosate Keith Dancey United Kingdom 2 22-05-2003 12:56 PM
The dangers of weed killers - Glyphosate aka Roundup, the hidden killer. Malcolm United Kingdom 0 15-05-2003 10:45 AM