Old 06-05-2007, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Woodlice and Virginia Creeper wilting

A couple of months ago I planted a Virginia creeper. It has since broken bud
and was growing well until a few days ago and the leaves are looking a bit
limp. On planting a few marigolds seedlings next to it yesterday I
discovered the area was riddled with lots of woodlice - there must have been
at least 50 scuttling for cover as I dug the soil next to the Virginia
creeper. Are they eating it's roots? Is this a likely cause for it's sudden
wilting? Any suggestions how to remedy the problem?

--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 06-05-2007, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"David \(Normandy\)" writes:
| A couple of months ago I planted a Virginia creeper. It has since broken bud
| and was growing well until a few days ago and the leaves are looking a bit
| limp. On planting a few marigolds seedlings next to it yesterday I
| discovered the area was riddled with lots of woodlice - there must have been
| at least 50 scuttling for cover as I dug the soil next to the Virginia
| creeper. Are they eating it's roots? Is this a likely cause for it's sudden
| wilting? Any suggestions how to remedy the problem?

Pretty unlikely. They can eat only the softest of material, and are
more likely to be eating its roots because they have already died
and started to rot.

Bluntly, you may have my problem, which is something that attacks the
roots of plants under high stress. God alone knows what it is, but
the syndrome is fairly clear. If that is the answer, then you can
do nothing but curse and try again. It is certainly worth giving it
some water and seeing if that helps.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"David \(Normandy\)" writes:
| A couple of months ago I planted a Virginia creeper. It has since
broken bud
| and was growing well until a few days ago and the leaves are looking a
bit
| limp. On planting a few marigolds seedlings next to it yesterday I
| discovered the area was riddled with lots of woodlice - there must have
been
| at least 50 scuttling for cover as I dug the soil next to the Virginia
| creeper. Are they eating it's roots? Is this a likely cause for it's
sudden
| wilting? Any suggestions how to remedy the problem?

Pretty unlikely. They can eat only the softest of material, and are
more likely to be eating its roots because they have already died
and started to rot.

Bluntly, you may have my problem, which is something that attacks the
roots of plants under high stress. God alone knows what it is, but
the syndrome is fairly clear. If that is the answer, then you can
do nothing but curse and try again. It is certainly worth giving it
some water and seeing if that helps.

Nick is right; woodlice are harmless.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Nick and Des. I'll ignore the woodlice and try extra watering, but
I'm doubtfull that too much or too little water is the problem.