Old 17-05-2007, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hanging baskets brackets for lamposts

Hullo all.

Just about to embark upon a project in our little street, making
hanging baskets but I can't find the brackets for the lamposts so that
I can hang the baskets. I would have beleived that it's easy to find.
Never thought it would be so hard. I have a *very* limited budget -
doing 7 baskets, need plants, soil, liners etc. Looking for best
prices but can't get hold of these brackets! Ideally I'm looking for
those ring types, like a collar but not drilling into the post. I
don't think I'm allowed to do that....

Any ideas on how I could hang these baskets are very welcomed. Coat
hangers, wires ... etc. please help!

Old 17-05-2007, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hullo all.

Just about to embark upon a project in our little street, making
hanging baskets but I can't find the brackets for the lamposts so that
I can hang the baskets. I would have beleived that it's easy to find.
Never thought it would be so hard. I have a *very* limited budget -
doing 7 baskets, need plants, soil, liners etc. Looking for best
prices but can't get hold of these brackets! Ideally I'm looking for
those ring types, like a collar but not drilling into the post. I
don't think I'm allowed to do that....

Any ideas on how I could hang these baskets are very welcomed. Coat
hangers, wires ... etc. please help!

Do the posts taper inwards slightly on the way up? I haven't ever seen it
done so I don't know if it would work but perhaps you could try a
conventional wall bracket and secure that with long (and sturdy) cable ties
though you might have to link a couple together to achieve the desired
circumference. Experiment due?

Old 17-05-2007, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Any ideas on how I could hang these baskets are very welcomed. Coat
hangers, wires ... etc. please help!

ISTR that in Bury St Edmunds last summer they removed all hanging baskets
from streetlamps on safety grounds. A health and safety report had stated
that the extra weight on lamp posts not designed to take it could bring the
posts down.

Mike
www.farend.org.uk

Old 17-05-2007, 10:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17 May, 18:18, "Howard Haigh" hh001c7439@$NOSPAMPLEASE
$blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Do the posts taper inwards slightly on the way up? I haven't ever seen it
done so I don't know if it would work but perhaps you could try a
conventional wall bracket and secure that with long (and sturdy) cable ties
though you might have to link a couple together to achieve the desired
circumference. Experiment due?

It's a good idea - I could put two wall brackets one on each side and
fix them together with cable ties. I'll experiment - I have until the
28th. Thanks a lot Howard. Any more ideas please chaps and
chappettes!!

Old 18-05-2007, 01:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17 May, 19:00, "Muddymike" wrote:
Any ideas on how I could hang these baskets are very welcomed. Coat
hangers, wires ... etc. please help!

ISTR that in Bury St Edmunds last summer they removed all hanging baskets
from streetlamps on safety grounds. A health and safety report had stated
that the extra weight on lamp posts not designed to take it could bring the
posts down.

Mikewww.farend.org.uk

I would be seriously worried about the competence of the grower of any
lamp post whose roots were insufficient to take such a minor
additional weight. However, there seems to be a greater risk of the
basket falling onto someone's head/car, and the OP must certainly get
permission from the Council to do this project (and/or insurance if
it's a private road). OTOH, the Council can probably tell him where to
get the hangers and may even have a budget to contribute to the
project.

Chris

Old 18-05-2007, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 May, 01:59, wrote:
I would be seriously worried about the competence of the grower of any
lamp post whose roots were insufficient to take such a minor
additional weight. However, there seems to be a greater risk of the
basket falling onto someone's head/car, and the OP must certainly get
permission from the Council to do this project (and/or insurance if
it's a private road). OTOH, the Council can probably tell him where to
get the hangers and may even have a budget to contribute to the
project.

My project is funded by the council as part of the Neighbourhood's
Day. There's 3 pots available, as well as City In Bloom (which we've
entered to) and 100 Days Challenge. Sadly they don't have any 'items'
to donate nor is this available to us. Only money. I've worked in the
area for many years, doing veg garden for a local school, created a
wild area with pond in another and I'm pretty active all around. They
trust me - I'm not going to use cello tape nor rafia to hang the
baskets ;o)

Old 18-05-2007, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

$blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Do the posts taper inwards slightly on the way up? I haven't ever seen it
done so I don't know if it would work but perhaps you could try a
conventional wall bracket and secure that with long (and sturdy) cable ties
though you might have to link a couple together to achieve the desired
circumference. Experiment due?

It's a good idea - I could put two wall brackets one on each side and
fix them together with cable ties. I'll experiment - I have until the
28th. Thanks a lot Howard. Any more ideas please chaps and
chappettes!!

Angle brackets secured with large Jubilee clips (the clips with a
helical screw-drive tightening mechanism). Get both at your local DIY
shed, the latter in the area where they sell flexible ducting for
connecting to tumble driers etc. Come in packs of two IIRC.

--
Chris

Old 18-05-2007, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hullo all.

Just about to embark upon a project in our little street, making
hanging baskets but I can't find the brackets for the lamposts so that
I can hang the baskets.

Perhaps you can use worm drive steel banding straps to fix regular wall
brackets? Worm drive bands are like big hose clamps and are commonly used to
fix things to lamp posts.
http://www.intricoproducts.com/catal...and-strap.html
http://www.parishose.com/products/cl...ranglehold.htm

or perhaps large nylon cable ties. They look like this...
http://www.eurolok.co.uk/TiesAndAccessories.php

See also..
http://www.discountdisplays.co.uk/ht...nyl-quick.html
http://www.portfolio-display.co.uk/html/post_bars_.htm
http://www.eye2eye.co.uk/banners/banner_poles.htm

Old 21-05-2007, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18 May, 18:30, Chris Hogg wrote:
Angle brackets secured with large Jubilee clips (the clips with a
helical screw-drive tightening mechanism). Get both at your local DIY
shed, the latter in the area where they sell flexible ducting for
connecting to tumble driers etc. Come in packs of two IIRC.

YES! Thank you Chris. I've found at the plumbery section metal clips
with one tie to tighten the clip. Two per packs. I'll secure the wall
brakets on the post with it and will also thread a wire through the
holes of the brackets for double tightness ;o) It will be cyclone
proof!

Thank you to everybody for your ideas. I'll send pictures of the
baskets once they're in full bloom )