Old 22-06-2007, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomatoes

We got 2.5lbs of tomatoes yesterday from the greenhouse plants! The outdoor
ones are just starting to ripen.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 22-06-2007, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
: We got 2.5lbs of tomatoes yesterday from the greenhouse plants! The
outdoor
: ones are just starting to ripen.
:
Marvellous, mine are getting there. I always get blight on outdoor ones, how
do you keep yours safe?

Old 22-06-2007, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
We got 2.5lbs of tomatoes yesterday from the greenhouse plants! The
outdoor
ones are just starting to ripen.

--
Sacha

Lucky you, it will at least 6 weeks before I see any from mine...

However, I do grow in what could be described as a challenging spot! Living
in a flat I managed to grab an area at the top of a bank sided by the fence
to the drying area to the east, a wall to the south and an oak tree to the
west. I estimate it gets probably 3-4 hours direct sun at most.

My tomatoes over the last 5 years have tended to be about 4 weeks behind my
sisters in her garden. But the shelter means less worry about frost, so it
was October before I brought the last in and placed in a shoe box to
ripen...

Could also be why I struggle with carrots, but I'm attempting Beetroot this
year....

Steve

Old 22-06-2007, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sam Sam is offline

Sacha wrote:
We got 2.5lbs of tomatoes yesterday from the greenhouse plants! The outdoor
ones are just starting to ripen.

Congratulations and bon appetit !
Is it a heated green house ? and what variety of tomato?
I've got 3 Shirley and 3 Brandywine in my unheated house
which are showing flower (some may have set) but it will
still take a few weeks before picking.
Organic border,fish,blood,& bone for starters,
seaweed extract feed thereafter..
Sam
Old 23-06-2007, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 19:53:01 +0100, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

On 22/6/07 19:42, in article
, "Sam"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
We got 2.5lbs of tomatoes yesterday from the greenhouse plants! The
outdoor
ones are just starting to ripen.

Congratulations and bon appetit !
Is it a heated green house ? and what variety of tomato?
I've got 3 Shirley and 3 Brandywine in my unheated house
which are showing flower (some may have set) but it will
still take a few weeks before picking.
Organic border,fish,blood,& bone for starters,
seaweed extract feed thereafter..
Sam

Yes, to the unheated bit but this being a nursery, it's big, so it gets lots
of light and whatever sun there is. And the plants are fed regularly
because there is feed in the watering system for all plants, via the
diluter. We're growing Jersey Sunrise, a heritage variety with a wonderful
flavour and the original Jersey tom.

Sacha, where did you get the Jersey Sunrise seeds? I have found them on the
HDRA adopt-a-veg scheme. Is that the only place to get them, do you know? I
usually grow Gardeners' Delight, but flavour is everything to us with
tomatoes, and I am always looking out for a new variety!

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Old 23-06-2007, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha, where did you get the Jersey Sunrise seeds? I have found them on
the
HDRA adopt-a-veg scheme. Is that the only place to get them, do you
know? I
usually grow Gardeners' Delight, but flavour is everything to us with
tomatoes, and I am always looking out for a new variety!

Someone sent them to me from here a long time ago and I'm afraid I don't
remember who it was. I save some from ours every year and in fact, last
year, I sent quite a few back to the HDRA. AFAIK, that's the only place
get them. I think the flavour is terrific.

I would be interested in growing a more unusual variety, I take it that the
adopt a veg is the way to go ?

kate

Old 23-06-2007, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/6/07 15:28, in article
, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

Sacha, where did you get the Jersey Sunrise seeds? I have found them on
the
HDRA adopt-a-veg scheme. Is that the only place to get them, do you
know? I
usually grow Gardeners' Delight, but flavour is everything to us with
tomatoes, and I am always looking out for a new variety!

Someone sent them to me from here a long time ago and I'm afraid I don't
remember who it was. I save some from ours every year and in fact, last
year, I sent quite a few back to the HDRA. AFAIK, that's the only place
get them. I think the flavour is terrific.

I would be interested in growing a more unusual variety, I take it that the
adopt a veg is the way to go ?

kate

I can't help you there, Kate as I haven't done it. I'm sure someone will
know. However, I'd be happy to send you a few Jersey Sunrise (Sally, too!)
but it won't be until the end of this season, of course.

Old 23-06-2007, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/6/07 18:13, in article
, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

Thank you very much Sacha, I would appreciate that :-)

kate

I can't help you there, Kate as I haven't done it. I'm sure someone will
know. However, I'd be happy to send you a few Jersey Sunrise (Sally,
too!)
but it won't be until the end of this season, of course.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
(remove weeds from address)

If you send me an email with your address, I'll put it in my 'Gardeners'
file!

Old 23-06-2007, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 17:47:09 +0100, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

[re Jersey Sunrise seeds]
snippety snip

I can't help you there, Kate as I haven't done it. I'm sure someone will
know. However, I'd be happy to send you a few Jersey Sunrise (Sally, too!)
but it won't be until the end of this season, of course.

Ooh yes, please Sacha. I would love a few. Somewhere in the archives
someone once wrote about saving their own tomato seeds. How do you do it,
for the future? (Otherwise I'll do a search.)

I will email you my address.

Old 23-06-2007, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 22:15:15 +0100, Sally Thompson wrote
(in article et):

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 17:47:09 +0100, Sacha wrote
(in article ) :

[re Jersey Sunrise seeds]
snippety snip

I can't help you there, Kate as I haven't done it. I'm sure someone will
know. However, I'd be happy to send you a few Jersey Sunrise (Sally, too!)
but it won't be until the end of this season, of course.

Ooh yes, please Sacha. I would love a few. Somewhere in the archives
someone once wrote about saving their own tomato seeds. How do you do it,
for the future? (Otherwise I'll do a search.)

Did a search and found it :-)

Old 24-06-2007, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ooh yes, please Sacha. I would love a few. Somewhere in the archives
someone once wrote about saving their own tomato seeds. How do you do
it,
for the future? (Otherwise I'll do a search.)

It's very high tech, Sally. ;-) Towards the end of the fruiting period I
open up a few toms and I scoop the seed onto some kitchen towel. Once
they've dried out, I try to scrape them off the kitchen towel and into
e.g.
wage envelopes! If they won't scrape off, the lucky recipient gets the
paper towel, too and it dissolves in the damp compost!

Gosh that is high techy stuff :-) It would be interesting to see how it is
done on a commercial scale, they must go thro a great deal of kitchen roll
:-)
Any fortunate person got sunshine this morning ?

kate