Old 21-06-2007, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New Wisley glass house

I visited Wisley on Saturday and was lucky to go in the newly opened
glasshouse. It will take a few years to develop, along with the
surrounding gardens, but it is a pretty magnificent building.
I think, given the choice though, I would choose a day at Eden rather
than Wisley's more conventional plantings.
It's sad though that the old glasshouses are to be demolished.

Pam in Bristol
Old 22-06-2007, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote...
I visited Wisley on Saturday and was lucky to go in the newly opened
glasshouse. It will take a few years to develop, along with the
surrounding gardens, but it is a pretty magnificent building.
I think, given the choice though, I would choose a day at Eden rather
than Wisley's more conventional plantings.
It's sad though that the old glasshouses are to be demolished.

We went round it while it was being built but not since, it usually takes a
while for such greenhouses to get established etc and feel lived in. Eden is
OK but I'm not that much of a fan, seems designed for non
gardeners/plantspeople, and too commercial IMO, prefer Heligan.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-06-2007, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/6/07 22:42, in article ,
"Pam Moore" wrote:

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:45:13 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

On 22/6/07 13:32, in article
, "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote...
I visited Wisley on Saturday and was lucky to go in the newly opened
glasshouse. It will take a few years to develop, along with the
surrounding gardens, but it is a pretty magnificent building.
I think, given the choice though, I would choose a day at Eden rather
than Wisley's more conventional plantings.
It's sad though that the old glasshouses are to be demolished.

We went round it while it was being built but not since, it usually takes a
while for such greenhouses to get established etc and feel lived in. Eden is
OK but I'm not that much of a fan, seems designed for non
gardeners/plantspeople, and too commercial IMO, prefer Heligan.

It's amazing how much comment of that sort we've heard about Eden. I like
Heligan a lot - but I prefer Tresco. ;-))

You aare lucky Sacha to live within reasonably easy reach of so many
lovely gardens.

Pam in Bristol

Indeed we are and we do know that. But did you know that you can fly from
Exeter to St Mary's and take a boat to Tresco which is probably a 20 min.
journey? ;-) Right now the Island Hotel is doing a special June deal,
paying the air fare! And no, I don't work for them (and we didn't go that
way) but I wish I did! You can fly from Bristol, too but I'm not sure about
that being part of this special deal.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-06-2007, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 23:08:31 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

But did you know that you can fly from
Exeter to St Mary's and take a boat to Tresco which is probably a 20 min.
journey? ;-) Right now the Island Hotel is doing a special June deal,
paying the air fare! And no, I don't work for them (and we didn't go that
way) but I wish I did! You can fly from Bristol, too but I'm not sure about
that being part of this special deal.

Yes, I could fly from Bristol. I've been there twice, once by boat
from St Mary's and once by helicopter from Penzance. Tresco certainly
is a magical place, when the sun shines!

Pam in Bristol
Old 24-06-2007, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

But did you know that you can fly from
Exeter to St Mary's and take a boat to Tresco which is probably a 20 min.
journey? ;-) Right now the Island Hotel is doing a special June deal,
paying the air fare! And no, I don't work for them (and we didn't go that
way) but I wish I did! You can fly from Bristol, too but I'm not sure about
that being part of this special deal.

Yes, I could fly from Bristol. I've been there twice, once by boat
from St Mary's and once by helicopter from Penzance. Tresco certainly
is a magical place, when the sun shines!

Pam in Bristol

For me it is, rather like Dartmoor, magical, whether it is in sun or pelting
rain, fog, snow, mist etc. Sunshine is wonderful of course but it is
almost irrelevant to the quality of the place itself. Whatever the weather
I just feel very happy for being on either. It's the same here at home -
I'd *like* a bit of sun right now but given that the greens are so green and
the flowers are so voluptuously burgeoning and everything is in a sort of
horticultural overdrive, we can only wonder and enjoy! The sun will return
one day and in the meantime we know the rain is doing good.