GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Petrol Lawn Mower problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/160224-petrol-lawn-mower-problem.html)

Peter C 17-06-2007 12:52 AM

Petrol Lawn Mower problem

Mountfield petrol rotary mower with a Briggs Stratton engine.No
problem starting. When accelarating to cut the lawn it is mis firing
and black smoke emits from the exhaust.
New plug fitted. cleaned air filter.
Where do I go next please.to solve the problem?
Peter.

Jupiter 17-06-2007 08:06 AM

Petrol Lawn Mower problem

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 16:52:43 -0700, Peter C
wrote:

Mountfield petrol rotary mower with a Briggs Stratton engine.No
problem starting. When accelarating to cut the lawn it is mis firing
and black smoke emits from the exhaust.
New plug fitted. cleaned air filter.
Where do I go next please.to solve the problem?
Peter.

Black smoke indicates that the fuel/air mixture is too rich.
Carburation varies greatly across the Briggs & Stratton engine range
so it's difficult to generalise about what to do. You need to check
the service info for your particular engine to find out how to clean
jets/adjust mixture. If you get BLUE smoke, that's burning oil caused
by engine wear.

Brian Watson 17-06-2007 09:14 AM

Petrol Lawn Mower problem

"Peter C" wrote in message
ps.com...
Mountfield petrol rotary mower with a Briggs Stratton engine.No
problem starting. When accelarating to cut the lawn it is mis firing
and black smoke emits from the exhaust.
New plug fitted. cleaned air filter.
Where do I go next please.to solve the problem?

Is it a two-stroke engine?

If so, the petrol needs to be mixed with the appropriate oil.

--
Brian

Dave Liquorice 17-06-2007 09:59 AM

Petrol Lawn Mower problem

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 08:06:56 +0100, Jupiter wrote:

You need to check the service info for your particular engine to find
out how to clean jets/adjust mixture.

Which can be down loaded from the B&S website.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Peter C 18-06-2007 12:05 AM

Petrol Lawn Mower problem

On 17 Jun, 09:59, "Dave Liquorice" wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 08:06:56 +0100, Jupiter wrote:
You need to check the service info for your particular engine to find
out how to clean jets/adjust mixture.

Which can be down loaded from the B&S website.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Thanks to all. Jets/mixture was the problem
Peter