Old 06-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Registered User

Default ID please

Photos of some tubers with shoots. Dug these up in my new garden a couple of days ago and don't know what they are. Some shoots are a bit green at the top. The biggest tubers are about an inch wide. Lots of baby ones too.
Attached Thumbnails
ID please-dscf1225.jpg   ID please-dscf1226.jpg
Old 06-11-2015, 05:16 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintama View Post
Photos of some tubers with shoots. Dug these up in my new garden a couple of days ago and don't know what they are. Some shoots are a bit green at the top. The biggest tubers are about an inch wide. Lots of baby ones too.
Recommended that you leave a 'new garden' for a year to see what the devil you have inherited ;-)

However my 'gardener' suggests that you pot plant them and .............. wait and see ;-)
Old 06-11-2015, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Lintama wrote:

Photos of some tubers with shoots. Dug these up in my new garden a
couple of days ago and don't know what they are. Some shoots are a bit
green at the top. The biggest tubers are about an inch wide. Lots of
baby ones too.

I would guess Portland sago.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg wrote:
Photos of some tubers with shoots. Dug these up in my new garden a
couple of days ago and don't know what they are. Some shoots are a bit
green at the top. The biggest tubers are about an inch wide. Lots of
baby ones too.

I would guess Portland sago.

aka Lords-and-Ladies, Cuckoo-Pint, etc. Berries are poisonous.

It's not that the berries are poisonous, but that all parts of the
plant are severely irritant, and the roots need treatment to turn
them into the arrowroot (or Portland sago) of the kitchen. The
berries are the part that are most attractive to the foolish.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/11/2015 09:03, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 6 Nov 2015 22:53:38 -0000 (UTC), (Nick
Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Lintama wrote:

Photos of some tubers with shoots. Dug these up in my new garden a
couple of days ago and don't know what they are. Some shoots are a bit
green at the top. The biggest tubers are about an inch wide. Lots of
baby ones too.

I would guess Portland sago.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

aka Lords-and-Ladies, Cuckoo-Pint, etc. Berries are poisonous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arum_maculatum

If it's producing shoots now wouldn't Arum italicum be more likely than
Arum maculatum?

--
SRH

Old 07-11-2015, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

If it's producing shoots now wouldn't Arum italicum be more likely than
Arum maculatum?

Quite possibly. Though, in my experience, they behave almost
identically - indeed, some people consider it a subspecies, anyway.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-11-2015, 02:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

If it's producing shoots now wouldn't Arum italicum be more likely than
Arum maculatum?

Quite possibly. Though, in my experience, they behave almost
identically - indeed, some people consider it a subspecies, anyway.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Subspecies.. now that can be difficult to define. I think that the voles
that my German friend has that are a major agricultural pest there and look
identical to our endangered water voles (and even have the same name) are
not the same thing we have. I think the German voles are a sub species.
They are the bane of her life. They eat roots off every tree she plants.
They eat most of all the veggies she plants. I think she needs to bomb her
land to get rid of them as nothing else works..she sets traps and gets a
few, her cat gets some but the voles in Lower Saxony will just eat
everything you plant. There no work there so you need what you plant to
keep yourself alive. Most people keep hens and grow pumpkins.

Old 20-11-2015, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/11/2015 02:05, Christina Websell wrote:
Subspecies.. now that can be difficult to define. I think that the voles
that my German friend has that are a major agricultural pest there and look
identical to our endangered water voles (and even have the same name) are
not the same thing we have. I think the German voles are a sub species.
They are the bane of her life. They eat roots off every tree she plants.
They eat most of all the veggies she plants. I think she needs to bomb her
land to get rid of them as nothing else works..she sets traps and gets a
few, her cat gets some but the voles in Lower Saxony will just eat
everything you plant. There no work there so you need what you plant to
keep yourself alive. Most people keep hens and grow pumpkins.

There are lots of vole species. I doubt very much if there are enough
water voles to be a problem - for a start, they prefer to feed on
waterside vegetation.

Other species though - Lemmings are almost a sort of vole...

Andy
Old 22-11-2015, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/11/2015 10:51, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 21:55:17 +0000, Vir Campestris
wrote:

There are lots of vole species. I doubt very much if there are enough
water voles to be a problem - for a start, they prefer to feed on
waterside vegetation.

Other species though - Lemmings are almost a sort of vole...

They are voles. They are a big enough problem in the north east of the
Netherlands and the adjacent part of Germany for the destruction they cause to
be visible from satellites.

They being lemmings, or they being the voles causing the problem?

I checked. Lemmings are closely related, but not a vole (I was surprised
- I thought they were).

I can easily believe some vole or other is causing the problem. I'd be
very surprised if it was water voles.

Andy
Old 24-11-2015, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/11/2015 09:13, Martin wrote:

The Dutch press calls them mice.
http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archive...ected-by-mice/

http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/2...n_kapot__.html

Finally the slow wheels of my mind have come around. Back in January I
wrote this:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/W%C3%BChlm%C3%A4use

My wife's Collins dictionary leaves off the trailing 'e'.

There's an image there "Rötelmaus (Myodes glareolus)". That's the

same species name as the thing known in English as the Bank Vole.

The field or short-tailed vole is Microtus agrestis; that seems to be

the Erdmaus https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erdmaus. ("Earth Mouse")

Note that Wühlmäuse has an umlaut on the a, and a trailing e, that is

missing from Erdmaus. Glad to see it isn't just English that has crazee
spielings . I'm also not clear what Rötel means. It's the name of the
iron mineral haematite, and in the plural is German measles... perhaps
russet or such.

If in German it's referred to as a mouse (maus) then I wouldn't be
surprised to find you use similar terminology. Is there such a word as
vole in Dutch?

Andy

Old 25-11-2015, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Am 24.11.2015 um 21:53 schrieb Vir Campestris:
......... I'm also not clear what Rötel means. It's the name of the
iron mineral haematite, and in the plural is German measles... perhaps
russet or such.

The name "Rötelmaus" is due to the reddish shine of the grey fur.
reddish = rötlich. BTW: rubella in German is "Röteln" and there is
another word with "Rötel": Rötelstift meaning red chalk.
Cheers Gotthelf

--
http://www.wolmershaeuser.de
Old 26-11-2015, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/11/2015 11:55, Martin wrote:
They must have some way of differentiating.

Acccording to Google Translate Water Vole is waterrat.

http://en.bab.la/dictionary/english-dutch/vole
vole = woelrat

Dutch veldmuis is translated as vole, but that is probably because a field mouse
is a synonym for vole in the USA.

Kamers Dictionary has Veldmuis translated as Field Mouse, Vole

Our local Dutch newspaper described the pest as field mice.

Van Dale "Pocket" English - Dutch dictionary doesn't contain the word vole.

I looked at this when the problem first started getting reported. What's strange
is the problem is being ignored by politicians to the point that nobody has
tried to extract money from the EU. Attempts by farmers to get Dutch governmant
aid/compensation failed. When all the dykes leak like sieves something will be
done about the problem. Something similar happened in the 19th century

English Wikipedia on Water Vole
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_water_vole
links me to the Dutch
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woelrat

A little rummaging suggests to me that voles may be woelmuizen, a mouse
a muis, and a rat is a ... rat. But common names aren't good guides. The
field vole here is often known as the short-tailed field mouse.

Andy
--
I speak no Dutch.