Old 26-06-2007, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Quaking Grass - Briza media

I've got a lot of Briza media (Quaking grass) seed heads and need some
advice on sowing, I've separated them so I'm left with seeds with
their 'husks' attached.
Do I sow them as they are or should I remove the 'husks' ?
Do I just sprinkle them on the growing medium?
What is best to do store them 'till next year (refrigerated or not?)
or sow now under glass?
Many thanks.
Ford
Old 26-06-2007, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26 Jun, 17:04, Ford Prefect wrote:
I've got a lot of Briza media (Quaking grass) seed heads and need some
advice on sowing, I've separated them so I'm left with seeds with
their 'husks' attached.
Do I sow them as they are or should I remove the 'husks' ?
Do I just sprinkle them on the growing medium?
What is best to do store them 'till next year (refrigerated or not?)
or sow now under glass?

Mine have self seeded and this must have been done in the autumn or
spring, when the seeds fall to the ground. I don't collect them
because I like seeing them in winter. It gives interest. So I wouldn't
remove the husk but keep the seed heads as they are. I store all my
seeds in envelopes and then they are placed in shoe boxes. When I then
use them to sow, I find that the husks of any seeds I collect
eventually dries and separate naturally, or fall out their husks. The
best way to sow them would be in situ (direct sow where you want them
to grow) - brizas being meadow grass it would be this early autumn or
then next spring - as you would for grass, when soil is still warm, or
warming up. Water is usually the problem - like with all grasses when
sowing .You must make sure they have enough and not too much. HTH

I don't refrigerate my seeds - I've tried and some got mouldy and I've
never found the need to do it.

Old 27-06-2007, 12:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ford Prefect" wrote in message
I've got a lot of Briza media (Quaking grass) seed heads and need some
advice on sowing, I've separated them so I'm left with seeds with
their 'husks' attached.
Do I sow them as they are or should I remove the 'husks' ?
Do I just sprinkle them on the growing medium?
What is best to do store them 'till next year (refrigerated or not?)
or sow now under glass?
Many thanks.
Ford

Just chuck a handful anywhere near where you want it. It'll grow, believe
me. I'm still trying to get rid of it 5 years later.

Steve

Old 26-11-2015, 09:02 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
I've got a lot of Briza media (Quaking grass) seed heads and need some
advice on sowing, I've separated them so I'm left with seeds with
their 'husks' attached.
Do I sow them as they are or should I remove the 'husks' ?
Do I just sprinkle them on the growing medium?
What is best to do store them 'till next year (refrigerated or not?)
or sow now under glass?
Many thanks.
Ford
I think I read somewhere that you need to cut Quaking grass in the winter to around 6 inches off the ground for it to survive until spring. Is this true?

OK - I've educated myself - the trees are quaking aspen Cheryl Isaak Gardening 0 07-11-2011 08:43 PM
Media for semi hydroponic (corrected email) Yc Orchids 0 06-01-2004 08:02 AM
Media Bags Doug Ponds 9 11-03-2003 05:44 PM
[IBC] Bonsai in the media sam crowell Bonsai 2 16-02-2003 02:27 AM
Bonsai in the Media Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 14-02-2003 02:03 PM