Old 06-08-2007, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rust stains on flag stones

Hi, I've got some horrendous rust stains on flagstones, from old cast iron
pation furniture.

What's the best way of cleaning these? Can it be done? I've tried all
sorts of the usual things and nothing really seems to work ...

Thanks.

Barb

Old 06-08-2007, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 14:44:20 +0100, "Barb"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

Hi, I've got some horrendous rust stains on flagstones, from old cast iron
pation furniture.

What's the best way of cleaning these? Can it be done? I've tried all
sorts of the usual things and nothing really seems to work ...

Well, there's this bloke, but he could prove a bit expensive.

http://www.geocities.com/modernjopa/tarmim/newpage3.htm

Try Steel brush and lots of elbow grease

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³

Old 06-08-2007, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Hi, I've got some horrendous rust stains on flagstones, from old cast iron
pation furniture.

The rust stains will have penetrated the flags down to quite a depth.
You will need to clean to the same depth. Try neat chlorine bleach and
leave it for a few days.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Barb" wrote in message
Hi, I've got some horrendous rust stains on flagstones, from old cast iron
pation furniture.

What's the best way of cleaning these? Can it be done? I've tried all
sorts of the usual things and nothing really seems to work ...

Thanks.

Barb

Phosphoric acid used to be marketed under the trade name of "FOS" we used it
lots on board ship to remove rust stains on white paint work and to treat
prepared bare steel prior to painting, Places like Halfords will no doubt
sell something similar for patching car paint work.
Its only really dangerous if working aloft with it and then only if the
ropes are natural fibres (i.e. we did not have to use full protective gear
to apply it)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 06-08-2007, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Barb
writes
Hi, I've got some horrendous rust stains on flagstones, from old cast iron
pation furniture.

What's the best way of cleaning these? Can it be done? I've tried all
sorts of the usual things and nothing really seems to work ...

Thanks.

Barb

What are the flagstones made of? Anything that will dissolve rust is
liable to make a mess of limestone; some other rocks are more resistant.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 06-08-2007, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/8/07 14:44, in article , "Barb"
wrote:

Hi, I've got some horrendous rust stains on flagstones, from old cast iron
pation furniture.

What's the best way of cleaning these? Can it be done? I've tried all
sorts of the usual things and nothing really seems to work ...

Thanks.

I've forwarded this to Cormaic to see if he has any ideas and/or time to
tell us!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-08-2007, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Barb" wrote in message
Hi, I've got some horrendous rust stains on flagstones, from old cast iron
pation furniture.

What's the best way of cleaning these? Can it be done? I've tried all
sorts of the usual things and nothing really seems to work ...

Thanks.

Barb

Dissolve a Steredent Denture tablet in a very little hot water. When totally
disolved and the foaming finished, try a small amount on a rust patch. Pour
it on and leave it for 12 hours. If one of the rust patches is out of view,
try it there :-)

I think you will find it works :-))

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 06-08-2007, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Barb" wrote in message
Hi, I've got some horrendous rust stains on flagstones, from old cast

iron
pation furniture.

What's the best way of cleaning these? Can it be done? I've tried all
sorts of the usual things and nothing really seems to work ...

Thanks.

Barb

Dissolve a Steredent Denture tablet in a very little hot water. When

totally
disolved and the foaming finished, try a small amount on a rust patch.

Pour
it on and leave it for 12 hours. If one of the rust patches is out of

view,
try it there :-)

I think you will find it works :-))

Mike

And probably a lot easier to get hold of than my suggestion!!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall

Bathroom Cabinet in my case ;-)

Old 06-08-2007, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Barb" wrote in message
[...]

SOS with Sand stone flag stones Tamujiin Gardening 3 26-08-2007 09:43 PM
Rust stains on flagstones - reprise Sacha United Kingdom 0 14-08-2007 11:43 AM
Help - Rust stains from watering garden with hard (well) water M Osborne Gardening 7 14-07-2005 01:41 AM
Driveway oil stains Bobby Gardening 12 22-04-2003 01:56 PM
Driveway oil stains Bobby United Kingdom 10 22-04-2003 07:32 AM