Old 12-08-2007, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomato Blight

Just as our outdoor tomatoes are beginning to ripen one plant (Dombito
IIRC) has a dark brown section of stem. I panicked , assuming blight, took
off the fruit for ripening indoors and pulled up the plant. The other
plants - Gardeners Delight - seem clean apart from yellowing of lower
leaves. Do the experts consider that I Have been hasty or wise or is it too
late ?

Thanks

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Representative for Richmond upon Thames
Old 12-08-2007, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Paul Luton wrote:
:: Just as our outdoor tomatoes are beginning to ripen one plant
:: (Dombito IIRC) has a dark brown section of stem. I panicked ,
:: assuming blight, took off the fruit for ripening indoors and pulled
:: up the plant. The other plants - Gardeners Delight - seem clean
:: apart from yellowing of lower leaves. Do the experts consider that I
:: Have been hasty or wise or is it too late ?
::
:: Thanks
::
:: Paul
::
:: --
:: CTC Right to Ride Representative for Richmond upon Thames

I'm no expert but as there is so much blight around here, we are leaving the
plants in until they collapse as, in our case, the disease will spread
regardless

Old 12-08-2007, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12 Aug, 21:24, "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
remove my other hobby to reply
wrote:
Paul Luton wrote:

:: Just as our outdoor tomatoes are beginning to ripen one plant
:: (Dombito IIRC) has a dark brown section of stem. I panicked ,
:: assuming blight, took off the fruit for ripening indoors and pulled
:: up the plant. The other plants - Gardeners Delight - seem clean
:: apart from yellowing of lower leaves. Do the experts consider that I
:: Have been hasty or wise or is it too late ?
::
:: Thanks
::
:: Paul
::
:: --
:: CTC Right to Ride Representative for Richmond upon Thames

I'm no expert but as there is so much blight around here, we are leaving the
plants in until they collapse as, in our case, the disease will spread
regardless

Virtually all our outdoor plants have blight this year, although there
are a few struggling stems with an occasional tomato. I'm not
surprised given the July weather. What does surprise me is that our
outdoor cucumbers have been far more prolific this summer than I can
remember for at least ten years.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007, crazyhorse wrote:

I'm no expert but as there is so much blight around here, we are leaving the
plants in until they collapse as, in our case, the disease will spread
regardless

Virtually all our outdoor plants have blight this year, although there
are a few struggling stems with an occasional tomato. I'm not
surprised given the July weather. What does surprise me is that our
outdoor cucumbers have been far more prolific this summer than I can
remember for at least ten years.

My plums are poor this year as well as being a fortnight earlier. On the
other hand my apples look better than they've done for years. Maybe I'll
get a decent crop of cider apples this year.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 14-08-2007, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I've just noticed blight on my greenhouse tomatoes. Loads of ruined fruit
but also loads that is ok at the moment but still green. Should I leave it
to ripen on the plants and take my chances or is it a good idea to pick it
all now and ripen on a window sill?
Mel.

ups.com...

Old 14-08-2007, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul Luton" wrote ...
Just as our outdoor tomatoes are beginning to ripen one plant (Dombito
IIRC) has a dark brown section of stem. I panicked , assuming blight, took
off the fruit for ripening indoors and pulled up the plant. The other
plants - Gardeners Delight - seem clean apart from yellowing of lower
leaves. Do the experts consider that I Have been hasty or wise or is it
too
late ?

Pulled up and burnt all our outdoor Toms a couple of weeks ago so no fruit
this year, all our potatoes had it too so they all had to be dug up and
sorted, and will need constant checking to ensure any rotting ones are
removed. Such a shame as they were growing so well.
Same with everyone on our allotment site except one who sprays everything
that moves with all sorts of professional type chemicals.
We have not known Blight it so bad as it is this year.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 15-08-2007, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:55:48 GMT, "Mel"
wrote:

I've just noticed blight on my greenhouse tomatoes. Loads of ruined fruit
but also loads that is ok at the moment but still green. Should I leave it
to ripen on the plants and take my chances or is it a good idea to pick it
all now and ripen on a window sill?
Mel.

If it really is blight, the fruit usually develops the visible signs
of blight even after picking.

Pam in Bristol

Blight report service(was How bad is tomato blight?) Steve Harris United Kingdom 4 04-05-2004 06:04 PM
Organic remedy for tomato blight ? Peter Richards United Kingdom 37 22-10-2003 06:22 AM
Tomato blight rile Edible Gardening 4 18-05-2003 11:20 PM
Tomato Early Blight problems gary Texas 0 08-05-2003 02:44 PM
Tomato blight Janet Margaret Castle Gardening 3 01-05-2003 06:20 AM