Old 19-08-2007, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default While weeding....

I was visited by this beauty this afternoon. I'm afraid the second pic is
fuzzy:
http://i12.tinypic.com/6cf7rlj.jpg[/IMG]
http://i12.tinypic.com/5x933m1.jpg[/IMG]

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-08-2007, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ...
I was visited by this beauty this afternoon. I'm afraid the second pic is
fuzzy:
http://i12.tinypic.com/6cf7rlj.jpg[/IMG]
http://i12.tinypic.com/5x933m1.jpg[/IMG]

Beautiful, looks like a Southern Hawker Dragonfly (Aeshna cyanea). Sue finds
them beautiful too but I know of some of both sexes that would run a mile.
:-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-08-2007, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
after "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote ...
I was visited by this beauty this afternoon. I'm afraid the second pic
is
fuzzy:
http://i12.tinypic.com/6cf7rlj.jpg[/IMG]
http://i12.tinypic.com/5x933m1.jpg[/IMG]

Beautiful, looks like a Southern Hawker Dragonfly (Aeshna cyanea). Sue
finds
them beautiful too but I know of some of both sexes that would run a
mile.
:-)

Thanks for the ID, Bob. I'm woefully ignorant about such things. No,
they
don't worry me a bit, nor do bats or other garden critters. I'm just
cautious round bees and try not to annoy them!
I was doing a bit of weeding and taking some photos for the web site, too
and this glorious thing zoomed onto the Thalictrum. I'm poor at judging
focus on the digital camera so a bit more practice is needed!

A Brown Hawker seems to have taken over our pond and garden this year and
seems to be defending it against other intruders but we did have a Beautiful
Demoiselle flying around the room the other evening. My favourite Damselfly
is the Banded Demoiselle easily identified with it's dark blotch on each
wing, so pretty in flight.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-08-2007, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sacha" wrote
after "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote ...
[...]

Normally I have quite a number of "dragonflies" about my garden, this
year nothing. Not that I've been able to get out much to look, been
raining here all day as yesterday in North Staffordshire.

Old 19-08-2007, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/8/07 15:35, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sacha" wrote
after "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote ...
[...]

We always get a few and also what I call damselflies - hope I'm right,
they're much smaller. But I don't think I've ever seen this particular one
before and certainly never so close. We have three ponds, all with weed
and plants that eggs can be laid on, so perhaps the word is getting around.
;-)

Old 19-08-2007, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Broadback
writes
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sacha" wrote
after "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote ...
[...]

When I went over to Ness Botanic Gardens last weekend there were
blue-tailed damselflies, azure damselflies (I think), southern hawkers,
a possible brown hawker (I didn't get a good view) and a common darter.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 20-08-2007, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

We have three small ponds - two in the back garden and one in the front.

We often see several dragonflies over the back ponds but many damselflies
over the front (both red and blue). I don't know enough to recognise types
but they are beautiful to watch.

My wife was lucky in that one morning she saw a dragonfly coming out of it's
pupa stage (have I got that right?) and watched as it slowly filled out its
wings ready to fly.

We'd both like to know more about them but does anyone know of a good
website, with pictures?

Thanks for the photo!

Regards,

John

..

. uk...

Old 20-08-2007, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/8/07 09:02, in article , "John
Vanini" wrote:

We have three small ponds - two in the back garden and one in the front.

We often see several dragonflies over the back ponds but many damselflies
over the front (both red and blue). I don't know enough to recognise types
but they are beautiful to watch.

My wife was lucky in that one morning she saw a dragonfly coming out of it's
pupa stage (have I got that right?) and watched as it slowly filled out its
wings ready to fly.

We'd both like to know more about them but does anyone know of a good
website, with pictures?

This might help
http://www.dragonflysoc.org.uk/frameset.htm?home&home

Thanks for the photo!