Old 19-08-2007, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mildew spray

Just a day or so ago I read that 50/50 milk and water can be sprayed on
gooseberries to counteract mildew. I'd never heard of that before but Ray
says he has a faint memory of it. Might be worth a try for those who are
plagued by it.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-08-2007, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

Just a day or so ago I read that 50/50 milk and water can be sprayed on
gooseberries to counteract mildew. I'd never heard of that before but Ray
says he has a faint memory of it. Might be worth a try for those who are
plagued by it.

It is also supposed to work as a spray on roses that get mildew (such as
Dorothy Perkins)

Old 19-08-2007, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given writes:
| "Sacha" wrote in message
|
| Just a day or so ago I read that 50/50 milk and water can be sprayed on
| gooseberries to counteract mildew. I'd never heard of that before but Ray
| says he has a faint memory of it. Might be worth a try for those who are
| plagued by it.
|
| It is also supposed to work as a spray on roses that get mildew (such as
| Dorothy Perkins)

Some people have posted here that it works. Given its harmlessness,
there is little to lose by trying.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-08-2007, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 Sacha wrote:

Just a day or so ago I read that 50/50 milk and water can be sprayed on
gooseberries to counteract mildew. I'd never heard of that before but Ray
says he has a faint memory of it. Might be worth a try for those who are
plagued by it.

Would that work on vines, do you think?

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 19-08-2007, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

Just a day or so ago I read that 50/50 milk and water can be sprayed on
gooseberries to counteract mildew. I'd never heard of that before but

Ray
says he has a faint memory of it. Might be worth a try for those who

are
plagued by it.

It is also supposed to work as a spray on roses that get mildew (such as
Dorothy Perkins)

baking soda in a bit of oil also does the same job apparently.
http://www.ghorganics.com/page15.html#Milk for Mildew:
Baking Soda Spray
For anthracnose, early tomato blight, leaf blight and spots, powdery mildew,
and as a general fungicide
Sodium bicarbonate commonly known as baking soda has been found to posses
fungicidal properties. It is recommended for plants that already have
powdery mildew to hose down all the infected leaves prior to treatment. This
helps to dislodge as many of the spores as possibly to help you get better
results. Use as a prevention or as treatment at first signs of any of the
diseases.
To make: Mix 1 tablespoon baking soda, 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil with
one gallon of water. Shake this up very thoroughly. To this mix add 1/2
teaspoon of pure Castile soap and spray. Be sure to agitate your sprayer
while you work to keep the ingredients from separating. Cover upper and
lower leaf surfaces and spray some on the soil. Repeat every 5-7 days as
needed.

Apple Cider Vinegar Fungicide
For leafspot, mildew, and scab
Mix 3 tablespoons of cider vinegar (5% acidity) with one gallon water and
spray in the morning on infested plants. Good for black spot on roses and
aspen trees too.

Milk for Mildew
Milk with its' natural enzymes and simple sugar structures can be used to
combat various mildews on cucumber, asters, tomato, squash and zinnia
foliage. This works by changing the pH on the surface of the leaves, so they
are less susceptible to mildew. Use a 50/50 mixture of milk and water.
Thoroughly spray plants every 3 to 4 days at first sign of mildews or use
weekly as a preventative measure.
Milk can also be mixed at a rate of 2 ounces milk to 18 ounces of water and
used as a spray every 7 to 10 days to treat mosaic disease on cucumber,
tomato and lettuce.

Soil pathogens
Conventionally, soilborne pathogens are controlled by soil fumigation or by
addition of chemical fungicides to the soil. The most commonly used soil
fumigant is methyl bromide, a toxic and dangerous gas that also depletes the
stratospheric ozone layer. Another common soil fungicide is Dazomet (sold
under the brand name Basamid), a granular material that releases a toxic gas
when it comes in contact with the water in the soil. Among the alternatives
to these poisons are plants such as garlic that release fungicidal chemicals
into the soil. Rotation of garlic with tomatoes, for instance, can reduce
the likelihood of soilborne tomato diseases.

This is something I am practicing, following a crop of tomatos with garlic
sown mid winter.
rob

Old 19-08-2007, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 08:34:35 +0100, Sacha
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

Just a day or so ago I read that 50/50 milk and water can be sprayed on
gooseberries to counteract mildew. I'd never heard of that before but Ray
says he has a faint memory of it. Might be worth a try for those who are
plagued by it.

I put custard on mine.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³
Old 19-08-2007, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 08:34:35 +0100, Sacha
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

Just a day or so ago I read that 50/50 milk and water can be sprayed on
gooseberries to counteract mildew. I'd never heard of that before but Ray
says he has a faint memory of it. Might be worth a try for those who are
plagued by it.

I put custard on mine.

With a little sugar if they are too tart? :-)

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007 FULL. WAIT LIST OPERATING
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 19-08-2007, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/8/07 12:12, in article ,
"®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³" wrote:

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 08:34:35 +0100, Sacha
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

Just a day or so ago I read that 50/50 milk and water can be sprayed on
gooseberries to counteract mildew. I'd never heard of that before but Ray
says he has a faint memory of it. Might be worth a try for those who are
plagued by it.

I put custard on mine.

There's always one...... ;-)

Old 19-08-2007, 07:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 21:11:10 +1200, "George.com"
wrote:

[...]

I would question whether it's the baking soda or the oil that has the
fungicidal properties, or even the soap, otherwise why not just use
baking soda on its own. It looks to me as though the baking soda (a
mild alkali) and the soap are there to help stabilise the oil
emulsion. It would also need very energetic shaking to get a good
emulsion. A paint stirrer on an electric drill, or a food blender,
might be better than shaking. The better the emulsion, the more
effective the spray.

I would also expect the mix to be quite good as an insecticide.
Several of these on the market nowadays are little more than emulsions
of vegetable oil in water, stabilised with a soap of some sort, and
best not used indoors.

--
Chris

Old 19-08-2007, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg writes:

| I would question whether it's the baking soda or the oil that has the
| fungicidal properties, or even the soap, otherwise why not just use
| baking soda on its own. ...

Both baking soda and soap are traditional household remedies for
surface fungal infections of the skin; sometimes they even work.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-08-2007, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Rance writes:

| Bit late for this year as the spraying season is almost over, that is,
| one shouldn't spray within three weeks of gathering the harvest. But
| then, that's for Dithane and Bordeaux Mixture. A milk and water mixture
| might be the answer in this situation!

Yes, precisely. If it is likely to contaminate the crop, even sprayed
on the same day, then you should change your dairy!

The time for Bordeaux mixture is less important than whether there
is significant rainfall between the spraying and cropping and whether
the grapes are well washed. Small amounts of copper residue aren't
going to harm you, but you don't want to eat more than a few
milligrammes (and that's per season, not per meal).

My suspicion is that the rules cause as much harm as good in dry
seasons - as you would expect from anything designed by bureaucrats.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

when mildew isn't mildew T[_4_] Edible Gardening 1 16-08-2016 07:09 AM
mildew on roses Theresa Chao Roses 4 08-04-2003 04:56 PM
Downy mildew query CandL Australia 3 05-04-2003 07:35 AM
Rosemary mold/mildew? Jack Curry Edible Gardening 5 12-03-2003 04:56 PM
DOWNEY MILDEW rosy Roses 4 13-02-2003 06:25 PM