Old 23-08-2007, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ants

lovely day today so been out in the garden -

I've found 4 ant colonies - 2 of which had a 'hatching' this morning where
100's of flying ants took off.

Are these ants harmful in any way? Will they get into the house and be a
nuisance? Should I get rid of them?

thanks for any advice,
g.

Old 26-08-2007, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Fat Freddy's Cat" wrote in message
lovely day today so been out in the garden -
I've found 4 ant colonies - 2 of which had a 'hatching' this morning where
100's of flying ants took off.
Are these ants harmful in any way? Will they get into the house and be a
nuisance? Should I get rid of them?

A kettle of boiling water down each nest is the traditional remedy,
although the way the RSPCA (Really Silly People Criminalising All)
is going you'll soon get sent down for doing that. Just what is wrong
with drowning unwanted cats and dogs, its the traditional way!

Old 26-08-2007, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter" wrote in message ...

"Fat Freddy's Cat" wrote in message
lovely day today so been out in the garden -
I've found 4 ant colonies - 2 of which had a 'hatching' this morning
where 100's of flying ants took off.
Are these ants harmful in any way? Will they get into the house and be a
nuisance? Should I get rid of them?

A kettle of boiling water down each nest is the traditional remedy,

Very interesting to watch what happens later. The live ants then bring out
all the ead ants and take them quite some distance from the nest. The birds
then come along and eat the boiled ants :-)

Just what is wrong
with drowning unwanted cats and dogs, its the traditional way!

What a marvellous idea. I will drink to anything which gets rid of the
vermin cat from the garden. :-))

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007 FULL. WAIT LIST OPERATING
www.rneba.org.uk to find your ex-Greenie mess mates
www.iowtours.com for all ex-Service Reunions. More being added daily

ants,ants, and more ants, AAAARRRRRRGGGG Paul O. Gardening 9 11-08-2008 09:13 PM
ants v Amdro -- ants winning Wayfarer Texas 11 09-04-2003 05:08 PM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 3 05-04-2003 07:36 AM
ants in worm farm Mousie Australia 8 02-04-2003 11:20 AM
Ants, ants and more ants.... Janet Australia 5 29-03-2003 04:32 PM