Old 23-08-2007, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default berry identified by photo

A friend who is renting a house has some berries in their garden about the
size of large grapes and a dark black colour and wishes to identify them.

Since this group does not accept photos, how might I post a photo that could
be looked at by those in this group please?

Old 23-08-2007, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 23, 1:25 pm, "johngood_____" wrote:
A friend who is renting a house has some berries in their garden about the
size of large grapes and a dark black colour and wishes to identify them.

Since this group does not accept photos, how might I post a photo that could
be looked at by those in this group please?

I use this website when I need to do this:

www.tinypic.com

Upload your photo as indicated on the tinypic site, then, just copy
and past a link to it in your UKRG post, and people can go and see
your pickie.

Cat(h)

Old 23-08-2007, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 23, 1:25 pm, "johngood_____" wrote:
A friend who is renting a house has some berries in their garden about
the
size of large grapes and a dark black colour and wishes to identify them.

Since this group does not accept photos, how might I post a photo that
could
be looked at by those in this group please?

I use this website when I need to do this:

www.tinypic.com

Upload your photo as indicated on the tinypic site, then, just copy
and past a link to it in your UKRG post, and people can go and see
your pickie.

Cat(h)

Many Thanks. here is the web url.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6baazno

Old 23-08-2007, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 23, 1:25 pm, "johngood_____" wrote:
A friend who is renting a house has some berries in their garden
about the
size of large grapes and a dark black colour and wishes to identify
them. Since this group does not accept photos, how might I post a photo
that could
be looked at by those in this group please?

I use this website when I need to do this:

www.tinypic.com

Upload your photo as indicated on the tinypic site, then, just copy
and past a link to it in your UKRG post, and people can go and see
your pickie.

Cat(h)

Many Thanks. here is the web url.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6baazno

They're not berries, they're damsons!

Old 23-08-2007, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"johngood_____" writes:

| Many Thanks. here is the web url.
| http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6baazno

Damson or bullace. Prunus domestica. Excellent for jam, jelly,
chutney, cheese, puddings and even eating raw if you like fierce
flavours.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 23-08-2007, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

In article ,
"johngood_____" writes:

Many Thanks. here is the web url.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6baazno

Damson or bullace. Prunus domestica. Excellent for jam, jelly,
chutney, cheese, puddings and even eating raw if you like fierce
flavours.

And if you don't like them, send them to my mate Albert. He can't get enough
of them.

Not my cup of tea though, except in jam.

Old 23-08-2007, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Uncle Marvo" writes:

| Damson or bullace. Prunus domestica. Excellent for jam, jelly,
| chutney, cheese, puddings and even eating raw if you like fierce
| flavours.
|
| And if you don't like them, send them to my mate Albert. He can't get enough
| of them.

Or me :-)

| Not my cup of tea though, except in jam.

I've not made tea with them, though I have heard of it. I have made
prunes, which were not a great success.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-08-2007, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

In article ,
"johngood_____" writes:

Many Thanks. here is the web url.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6baazno

Damson or bullace. Prunus domestica. Excellent for jam, jelly,
chutney, cheese, puddings and even eating raw if you like fierce
flavours.

And if you don't like them, send them to my mate Albert. He can't get
enough of them.

Not my cup of tea though, except in jam.

They make wonderful cheese!

Mary

Old 23-08-2007, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Aug 23, 1:25 pm, "johngood_____" wrote:
A friend who is renting a house has some berries in their garden
about the
size of large grapes and a dark black colour and wishes to identify
them. Since this group does not accept photos, how might I post a

photo
that could
be looked at by those in this group please?

I use this website when I need to do this:

www.tinypic.com

Upload your photo as indicated on the tinypic site, then, just copy
and past a link to it in your UKRG post, and people can go and see
your pickie.

Cat(h)

Many Thanks. here is the web url.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6baazno

They're not berries, they're damsons!

I would have said sloes, a quick taste will determine (if sloes it will feel
as if all your teeth are being sandpapered!)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 23-08-2007, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

t...

"johngood_____" writes:

Many Thanks. here is the web url.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6baazno

Thanks to all. Have now tasted one and they are a bit plum tasting, and not
too sharp. This family has young children, so if they are damsons then i
guess its ok for them to go ahead and 'scoff'?

Old 23-08-2007, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 23, 5:13 pm, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

, I, Marvo, say :

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Aren't they a bit big for sloes, bearing in mind the coin on the photo
for scale?
If they're damson, don't bother making anything other than jam with
them - the jam is divine.
Cat(h)

Cat(h)

Old 23-08-2007, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"johngood_____" writes:

Many Thanks. here is the web url.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6baazno

Thanks to all. Have now tasted one and they are a bit plum tasting, and not
too sharp. This family has young children, so if they are damsons then i
guess its ok for them to go ahead and 'scoff'?

Quite - but be sure to keep some for making jam. And keep the
immodium to hand if the kids overindulge ;-)

Cat(h) (jealous)

Old 23-08-2007, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com,
"Cat(h)" writes:
| On Aug 23, 5:26 pm, "johngood_____" wrote:
|
| Thanks to all. Have now tasted one and they are a bit plum tasting, and not
| too sharp. This family has young children, so if they are damsons then i
| guess its ok for them to go ahead and 'scoff'?
|
| Quite - but be sure to keep some for making jam. And keep the
| immodium to hand if the kids overindulge ;-)

Hell, no. Just place a potty outside and tell them not to come in
until they are fit for public release :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 23-08-2007, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"johngood_____" writes:

Many Thanks. here is the web url.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6baazno

Thanks to all. Have now tasted one and they are a bit plum tasting, and not
too sharp. This family has young children, so if they are damsons then i
guess its ok for them to go ahead and 'scoff'?

Quite - but be sure to keep some for making jam. And keep the
immodium to hand if the kids overindulge ;-)

You shouldn't use immodium without a prescription.

You don't need a prescription for it in UK but you can't buy it OTC unless
there's a pharmacist in the chemist's shop. Nobody with a stomach ulcer or
breathing problems, such as bronchitis, should take it.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-08-2007, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi..

[...berry cheese...]
Hmm they did what..? Mary, would you mind explane it to me?
Any other ideas or comments are welcome..!
Thanks in advance..!

--
cu
Marco