Old 13-09-2007, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default moss

I have moss in my garden, Is there a moss machine to remove the moss,
because the person is disabled and can't use an ordinary rake because it
takes great effort, and if there is are they any good

ste

Old 13-09-2007, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"STEPHEN" wrote in message
I have moss in my garden, Is there a moss machine to remove the moss,
because the person is disabled and can't use an ordinary rake because it
takes great effort, and if there is are they any good

i think they are called 'scarifiers'... spelling may be off there, but they
are electric things that get the moss out of lawns. you'd still have to pick
it up though

ste

Old 13-09-2007, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , STEPHEN
writes

"STEPHEN" wrote in message
I have moss in my garden, Is there a moss machine to remove the moss,
because the person is disabled and can't use an ordinary rake because it
takes great effort, and if there is are they any good

i think they are called 'scarifiers'... spelling may be off there, but
they are electric things that get the moss out of lawns. you'd still have
to pick it up though

Like lawn-mowers, some scarifiers come with attachments which collect
the material removed.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 13-09-2007, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"STEPHEN" wrote in message
I have moss in my garden, Is there a moss machine to remove the moss,
because the person is disabled and can't use an ordinary rake because it
takes great effort, and if there is are they any good

i think they are called 'scarifiers'... spelling may be off there, but
they are electric things that get the moss out of lawns. you'd still have
to pick it up though

You might consider aerating the lawn afterwards to help improve the drainage
a bit. Also, a moss killer (a sort of iron-rich fertiliser) might help - it
will certainly green it up nicely.
Graham

Old 14-09-2007, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"STEPHEN" wrote in message
I have moss in my garden, Is there a moss machine to remove the moss,
because the person is disabled and can't use an ordinary rake because it
takes great effort, and if there is are they any good

i think they are called 'scarifiers'... spelling may be off there, but
they are electric things that get the moss out of lawns. you'd still
have
to pick it up though

Like lawn-mowers, some scarifiers come with attachments which collect the
material removed.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Yeah the only problem is the quantity of the stuff.

I end up having to empty the bin every few feet when I do mine.

Otherwise they're very easy to use and a lot of them are self propelled
which would be good for the OP.

Stephen

Old 14-09-2007, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"STEPHEN" wrote in message
I have moss in my garden, Is there a moss machine to remove the moss,
because the person is disabled and can't use an ordinary rake because it
takes great effort, and if there is are they any good

you could simply spray it with a water soluable solution (garden centre can
tell you what to use) and leave it where is to slowly rot away. Won't look
so good for a while but will eventually get taken over by grass. I have done
that and it works ok.

rob

Old 14-09-2007, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"STEPHEN" wrote in message
[...]

You do need to treat the moss first to kill it, leave it for a couple
of weeks to die off and then rake it out.

It you don't kill it first, you may rake most of it out but spread it
thoroughly at the same time!

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°³

Old 14-09-2007, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"STEPHEN" wrote in message
[...]

You'll need to kill the moss first but when you are ready to scarify you'll
need to go over it a few times.

The first go is the worst and less comes off with each subsequent pass.

In my experience having used one I'd never even consider manual raking now
and yes they're very effective.

Stephen

Old 16-09-2007, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"STEPHEN" wrote in message
I have moss in my garden, Is there a moss machine to remove the moss,
because the person is disabled and can't use an ordinary rake because it
takes great effort, and if there is are they any good

Moss has never worried me in the 'lawn' cos it doesn't have to be mown!

ste