Old 20-09-2007, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant ID please

We've lost the plant label to this flower (probably nicked by our black
Labrador).

The plant is unusual because it's flowers never appear above the crown of
foliage, they are always buried unseen within the plant. Is this normal?
Not complaining though because the leaves are quite attractive anyway.

Photos at:

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/photos/Hpim5804a.jpg

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/photos/Hpim5807a.jpg

David.

Old 20-09-2007, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David (Normandy) wrote:
We've lost the plant label to this flower (probably nicked by our black
Labrador).

The plant is unusual because it's flowers never appear above the crown of
foliage, they are always buried unseen within the plant. Is this normal?
Not complaining though because the leaves are quite attractive anyway.

Photos at:

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/photos/Hpim5804a.jpg

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/photos/Hpim5807a.jpg

David.

Looks like a clump of strawberry plants.
Old 20-09-2007, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , "David
(Normandy)" writes
We've lost the plant label to this flower (probably nicked by our black
Labrador).

The plant is unusual because it's flowers never appear above the crown of
foliage, they are always buried unseen within the plant. Is this normal?
Not complaining though because the leaves are quite attractive anyway.

Photos at:

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/photos/Hpim5804a.jpg

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/photos/Hpim5807a.jpg

David.

It looks like a Potentilla. (OK, it also looks like a Fragaria, but I
think you would have noticed the fruits.) The usual red-flowered (do the
flowers open red?) herbaceous Potentilla in cultivation is Potentilla
nepalensis, but this doesn't appear to be that.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 20-09-2007, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Frank Booth Snr" wrote in message

Looks like a clump of strawberry plants.

No. They are definitely not strawberry plants! While there is a certain
similarity to the leaf shape, these leaves are a silvery / blue / green.

Next?

David.

Old 20-09-2007, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , "David (Normandy)"
writes
We've lost the plant label to this flower (probably nicked by our black
Labrador).

The plant is unusual because it's flowers never appear above the crown of
foliage, they are always buried unseen within the plant. Is this normal?
Not complaining though because the leaves are quite attractive anyway.

Photos at:

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/photos/Hpim5804a.jpg

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/photos/Hpim5807a.jpg

David.

It looks like a Potentilla. (OK, it also looks like a Fragaria, but I
think you would have noticed the fruits.) The usual red-flowered (do the
flowers open red?) herbaceous Potentilla in cultivation is Potentilla
nepalensis, but this doesn't appear to be that.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

The flowers are a brilliant blood red. A bud is visible in the second photo.
Though the plant is more leaves than flowers, and most of the flowers that
have appeared are lost amongst the foliage - they don't seem to be on tall
stalks.

David.

Old 21-09-2007, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 20, 5:26 pm, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:
We've lost the plant label to this flower (probably nicked by our black
Labrador).

The plant is unusual because it's flowers never appear above the crown of
foliage, they are always buried unseen within the plant. Is this normal?
Not complaining though because the leaves are quite attractive anyway.

Photos at:

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/photos/Hpim5804a.jpg

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/photos/Hpim5807a.jpg

David.

Potentilla.
There is a bunch of these herbaceous ones (e.g. Gibson's Scarlet) with
brick red flowers. It might be hard to tell which variety but it is a
Potentilla. The most familiar garden Potentillas are shrubby with
white, yellow or orange flowers related to P.fruticosa but you have
one of the non shrubby ones. I have one exactly like that in my front
garden. Nice plant although the flowers are usually a bit sparse.

Des

Old 21-09-2007, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 20, 7:58 pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , "David
(Normandy)" writesWe've lost the plant label to this flower (probably nicked by our black
Labrador).

The plant is unusual because it's flowers never appear above the crown of
foliage, they are always buried unseen within the plant. Is this normal?
Not complaining though because the leaves are quite attractive anyway.

Photos at:

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/photos/Hpim5804a.jpg

http://www.avisoft.co.uk/photos/Hpim5807a.jpg

David.

It looks like a Potentilla. (OK, it also looks like a Fragaria, but I
think you would have noticed the fruits.) The usual red-flowered (do the
flowers open red?) herbaceous Potentilla in cultivation is Potentilla
nepalensis, but this doesn't appear to be that.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Agreed it is a potentilla.

Des

Old 21-09-2007, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message . com, Des
Higgins writes
wrote:
[...]

Vegetatively it looks pretty much like Potentilla sterilis (Barren
Strawberry).

There a lot of Potentillas (but the botanists have several minds about
exactly what is and isn't a Potentilla - for example you may find the
shrubby ones under the name Dasiphora fruticosa) but the commonest leaf
configuration has 5 leaflets. This one has 3 leaflets, which would help
with pinning it down, if one can get ones hands on a set of
descriptions.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 21-09-2007, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 21, 11:39 am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message . com, Des
Higgins writes

wrote:
[...]

I just meant it might be hard to tell which variety, not the species.
That particular type (herbaceous with 3 leaflets and brick red
flowers; you gave the species name in an earlier post) has a few
different varieties.

Des

Old 21-09-2007, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 20, 7:59 pm, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:
"Frank Booth Snr" wrote in ...

Looks like a clump of strawberry plants.

No. They are definitely not strawberry plants! While there is a certain
similarity to the leaf shape, these leaves are a silvery / blue / green.

Next?

They're amazingly alike, though. Are potentilla and strawbs related?

Cat(h)

Old 21-09-2007, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com,
"Cat(h)" writes
On Sep 20, 7:59 pm, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:
"Frank Booth Snr" wrote in

Looks like a clump of strawberry plants.

No. They are definitely not strawberry plants! While there is a certain
similarity to the leaf shape, these leaves are a silvery / blue / green.

Next?

They're amazingly alike, though. Are potentilla and strawbs related?

Cat(h)

In 2002 Mabberley wrote a paper (D.J. Mabberley, Potentilla and Fragaria
(Rosaceae) reunited, Telopea 9(4): 793-802 (2002)) in which he
reclassified strawberries as potentillas.

In 2003 Erikkson et al wrote a paper (Eriksson et al, The Phylogeny of
Rosoideae (Rosaceae) Based on Sequences of the Internal Transcribed
Spacers (ITS) of Nuclear Ribosomal DNA and the TrnL/F Region of
Chloroplast DNA , Int. J. Plant Sci. 164(2):197-211 (2003)) in which
they reported that Potentilla and assorted segregate genera fall into
two groups, each of which is sister to the other. However one of those
groups also contains Alchemilla (Lady's Mantle) and Aphanes (Parsley
Piert), which nobody is very keen on sinking is Potentilla. That implies
restricting Potentilla to the other group.

In simplified terms strawberries (Fragaria) are cinquefoils (Potentilla)
with fleshy false fruits.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 21-09-2007, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article . com,
says...
wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've googled Potentilla - yes there are
a lot of varieties! It looks like it may be one of them. This one
doesn't seem to have many flowers either.

David.
Old 22-09-2007, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 14:19:04 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message .com,
"Cat(h)" writes
On Sep 20, 7:59 pm, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:
"Frank Booth Snr" wrote in

[...]

Thanks for that most comprehensive answer!

Cat(h)
Old 22-09-2007, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 22 Sep, 14:21, "Cat(h)" wrote:
On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 14:19:04 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley

wrote:
In message .com,
"Cat(h)" writes
On Sep 20, 7:59 pm, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:
"Frank Booth Snr" wrote in

[...]

I just wonder if you are treating it to well, try no feed, of feeding
with Tomato feed to encourage flowering
David hill

Old 23-09-2007, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 13:19:23 -0700, Dave Hill
wrote:

On 22 Sep, 14:21, "Cat(h)" wrote:
On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 14:19:04 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley

wrote:
In message .com,
"Cat(h)" writes
On Sep 20, 7:59 pm, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:
"Frank Booth Snr" wrote in

[...]

Hmmm.. Don't be accusing me of over-pampering someone else's plants,
now... God knows I often ignore my own well enough !

Cat(h)