Old 21-09-2007, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

Default The Absolute Worst Flower for Your Garden

The world's largest flower is also one of the worst smelling flowers.
Rafflesia Arnoldii is often over 3 feet wide and its petals are almost
an inch thick. You wouldn't want it in your garden, however, because
it smells like a rotting animal. The flower is attempting to attract
flies for pollination. - from www.odd-info.com

Old 21-09-2007, 07:37 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

Rafflesia Arnoldii is often over 3 feet wide and its petals are almost
an inch thick. You wouldn't want it in your garden, however, because
it smells like a rotting animal.

Has anyone grown it in a garden? Not as far as I know (it is an
obligate parasite of certain specific plants).

The Titan Arum, on the other hand, another large carrion flower, is
grown in captivity, with increasing success in recent years:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_arum
Old 21-09-2007, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

Jim Kingdon wrote in
news
Rafflesia Arnoldii is often over 3 feet wide and its petals are almost
an inch thick. You wouldn't want it in your garden, however, because
it smells like a rotting animal.

Has anyone grown it in a garden? Not as far as I know (it is an
obligate parasite of certain specific plants).

The Titan Arum, on the other hand, another large carrion flower, is
grown in captivity, with increasing success in recent years:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_arum

My friends grew a Voodoo Lily in their front yard in central Indiana. It
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeked but it was pretty cool, nonetheless.

Photo he
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...65994325GDUtRa
Old 21-09-2007, 10:39 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

"javawizard" wrote in message
oups.com...
The world's largest flower is also one of the worst smelling flowers.
Rafflesia Arnoldii is often over 3 feet wide and its petals are almost
an inch thick. You wouldn't want it in your garden, however, because
it smells like a rotting animal. The flower is attempting to attract
flies for pollination. - from www.odd-info.com

The common stapelia which is in bloom now also stinks like rotting meat. I
leave them outside until frost threatens, cut off any remaining flowers or
buds and bring them inside.

Old 22-09-2007, 07:24 AM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
Jim Kingdon wrote in
news
Rafflesia Arnoldii is often over 3 feet wide and its petals are almost
an inch thick. You wouldn't want it in your garden, however, because
it smells like a rotting animal.

Has anyone grown it in a garden? Not as far as I know (it is an
obligate parasite of certain specific plants).

The Titan Arum, on the other hand, another large carrion flower, is
grown in captivity, with increasing success in recent years:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_arum

My friends grew a Voodoo Lily in their front yard in central Indiana. It
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeked but it was pretty cool, nonetheless.

There is a native shrub that's popular in these parts which is one of the
murrayas. The smell makes me want to toss my lunch. It isn't like rotten
flesh, more like really cheap public toilet air "freshener" but
concentrated.

David

Old 22-09-2007, 07:49 PM posted to rec.gardens,uk.rec.gardening

In article , David Hare-Scott
writes

There is a native shrub that's popular in these parts which is one of the
murrayas. The smell makes me want to toss my lunch. It isn't like rotten
flesh, more like really cheap public toilet air "freshener" but
concentrated.

David

Similar to Salvia Turkestanica then. It's supposed to be reminiscent of
a typing pool in summer!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

The Absolute Worst Flower for Your Garden javawizard Gardening 5 22-09-2007 07:49 PM
Absolute beginer Peter C Bonsai 4 01-09-2004 10:10 AM
[IBC] Absolute beginer Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 0 31-08-2004 01:40 AM
Absolute rank never-done-nothing beginner. Help! Rev. J. Toad Gardening 8 25-03-2003 05:56 PM