Old 24-09-2007, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT Micro planet newsreader

I am trying this out, its good at getting rid of unwanted stuff but as I
do not use a newsreader much (just this ng) I am finding it difficult to
work out the settings, I have managed to get my signature put on but have
noticed that it seems to want to chop the person I am responding to
signature off! anyone one know why?
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 24-09-2007, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Uncle Marvo says...
, I, Marvo, say :

I am trying this out, its good at getting rid of unwanted stuff but
as I do not use a newsreader much (just this ng) I am finding it
difficult to work out the settings, I have managed to get my
signature put on but have noticed that it seems to want to chop the
person I am responding to signature off! anyone one know why?

Because it's meant to?

OE does that when you install OEQuoteFix, so I'm assuming that it's the
status quo.

I think you are right. I've had a look in the settings and there are no
options to do otherwise. Though it is possible to include the name of
the sender at the top of article by adding %n before "says..."

There are one or two things I don't like about this newsreader, such as
the spell checker being a bit buggy, but overall it is far better than
OE.

I've managed to eliminate most of the rubbish posted to the group with a
few rules, which I'm still refining but essentially include:
1. Delete all messages cross-posted to more than 2 groups.
2. Delete all posts from Privacy.net
3. Delete all posts containing various offensive words / phrases in the
body of the message.
4. Use the scoring feature to create a negative score for any messages
with the above words anywhere in a posting (subject, body, from,
header), then use another rule to delete all posts with a negative
score.
Once set, it all works automatically and smoothly.
--
David in Normandy.
Old 24-09-2007, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Uncle Marvo writes
, I, Marvo, say :

I am trying this out, its good at getting rid of unwanted stuff but
as I do not use a newsreader much (just this ng) I am finding it
difficult to work out the settings, I have managed to get my
signature put on but have noticed that it seems to want to chop the
person I am responding to signature off! anyone one know why?

Because it's meant to?

OE does that when you install OEQuoteFix, so I'm assuming that it's the
status quo.

General usenet convention is that you don't quote sigs (after all, the
heading at the top of the post usually says who you're responding to) so
newsreaders chop them off so you don't have to bother.

The mechanics is that the newsreader delineates the sig in a particular
way - a 'sig separator' (something like two dashes followed by a
space), and when it recognises this configuration in a post being
responded to, it deletes everything after that.

My sig separator appears to be broke - sorry :-(

--
Kay
Old 24-09-2007, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin says...
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:03:48 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

In article , Uncle Marvo says...
, I, Marvo, say :

[...]

Bad move legitimate posters here and elsewhere use privacy.net to prevent spam.

Oops! Having looked at a number of troll posts I got the impression it
was largely a troll tool to hide their identity / ISP etc.
Out of curiosity how does it cut out spam? I just use my ISP to post
messages and don't get any spam because I don't put a valid email
address in the postings. Why is the extra "security" necessary?
--
David in Normandy.
Old 24-09-2007, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Martin says...
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 13:43:34 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

In article , Martin says...
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:03:48 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

In article , Uncle Marvo says...
, I, Marvo, say :

[...]

It used to route replies to a website that gave the spammer an earful. In the
meantime somebody has bought the site and now the spammer gets spam :-)

A useful technique I use is password protected email addresses.
So in a forum such as this I can freely give out my valid email address:

But there is a filter that automatically deletes all emails to this
address on the mail server that do not have the password BLUESKY
somewhere in the subject line.

It receives hundreds of spam emails a day but they don't reach my inbox.
There are additional filter rules too based on size, any attachements,
offensive language, spam key-words etc, but the password protection
works so well that these extra rules are seldom needed. :-)
--
David in Normandy.
(The free MicroPlanet Gravity newsreader is great for eliminating