Old 10-10-2007, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ashes question

Your help would be appreciated here.
I am fitting a wood burning stove into my house
so will obviously have a lot of wood ash to get
rid of.
I thought it may be useful on my allotment but
just how to use it I do not know.
Should I just throw it on the soil and dig it in or
would it be better put on the compost heap ??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wally

Old 11-10-2007, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message
Your help would be appreciated here.
I am fitting a wood burning stove into my house
so will obviously have a lot of wood ash to get
rid of.
I thought it may be useful on my allotment but
just how to use it I do not know.
Should I just throw it on the soil and dig it in or
would it be better put on the compost heap ??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wally

Definitely best to spread it evenly on your allotment where it will work
itself into the soil and provide extra potash and other beneficial
ingredients.

Not a good idea at all to put it on the compost heap as it will tend to
make the compost soggy which is not conducive to activating the rotting
process.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message
Your help would be appreciated here.
I am fitting a wood burning stove into my house
so will obviously have a lot of wood ash to get
rid of.
I thought it may be useful on my allotment but
just how to use it I do not know.
Should I just throw it on the soil and dig it in or
would it be better put on the compost heap ??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wally

Think twice if you have just done a deal with the local window company to
'take all their old window frames off their hands' and the frames are
painted with lead based paints :-((

I "believe" that could be a problem, but no doubt I will be corrected.

A friend of mine has a very large window business and getting rid of the old
frames is a costly matter :-(

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message
Your help would be appreciated here.
I am fitting a wood burning stove into my house
so will obviously have a lot of wood ash to get
rid of.
I thought it may be useful on my allotment but
just how to use it I do not know.
Should I just throw it on the soil and dig it in or
would it be better put on the compost heap ??

Some very good advice I got he-
Use the ash as a slug barrier round the veg patch.

Tim w

Old 11-10-2007, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message
Your help would be appreciated here.
I am fitting a wood burning stove into my house
so will obviously have a lot of wood ash to get
rid of.
I thought it may be useful on my allotment but
just how to use it I do not know.
Should I just throw it on the soil and dig it in or
would it be better put on the compost heap ??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wally

In our last house we just tipped the ashes around the roses. They seemed to
love the stuff.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

Your help would be appreciated here.
I am fitting a wood burning stove into my house
so will obviously have a lot of wood ash to get
rid of.
I thought it may be useful on my allotment but
just how to use it I do not know.
Should I just throw it on the soil and dig it in or
would it be better put on the compost heap ??

Roses etc love it, slugs/snails etc hate it. So unless you're cultivating
slugs rather than plants, doi it.

If it is going to be dry for a long while it blows all over the place and is
a bit antisocial, so it's best to water it down or chuck it on when it's
raining. I use old compost bags, the thickish plastic ones, to store it in
then go out when it's raining an chuck it about.

Be careful when putting it into the bags that it isn't hot, it's amazing how
long wood ash stays hot in the ash pan, especially when you riddle the fire
and get all the still-quite-hot embers.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Oct, 09:52, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
Roses etc love it, slugs/snails etc hate it. So unless you're cultivating
slugs rather than plants, doi it.
If it is going to be dry for a long while it blows all over the place and is
a bit antisocial, so it's best to water it down or chuck it on when it's
raining. I use old compost bags, the thickish plastic ones, to store it in
then go out when it's raining an chuck it about.
Be careful when putting it into the bags that it isn't hot, it's amazing how
long wood ash stays hot in the ash pan, especially when you riddle the fire
and get all the still-quite-hot embers.

I use our ashes to compact my path at the allotment. It helps a lot.
This just reminded me to call our chimney sweep ...!

Old 11-10-2007, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Think twice if you have just done a deal with the local window company to
'take all their old window frames off their hands' and the frames are
painted with lead based paints :-((

I "believe" that could be a problem, but no doubt I will be corrected.

A friend of mine has a very large window business and getting rid of the
old frames is a costly matter :-(

Mike

No painted wood involved at all Mike a friend has a cable business and
has lots of baterning from the cable drums, all clean wood and he is having
probs getting rid of it.

Wally

Old 11-10-2007, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you all for help and advice.

Wally

Old 12-10-2007, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message

Think twice if you have just done a deal with the local window company to
'take all their old window frames off their hands' and the frames are
painted with lead based paints :-((

I "believe" that could be a problem, but no doubt I will be corrected.

A friend of mine has a very large window business and getting rid of the
old frames is a costly matter :-(

Mike

No painted wood involved at all Mike a friend has a cable business and
has lots of baterning from the cable drums, all clean wood and he is
having
probs getting rid of it.

Wally

Battening from Cable Drums????

Ideal for making Compost Bins. Go into business ;-)

Some of my first Compost Bins were made from those when I worked for the GPO
Telephones :-))

Mike

Old 12-10-2007, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Battening from Cable Drums????

Ideal for making Compost Bins. Go into business ;-)

Some of my first Compost Bins were made from those when I worked for the
GPO Telephones :-))

Mike

So what do you think my compost bin is made of ?? ))

Wally

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.
www.rneba.org.uk to find your ex-Greenie mess mates
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will have a
Stand

Old 13-10-2007, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote in message

Battening from Cable Drums????

Ideal for making Compost Bins. Go into business ;-)

Some of my first Compost Bins were made from those when I worked for the
GPO Telephones :-))

Mike

So what do you think my compost bin is made of ?? ))

Wally

;-)

The Plastic Daleks????????

Like the ones we are just getting rid of ;-} ??????

Mike
With egg on face!

Old 13-10-2007, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The Plastic Daleks????????

Like the ones we are just getting rid of ;-} ??????

Got one of those in the garden Mike and it does a good job
there for garden weeds, dead flowers and kitchen waste but
nothing like big enough for the allotment.
Made a nice big one from timber, about 4ft x 4ft for that job.

Wally

Question on ashes Wally[_3_] United Kingdom 14 24-02-2009 05:21 PM
Ashes to Ashes Steve Newport Edible Gardening 8 21-03-2006 09:03 AM
Ashes to Ashes Steve Newport United Kingdom 6 13-02-2006 08:57 AM
Ashes & Soot in Pond stricks760 Ponds 3 28-11-2003 05:44 PM
Ashes to ashes Nelson Kirsch Gardening 2 16-05-2003 04:08 PM