Old 08-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Registered User

Default My Dog Keeps Killing My Lawn

Can anyone help me with a solution to my lawn problem. My dog keeps urinating on my lawn (better than in the house) but as a result the grass discolours in this area a few days later and I end up with a very patchy lawn.

I dont want to stop my dog going out but I want a beautiful lawn as well.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do about this problem?

Thanks

Mark
Old 08-10-2007, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Mark Woodcock

Mark train your dog to pee somewhere else. Do you have a paved or concrete
area which can be hosed/watered down after?

Guide Dogs from a very early age are trained to go when and where they are
told.

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk for the latest pictures of the very first reunion and
Inaugural General Meeting. Nothing less than a fantastic success.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mark Woodcock" wrote in message

Can anyone help me with a solution to my lawn problem. My dog keeps
urinating on my lawn (better than in the house) but as a result the
grass discolours in this area a few days later and I end up with a very
patchy lawn.

I dont want to stop my dog going out but I want a beautiful lawn as
well.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do about this problem?

Get rid of the dog!

Or keep it on a lead and only let it out into the garden when you can
control where it goes.

Old 09-10-2007, 01:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/10/07 00:00, in article , "Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Mark Woodcock" wrote in message

Can anyone help me with a solution to my lawn problem. My dog keeps
urinating on my lawn (better than in the house) but as a result the
grass discolours in this area a few days later and I end up with a very
patchy lawn.

I dont want to stop my dog going out but I want a beautiful lawn as
well.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do about this problem?

Get rid of the dog!

Or keep it on a lead and only let it out into the garden when you can
control where it goes.

Better yet, keep a bucket of water by the door and chuck it on the grass
after the dog has peed.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-10-2007, 07:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Sacha
writes
On 9/10/07 00:00, in article ,

"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Mark Woodcock" wrote in

message

Can anyone help me with a solution to my lawn problem. My dog keeps
urinating on my lawn (better than in the house) but as a result the
grass discolours in this area a few days later and I end up with a

very
patchy lawn.

I dont want to stop my dog going out but I want a beautiful lawn as
well.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do about this problem?

Get rid of the dog!

Or keep it on a lead and only let it out into the garden when you can
control where it goes.

Better yet, keep a bucket of water by the door and chuck it on the grass
after the dog has peed.

Alternatively, chuck it on the dog before it has peed on the grass and
it will learn to pee somewhere else :-)

or even easier still do nothing. My 2 mutts **** on the lawn and bits of it
die off however the lawn always kicks back. Several things you can do to
help your grass recover is not to pamper it with endless chemicals, cut it
higher rather than shorter, let it self seed if it is inclined to do so and
encourage clover as that will help close up gaps. I do all of the above. My
lawn is looking very nice this spring, lovely and lush and full, yet my
mutss **** all over it.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote in message

In article , Sacha
writes
On 9/10/07 00:00, in article ,
"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Mark Woodcock" wrote in
message

Can anyone help me with a solution to my lawn problem. My dog keeps
urinating on my lawn (better than in the house) but as a result the
grass discolours in this area a few days later and I end up with a very
patchy lawn.

I dont want to stop my dog going out but I want a beautiful lawn as
well.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do about this problem?

Get rid of the dog!

Or keep it on a lead and only let it out into the garden when you can
control where it goes.

Better yet, keep a bucket of water by the door and chuck it on the grass
after the dog has peed.

Alternatively, chuck it on the dog before it has peed on the grass and it
will learn to pee somewhere else :-)

--
Malcolm

Some good and some stupid suggestions. However a dog, or in this case Bitch
by the sounds of things, CAN be trained to go elsewhere, and where you want
them to go. I have explained that Guide Dogs are taught to go when and where
told and this is done with praise, not chucking buckets of water over them.

We were 'Puppy Walkers' for the Guide Dogs for the Blind and we did the
initial training from 6 weeks in the case of Labs and 10 weeks in the case
of Alsatians, up to about 12 months old when they went back for Guide Dog
Training into harness.
When a dog wants a wee, you know when this is likely to be, the dog wants to
go out!! then you take it to a specific spot and once it has wee'd you
praise it. There is a word used by Puppy walkers and Guide Dog Owners as a
command and I don't think it right to disclose on an open newsgroup because
of cranks which frequent the groups. But make a command or word of your own,
which don't forget, can and should be used outside as well ;-)

If your dog/bitch is of such an age that re training is going to be a little
more difficult because of 'habit', then section/rope off the lawn and lay
some turfs elsewhere and take him/her there. Some dogs 'insist' on weeeing
on grass!! After a while that grass will be no more and you can replace it
first with gravel then slabs. You now have an area easily hosed down :-))

That is the wee side of things. Don't know what you do with solid matter,
but we would dig a very deep hole with a border spade as deep as we could
under a tree in a quiet border somewhere, a weeping Kilmarnock Willow was
superb for this, and pile the earth to one side. Any solids were dropped in
the bottom and covered with a small amount of soil. This hole took ages to
fill and when full dig another either alongside or elsewhere. After a year
or so, the same site can be excavated again.

Hope that helps as its a case of been there, done that, got the tee shirt
:-))

Mike

Old 09-10-2007, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9 Oct, 10:37, "Uncle Marvo"
wrote:
I am reliably? informed that you haven't got a dog, you've got a bitch.
Apparently dogs don't have that effect.
You could swap the bitch for a dog.
[expects some rude comments]

Hehehe! How could I. I've never had a 'dog' but always had bitches. I
just couldn't comment ;o)

Nah ... George and Sacha got it all in one - mix the two advices
together and you'll get results.

I've trained two of our 4 bitches to pee on command, but didn't
managed with two, incidentally a mum and her daughter. I think it was
something to do with their 'jeans'. Unfortunately, one, Matilda and my
favorite one, by 4 months old had substituted the word 'pee' with the
word 'been'. No kidding - it took a dog trainer friend to point this
out. When I arrived home I used to say to Matilda 'Have you 'been' a
good girl?' and this would cue her to pee on my shoes whilst jumping
up and down in frantic greetings. We don't know why and when she
started understanding that 'been' was 'pee'. My friend made me say the
same sentence randomly, and Matilda would crouch and pee. However, she
now pees on command to another word, pipi, but it took a lot of work
to achieve this.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/10/07 10:37, in article , "Uncle
Marvo" wrote:

wrote this in
, I, Marvo, say :

Can anyone help me with a solution to my lawn problem. My dog keeps
urinating on my lawn (better than in the house) but as a result the
grass discolours in this area a few days later and I end up with a
very patchy lawn.

I dont want to stop my dog going out but I want a beautiful lawn as
well.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do about this problem?

I am reliably? informed that you haven't got a dog, you've got a bitch.
Apparently dogs don't have that effect.

You could swap the bitch for a dog.

[expects some rude comments]

Dogs pee still burns but it just does it higher up as a corner of our box
hedge will testify.....
I've seen a dog living aboard a boat trained to go on that fake grass stuff
in the scuppers. That was just hosed down or dunked in the sea. But while
male dogs love what I call 'competition peeing', - ours are great at that
and it sorts out the pecking order - no dogs or bitches like one place that
starts to smell badly, so neutralising the odour and keeping the area very
clean is extremely important.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8 Oct, 16:26, Mark Woodcock Mark.Woodcock.
wrote:
Can anyone help me with a solution to my lawn problem. My dog keeps
urinating on my lawn (better than in the house) but as a result the
grass discolours in this area a few days later and I end up with a very
patchy lawn.
I dont want to stop my dog going out but I want a beautiful lawn as
well.
Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do about this problem?

Found it! I knew I had heard about a 'pee post'. Find the link below.
However I've no idea if it works or not. Dogs pee to not only releave
themselves but also to leave little 'messages' to other dogs. It is
however something to try.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/shop_stor...ost_p4003.html

Old 09-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Registered User

Thanks for all your replies. Dont think I will be throwing any water on my dog though!!

I dont have a large garden and there really is no other option than for her to go on the grass.

She will often go out unsupervised so I dont always know where she has gone.

I suppose I was looking for something that I could maybe put on the grass as either a treatment after the event or something that I could treat the grass with that would stop the discolouring in the first place.

I have heard about something that you can put in a dogs water that helps with this problem but I would rather treat the grass than the dog.

Mark
Old 09-10-2007, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 9/10/07 00:00, in article ,
"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Mark Woodcock" wrote in
message

Can anyone help me with a solution to my lawn problem. My dog keeps
urinating on my lawn (better than in the house) but as a result the
grass discolours in this area a few days later and I end up with a very
patchy lawn.

I dont want to stop my dog going out but I want a beautiful lawn as
well.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do about this problem?

Get rid of the dog!

Or keep it on a lead and only let it out into the garden when you can
control where it goes.

Better yet, keep a bucket of water by the door and chuck it on the grass
after the dog has peed.

Why didn't I think of that?

Old 09-10-2007, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have heard it said that putting tomato ketchup on the spot soonest
afterwards will help protect the grass.

Not tried it yet as I dont use ketchup

"Mark Woodcock" wrote in message

Can anyone help me with a solution to my lawn problem. My dog keeps
urinating on my lawn (better than in the house) but as a result the
grass discolours in this area a few days later and I end up with a very
patchy lawn.

I dont want to stop my dog going out but I want a beautiful lawn as
well.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do about this problem?

Thanks

Mark

--
Mark Woodcock

Dog Worms: Understand Dog Worms Symptoms and Infestation brahimbb17 Gardening 0 10-12-2008 01:17 PM
dog wee killing my lawn Biller Lawns 7 12-06-2004 02:06 AM
dog killing the lawn Phill Lee Lawns 2 05-05-2003 11:58 PM
dog killing the lawn Phill Lee Australia 10 05-04-2003 07:35 AM
dog killing the lawn Phill Lee Lawns 2 28-12-2002 03:15 PM