Old 15-11-2007, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OK if apples are frozen on the tree?

I have a young Winter Gem dessert apple which has produced a few fruits.
They have not fallen off the tree and so to add a bit of late autumn colour
to the garden I have left them on the tree.

How late can I leave apples on the tree? For instance what if there is a
sharp frost and the apples are frozen - are they then only good for cooking?
( I Googled 'frozen apples' and was advised by several sites to coat the
apples in syrup before freezing - but I don't fancy doing that in the
garden).

Any one had experience of this?

Davy

Old 16-11-2007, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Davy" wrote in message
I have a young Winter Gem dessert apple which has produced a few fruits.
They have not fallen off the tree and so to add a bit of late autumn
colour
to the garden I have left them on the tree.

How late can I leave apples on the tree? For instance what if there is a
sharp frost and the apples are frozen - are they then only good for
cooking?
( I Googled 'frozen apples' and was advised by several sites to coat the
apples in syrup before freezing - but I don't fancy doing that in the
garden).

Any one had experience of this?

Davy

do u have a brain if so use it

Old 16-11-2007, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

pied piper wrote:

Snip

do u have a brain if so use it

Oh dearie me. Pots and kettles spring to mind.
--
Linz
Wet Yorks

Old 18-11-2007, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

**** off back to uk.misc, fish face.
Old 21-11-2007, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Davy
Winter Gem is a good dessert apple. It should be picked in October
for use from November to January when stored in a cool place such as a
garage.
When left longer on a tree they ripen too much and loose their keeping
qualities (true off all apples).
Winter Gem was raised in Kent in 1975 from a cross between Grimes
Golden and Cox's Orange Pippin. It was introduced to the market in
1993. Grown as a garden aplpe rather than for commercial growing
Regards
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Old 22-11-2007, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"cliff_the_gardener" wrote in message
Davy
Winter Gem is a good dessert apple. It should be picked in October
for use from November to January when stored in a cool place such as a
garage.
When left longer on a tree they ripen too much and loose their keeping
qualities (true off all apples).
Winter Gem was raised in Kent in 1975 from a cross between Grimes
Golden and Cox's Orange Pippin. It was introduced to the market in
1993. Grown as a garden aplpe rather than for commercial growing
Regards
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Clifford,
thanks for the advice, we picked the last apple a few days ago and it was
superb; thin skin too. Next year I will try a few experiments keeping
apples on the tree and storing them.

Davy

Old 22-11-2007, 03:18 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

[QUOTEHow late can I leave apples on the tree? For instance what if there is a
sharp frost and the apples are frozen - are they then only good for cooking?][/quote]

I'm tempted to say suck it and see :-)

beech tree 'frozen' avc Gardening 1 30-07-2006 05:58 PM
Frozen Flourish Cichlidiot Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 20-04-2003 07:11 AM
frozen pipes Drew Lovasi Ponds 4 16-02-2003 06:51 AM
Frozen Pipes? BenignVanilla Ponds 4 06-02-2003 12:40 AM
re Frozen Pipes? John Rutz Ponds 0 05-02-2003 06:10 PM