Old 10-11-2008, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Palm ID

Hullo everyone! Could you help me identify this palm? Thank you.

http://cjoint.com/?lkldFG16Lz
Old 10-11-2008, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 10, 10:08 am, wrote:
Hullo everyone! Could you help me identify this palm? Thank you.

http://cjoint.com/?lkldFG16Lz

I'm not much help here as I don't know the Latin name but I would call
this a fan palm?? Maybe David Poole might be able to identify it.

Judith
Old 10-11-2008, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Nov, 11:03, Judith in France
wrote:
I'm not much help here as I don't know the Latin name but I would call
this a fan palm?? *Maybe David Poole might be able to identify it.

Thanks. A fan palm has radiate leaves like the Chamaerops humilis.
This one hasn't. We've been trying to identify this for 2 months now.
Surely somebody knows!
Old 10-11-2008, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I'm not much help here as I don't know the Latin name but I would call
this a fan palm?? Maybe David Poole might be able to identify it.

Thanks. A fan palm has radiate leaves like the Chamaerops humilis.
This one hasn't. We've been trying to identify this for 2 months now.
Surely somebody knows!

Well I have learned something then. Could you possibly post a pic of
the palm itself maybe someone would then be able to help. Charlie in
Cornwall or David would probably know the answer but I'm not sure they
are online at the moment.

Judith
Old 10-11-2008, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 571f12f5-4855-49e5-83a1-
, says...
Hullo everyone! Could you help me identify this palm? Thank you.

http://cjoint.com/?lkldFG16Lz

Might be easier if we could see the whole plant.
Try carotagigas sp
Verschaffeltia sp
Licuala sp
But more information please
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 10-11-2008, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Nov, 12:54, Martin wrote:
Puce can pick her ownhttp://mgonline.com/palms.html

Thanks. But we've been looking at hundreds of websites for a long time
now (and books). We just cannot find this palm.

It was a present given to a community centre, not labelled. The leaves
are flat and wide, as per scan, no longer than 10/15cm and 10cm wide,
dented at an angle, ridged and dark green. The trunk very much like a
yukka with leaves coming directly from the trunk.

I'll put it there again.

http://cjoint.com/?lkldFG16Lz
Old 10-11-2008, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Hullo everyone! Could you help me identify this palm? Thank you.

http://cjoint.com/?lkldFG16Lz

Use to have something like that, think it was called a torn leaf palm or
something along them lines

Old 10-11-2008, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10 Nov, 13:52, Charlie Pridham wrote:
Might be easier if we could see the whole plant.
Try carotagigas sp

Caryota mitis - no doubt. Charlie, you are incredible. Thank you so so
much. I'll have a word with the owner - there's no 'trunk', more like
branches from the ground up. I was only given a leaf, see. Hope all is
well with you and yours. This place still rocks. I'll be back )
Old 10-11-2008, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 10, 4:45 pm, wrote:
On 10 Nov, 13:52, Charlie Pridham wrote:

Might be easier if we could see the whole plant.
Try carotagigas sp

Caryota mitis - no doubt. Charlie, you are incredible. Thank you so so
much. I'll have a word with the owner - there's no 'trunk', more like
branches from the ground up. I was only given a leaf, see. Hope all is
well with you and yours. This place still rocks. I'll be back )

I knew Charlie would know, Charlie want some of my Datura seeds ???

Judith
Old 10-11-2008, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Amazing! I grow Caryota mitis as an indoor plant, C. gigas 'Himalaya'
indoors and out depending upon the weather, Arenga engleri and
micrantha outside in the border and Wodyetia bifurcata indoors. All
of them have very similar shaped leaflets at certain ages and when
divorced from the plant are almost indistinguishable. There are a
fair number of other 'fishtail palms' with similar leaflets too
depending upon maturity. The pic is far too vague to make a call,
although it is fair to say that since C. mitis is the commonest,
there's a likelihood, but no certainty that the pic is of one of its
leaflets. Unless of course, the label is in the pot with the rest of
the plant that we did not see.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 10, 7:39 pm, Dave Poole wrote:
Amazing! I grow Caryota mitis as an indoor plant, C. gigas 'Himalaya'
indoors and out depending upon the weather, Arenga engleri and
micrantha outside in the border and Wodyetia bifurcata indoors. All
of them have very similar shaped leaflets at certain ages and when
divorced from the plant are almost indistinguishable. There are a
fair number of other 'fishtail palms' with similar leaflets too
depending upon maturity. The pic is far too vague to make a call,
although it is fair to say that since C. mitis is the commonest,
there's a likelihood, but no certainty that the pic is of one of its
leaflets. Unless of course, the label is in the pot with the rest of
the plant that we did not see.

Duh Dave, why is it that you make me feel insignificant - nooo, don't
answer :-)

Judith
Old 11-11-2008, 07:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Judith wrote:

Duh Dave, why is it that you make me feel insignificant - nooo, don't
answer :-)

Now you're making me feel guilty Judith. The point I was trying to
make is that as unusual as that leaf shape may appear to be, it is
quite common amongst certain Asiatic palms. The shape of the half
leaf shown is possibly more characteristic of Caryota, but several of
the others are extremely similar in their post-seedling stages. I had
Arenga micrantha from a 2 leaved seedling and although it now has
rather long ragged-edged leaflets, for 2 years it looked just like a
large leaved Caryota. A better pic would have been of the entire
plant or at least a complete leaf showing the arrangement of the
leaflets. However, probability indicates it is C. mitis since it is
the most commonly available.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 11, 6:03 am, Dave Poole wrote:
Judith wrote:
Duh Dave, why is it that you make me feel insignificant - nooo, don't
answer :-)

Now you're making me feel guilty Judith. The point I was trying to
make is that as unusual as that leaf shape may appear to be, it is
quite common amongst certain Asiatic palms. The shape of the half
leaf shown is possibly more characteristic of Caryota, but several of
the others are extremely similar in their post-seedling stages. I had
Arenga micrantha from a 2 leaved seedling and although it now has
rather long ragged-edged leaflets, for 2 years it looked just like a
large leaved Caryota. A better pic would have been of the entire
plant or at least a complete leaf showing the arrangement of the
leaflets. However, probability indicates it is C. mitis since it is
the most commonly available.

Now I wonder if I can remember that - maybe not :-) Thanks David.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith wrote:
Duh Dave, why is it that you make me feel insignificant - nooo, don't
answer :-)

Now you're making me feel guilty Judith. The point I was trying to
make is that as unusual as that leaf shape may appear to be, it is
quite common amongst certain Asiatic palms. The shape of the half
leaf shown is possibly more characteristic of Caryota, but several of
the others are extremely similar in their post-seedling stages. I had
Arenga micrantha from a 2 leaved seedling and although it now has
rather long ragged-edged leaflets, for 2 years it looked just like a
large leaved Caryota. A better pic would have been of the entire
plant or at least a complete leaf showing the arrangement of the
leaflets. However, probability indicates it is C. mitis since it is
the most commonly available.

p.s. want any white Datura seeds, remember it was you who confirmed
that it was a true Datura, years ago?

Judith