Old 05-12-2007, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Septic Tank: how often to clean?

"Rob G" wrote in message

It is a common problem that queries are raised in this Forum without
adequate information - fair enough the OP very often doesn't know
quite what to ask, but he /she then typically disappears and doesn't
either say thank you or leaves us wallowing trying to answer a
question without all the facts.

Rob

Then why didn't you simply ask for what information you thought necessary?

Mary

Old 05-12-2007, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rob G wrote:
Oh come on Eddy - it's clear that we've all been wandering around in
the doo-doos asking what sort, or age, etc. of septic you have. It
would have put us out of our misery if you had really read the
answers, realised our difficulties and answered them. 'Hasty
response' doesn't come into it - if you want a reliable answer you
have to help us to help you.

It is a common problem that queries are raised in this Forum without
adequate information - fair enough the OP very often doesn't know
quite what to ask, but he /she then typically disappears and doesn't
either say thank you or leaves us wallowing trying to answer a
question without all the facts.

Oh, Rob, I am so sorry. I did not know that if one posts a question in
this newsgroup then one must stay glued to the screen for the next 72
hours in order to answer any question that people may have.

So sorry.

Eddy.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Eddy Bentley" wrote in message
Rob G wrote:
[...]

:-))

Nice one Eddy

Nice one!

Kind regards

Mike

--
www.rnshipmates.co.uk for ALL Royal Navy Association matters
"Navy Days" Portsmouth 25th - 27th July 2008. RN Shipmates will be there.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Eddy Bentley writes

Oh, Rob, I am so sorry. I did not know that if one posts a question in
this newsgroup then one must stay glued to the screen for the next 72
hours in order to answer any question that people may have.

Glancing in once or twice over the three days is enough ;-)
--
Kay
Old 06-12-2007, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , K
writes
Eddy Bentley writes

Oh, Rob, I am so sorry. I did not know that if one posts a question in
this newsgroup then one must stay glued to the screen for the next 72
hours in order to answer any question that people may have.

Glancing in once or twice over the three days is enough ;-)

Are we talking urg here or septic tanks??

--
Malcolm

Old 06-12-2007, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
Glancing in once or twice over the three days is enough ;-)

I do that Kay. But maybe it's a bit more prudent for somebody asking a
question to wait and SEE what a reasonable number of people suggest,
before rabbiting again? :-)

Eddy.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/12/07 09:58, in article , "Eddy
Bentley" wrote:

K wrote:
Glancing in once or twice over the three days is enough ;-)

I do that Kay. But maybe it's a bit more prudent for somebody asking a
question to wait and SEE what a reasonable number of people suggest,
before rabbiting again? :-)

Eddy.

Everyone seems to vary in their response time. IMO, the important thing is
that people do respond and don't just take the information without any form
of acknowledgment at all! That happens rarely but it's very rude when it
does happen.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-12-2007, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
"Sacha" wrote in message
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

Most people I know with modern ones have a yearly contract.

I think there might be quite a lot in that last sentence, Charlie.
I'm a
bit concerned that the OP is hearing about people who haven't touched
a tank
in 15 years

If it's working and not causing any problems why should it be interfered
with?

Those who have such working installations are confident that they don't
need interference for any reason.

Mary

Incorrect attribution Mary.

?

I didn't attribute to anyone :-)

THIS is an attribution:
" "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in message"

You were responding to something that Sacha wrote, not something that I
wrote. You snipped what I wrote but left my name in.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article 4757fd8a$0$22943$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au, ask@itshall says...
"Sacha" wrote in message
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

[...]

Easily done, I am still getting used to this newsreader which sort of
does the snipping automatically when you press follow up but for some
reason if its a long post starts by removing the most recent lower stuff!
I have several times been caught out, and posted something which if
someone had not read the previous post would have made little or no
sense! (I know if I highlight the bit I am responding to it does it
correctly) but it is nice not to have the cross posted and silly stuff
that was in danger of swamping me at this end.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 06-12-2007, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

I'm wondering whether it might be an idea to build one ... We'd like a
compost toilet but can't find instructions anywhere, CAT wasn't helpful.

Here are some plans:
http://www.greenhouse.gov.au/yourhom...nical/fs27.htm

Old 06-12-2007, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

I'm wondering whether it might be an idea to build one ... We'd like a
compost toilet but can't find instructions anywhere, CAT wasn't helpful.

Here are some plans:
http://www.greenhouse.gov.au/yourhom...nical/fs27.htm

Here is another site with some useful information:
http://www.clearwater.asn.au/resourc...ingtoilets.pdf

Old 06-12-2007, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
"Charlie Pridham" wrote:

Most people I know with modern ones have a yearly contract.

I think there might be quite a lot in that last sentence, Charlie.
I'm a
bit concerned that the OP is hearing about people who haven't touched
a tank
in 15 years

If it's working and not causing any problems why should it be
interfered with?

Those who have such working installations are confident that they don't
need interference for any reason.

Mary

Incorrect attribution Mary.

?

I didn't attribute to anyone :-)

THIS is an attribution:
" "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote in message"

You were responding to something that Sacha wrote, not something that I
wrote. You snipped what I wrote but left my name in.

Oh NO!!!

I'm most frightfully sorry - on my knees :-(

That can never have occurred before ... it must have brought you into
terrible disrepute ...

Old 06-12-2007, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Eddy Bentley writes
K wrote:
Glancing in once or twice over the three days is enough ;-)

I do that Kay. But maybe it's a bit more prudent for somebody asking a
question to wait and SEE what a reasonable number of people suggest,
before rabbiting again? :-)

But if people have asked for further information, I'd have thought the
quality of the answers might improve if that information was given? And
for the person asking for the information, it's a bit frustrating to
have made the effort to answer only to be greeted by silence, and no
knowledge of whether the person is even still reading the ng.
--
Kay
Old 07-12-2007, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 00:19:40 GMT, brian mitchell wrote:

Rainwater is a no, no. The volumes of even a small shower on a decent
sized roof will flush a septic tank through far to quickly...

What is the ill effect of that?

Well apart from the fact the muck doesn't stay in the tank long enough to
acted on by the bacteria effectievly the sludge gets washed into the
soakaway blocking it up...

Thanks, also to Charlie Pridham.
My system (also on a Welsh 'mountain') had nearly all the roof runoff
plus grey- and blackwater running through it when I arrived. I'm
gradually diverting the rainwater but expect to leave the greywater as
is, though there's no biological soaps or other heavy-duty cleansers
used.

I have to say, though, that the system --which is easy to inspect--
seems to look and function exactly the same as it always has, without
needing emptying and with a clear soakaway chamber. Perhaps being on
extremely well-draining land makes the difference.