Old 23-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Registered User

Location: Dudey, UK
Default Unidentified droppings

Hi I am new to this site so bear with me.

I live in Dudley, UK. It's a fairly urban area. Back garden is on a severe decline. Grass at the bottom bordered by conifers. Tiers at intervals on the way down containing various different fillers eg grass, shrubs, rockery.

We have recently (past few months) been replanting some of the tiers. In the past 2 weeks we have noticed black tarry droppings on the steps, on the retaining walls + on the rockery. They are smaller than a 10p, liquidy (not dry)+have white or green around or in. I have pics but it says not to post them on here + I don't have my own website. Will send them to people if required. They do not look like rat droppings.

There are also larger droppings, dark, formed + about the size of 2 10p pieces on the deck + grass at bottom of garden. We have a cat but they do not look like cat faeces. They are not buried + appear to contain plant matter. People are suggesting foxes? Could they both be from the same animal?

The reason I am asking is because since the droppings started appearing our plants have started to be dug up. Our beautiful rockery has been destryoyed. Holes have appeared around the roots + whole plants have been dug up + strewn across the whole garden! There are also holes (about 2-3 inches in diameter) in the bottom lawn + runs between the two. Is this rats?

Sorry for the long post but we are amateur gardeners hoping for help with the droppings + holes. Would like to get the problem sorted!

Thanks in advance!
Old 23-08-2011, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 09:58:12 +0000, LitteJ
wrote:

[...]

Hi

You're posting through Garden Banter and your post is sent on to this
newsgroup. Whilst you cannot post pics to the newsgroup, you can post
them to Garden Banter and set them to appear as links in the message
that appears here.

I don't use Garden Banter so don't know how to do that but clearly
you've read the info about this newsgroup and so should be able to
find the instructions for posting pics to the GB system and then
linking in your message.

If you're urban are any of your neighbours suffering similar problems?

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 23-08-2011, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

and ANOTHER dig at Gardenbanter .......... :-((

Will you people NEVER give up?

Get a life

Gardenbanter is here and more than likely here to stay.

Can you not accept that? If not, sign out of urg

Mike

Old 23-08-2011, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"LitteJ" wrote

[...]

You are using the web site Gardenbanter to get to this Usenet Newsgroup. Now
whilst this is a non binary Newsgroup and we cannot therefor see an attached
photo you can post it to Gardenbanter, they have the facility, and show a
link here.
The smaller faeces sound like pigeons that have been eating things like
elderberry.
The larger faeces and the digging up of everything sounds like foxes to me,
probably young ones, they are very destructive when playing.
Pictures would help...

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting direct to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 23-08-2011, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

It may be here to stay, but that does not mean we have to welcome it, why
the hell don't the people who use it, sign up to a proper isp and use urg
directly?

Can you not accept that? If not, sign out of urg

Why, urg has been here for year, why should people abandon it?

Alan

Old 23-08-2011, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Just ignore him.

I've had months without seeing any of the bovine by-product that
emanates from the Isle of Wight but I've been fiddling with my
newsreader settings today and had the killfile turned off. It's back
on now.

Maybe he's been visiting Dudley and leaving his calling cards

If offering advice to a GB user on how to post a pic and get a link
through to this group is a dig at GB then I don't know what isn't.

But then again that excuse for a human being never reads what he sees;
merely misinterprets things as he wishes and, in so doing, makes the
GB users we try to help feel very uncomfortable.

So as I said, just ignore him.

Old 23-08-2011, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 17:09:07 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

Gardenbanter is here and more than likely here to stay.

Can you not accept that? If not, sign out of urg

Yes, we know but some people find it much more convenient to use
newsgroup. If I had to read all my newsgroups on web forums it would
weeks for every day!

Steve
--
Neural network applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. www.npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com

Old 23-08-2011, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

:-))

Just think Alan, if you were to start your own gardening newsgroup/forum
where people had to sign in and register, you could BAN all of these nasty
people who have the nerve to subscribe to this newsgroup/forum via the back
door. Dreadful people that they are :-((

Mike

Old 23-08-2011, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-08-23 17:47:07 +0100, "alan.holmes"
said:

snip

Why, urg has been here for year, why should people abandon it?

Alan

Mike Crowe of the Isle of Wight is our resident troll, Alan. He's in most
peoples' kill files so answering him let's him out of their bags! My two
pennorth is to beg you not to give him any attention at all because he
jumps through flaming hoops to get it! He's best ignored because of the
grudges he has against urg and this perpetual lying about urg's reactions
to people posting via Garden Banter is just one of the manifestations. I
suggest you kill file him, too but up to you, of course.
--
Sacha
South Devon

WOW. Such a long time since you made one of you devotion to duty postings
about me :-))

By the way, why don't you practice what you preach?

Kindest possible regards

Mike
ps. Make a good bit on plant sales on your H4H weekend did you? You
certainly advertised it well here didn't you ;-)) ???

Old 23-08-2011, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 17:47:07 +0100, "alan.holmes"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

""So as I said, just ignore him""

Practice what you preach

Kindest regards

Mike
:-))))

Old 23-08-2011, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

there was no dig at gardenbanter there think you need to (re)read jakes
reply
--
(º•.¸(¨*•.¸ ¸.•*¨)¸.•º)
.•°•. Nik .•°•.
Old 23-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitteJ View Post
[...]

cant help with the droppings but for pictures, open an account with someone like 'photobucket' it's free, then upload the pictures to it and post the link.
Old 23-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

[quote=LitteJ;933777]Hi I am new to this site so bear with me.

[...]

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE)

Have any of the droppings been deposited in the holes ?? if so, this sounds like badgers to me (and definantly not rats) They use specific areas as latrines and dig small holes to deposit their droppings. These latrines are generally on the outskirts of their territory and its very hard to detere them from using this same area once they start ?
Lannerman.
Old 24-08-2011, 06:38 AM
Registered User

Location: Dudey, UK

QUOTE=lannerman;933806]
[...]

Gosh didn't realise there was so much politics on here!

Spoke to my neighbour. It's foxes!

Thanks
Old 24-08-2011, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Aug 24, 6:38*am, LitteJ wrote:
QUOTE=lannerman;933806]LitteJ;933777 Wrote:

[...]

Lannerman.[/QUOTE

Gosh didn't realise there was so much politics on here!

Spoke to my neighbour. It's foxes!

Thanks

--
LitteJ- Hide quoted text -

Why can't you keep in the corect subject thread?