Old 29-01-2008, 11:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Curing and splitting wood for burning

Sacha wrote:
On 28/1/08 18:41, in article , "Tim
Lamb" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
We get buffeted by winds, though temperatures don't fall horribly low
over-winter, usually! But this house is Victorian and every interior wall
is solid, keeping the house very warm. The windows, OTOH, are those diamond
paned jobs and are not remotely well insulated. We can't use double glazing
and it would anyway look hideous. But interlined curtains and those nice
solid walls keep us very snug.

Why ever not?

We have simulated diamond double glazing in conventional timber frames.

Stone mullion windows, Grade II Listed building - think Victorian gothic.
We're having problems figuring out ways to put fly screens at the windows
and think they'll have to be magnetic to fit the iron frames. In summer,
I'd give my eye teeth for quarter lights in the windows, all of which are
casement! The downstairs windows are quite large, as are some of the
upstairs ones. Double glazing would have to be fixed into the wood beside
the mullions and would look appalling. On the downstairs windows there are
interior, folding shutters which would look awful and be ruined if we tried
to fit double glazing. However, we would not be allowed to fit it and would
probably be in trouble if the house police happened to check it out.

The loss through a few small SG windows is not great. I've got these
windows fitted to wooden frames..they were allowed on a new build..as
everywhere else was insulated to the nines.

Old 29-01-2008, 12:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 29/1/08 09:29, in article , "Tim
Lamb" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
On 28/1/08 18:41, in article
, "Tim
Lamb" wrote:

Why ever not?

We have simulated diamond double glazing in conventional timber frames.

Stone mullion windows, Grade II Listed building - think Victorian gothic.
We're having problems figuring out ways to put fly screens at the windows
and think they'll have to be magnetic to fit the iron frames. In summer,
I'd give my eye teeth for quarter lights in the windows, all of which are
casement! The downstairs windows are quite large, as are some of the
upstairs ones. Double glazing would have to be fixed into the wood beside
the mullions and would look appalling. On the downstairs windows there are
interior, folding shutters which would look awful and be ruined if we tried
to fit double glazing. However, we would not be allowed to fit it and would
probably be in trouble if the house police happened to check it out.

Ah! I see.

Have you asked what might be approved?

No, we haven't or not specifically about that. But my husband was given to
understand some years ago that no such alterations or additions would be
permitted.

Although Victorian and with leaded lights, this house is well outside
any conservation area and did not attract any attention when we
re-built. We stuck to the casement style and opted for diamond lead work
on the outer sheet.

I don't think we're in a particular conservation area. It's just that this
house was the vicarage and was built by Miss Champernowne of Dartington
Hall, as was the church. She gave the land and paid for the building. I
believe she later paid for the building of the CoE school and the School
House for the headmaster. The architect for church and house was John
Loughborough Pearson and it's probably that which has attracted attention,
rather than the overall area, if you see what I mean. That's not to say
that it's not a beautiful place with some outstanding houses in it but it's
my guess it's the peculiarity of ours that probably led to the Listing.
Much of the farming here is on Church Commission land and when my husband
bought the field behind us to make a car park, it hadn't changed hands for
1000 years!

Glazing regulations have changed since 1995 and the gap between panes
made significantly wider. I think our inserts are only 6mm (14mm
altogether) making the installation indistinguishable from the original
draughty diamonds. You do get different reflection effects from
Pilkington K glass which might upset the purist.

I think that would be a minor irritant, yes. But the depth of the chamfered
mullions on the inside of the windows is such that I think it would be 8 or
9" before a fixing could be made onto the wood and we certainly wouldn't
consider having any drilling into the stone. Double glazing would be
terribly obtrusive here, I think.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 29-01-2008, 12:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Off Topic Now Double Glazing

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 29/1/08 09:29, in article ,
"Tim
Lamb" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
On 28/1/08 18:41, in article
,
"Tim
Lamb" wrote:

[...]

Plastics by Post Ltd
http://www.plasticsbypost.net/ Glazing Materials

Translucent Acrylic Sheeting. Cut to size and fitted with Magnetherm
Adhesive tape. No drilling, nails or screws

Removable for cleaning windows

Undetectable so mind when you go to open a window.

Preserves ALL features without masking or obliterating them.

Been there. Done that in an old house. So I know it works.

Kind regards

Mike

After a lot of trouble www.nsrafa.org is now up and running for the National
Service RAF man

Old 31-01-2008, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:33:15 +0000, David in Normandy wrote
(in article ):

Huge says...

snip

Ankylosing spondylitis?

I don't recall ever being given a specific name such as
that, but the doctors spoke of the formation of bone spurs
impinging my nerves and the degeneration of disks in my
neck.

To quote my medical report:

At C4/5 level there is uncal osteophyte formation with some
narrowing of the left exit foramen and probably impingement
of the exiting nerve root.
At C5/6 level there is left postero-lateral osteophyte
formation, this would appear to be associated with a
chronic protrusion. There is canal stenosis with cord
compression and compression of the exiting left nerve root.

(In none-medical jargon - It seriously bloody hurt!)

Hi David, have only just caught up on some of my newsgroup reading and saw
this. This sounds exactly like what I have, which is called Spinal Stenosis
(NOT Ankylosing spondylitis, which my father had, and which is quite
different). If you Google Spinal Stenosis you will find chapter and verse.

I would urge you not to have surgery. My consultant once told me proudly
(when I was resisting such) that he had done the same operation on one
patient three times! He couldn't understand why I thought this was a
failure, not a success. A friend of mine insisted that surgery was the only
cure and that he had been told he would have a new quality of life within six
months. He has. It's worse.

This is seriously OT for this group except that gardeners have to watch their
backs! If you want to take it to email, mine will work and I'll send you a
real email address.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Burne-Jones/William Morris window in Shropshire church with conservation

Old 31-01-2008, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In article et,
lid says...
[...]

I know its OT but I couldn't agree more, my sister had the op and was in
such pain after that she had it done again after which she was worse and
pleading with them to remove her leg (hers being the same problem in her
lower back, but apparently removing the leg would not have removed the
pain) now recovering from her third operation and life seems to be
getting better and she is nearly back to the pain levals she lived with
before the first op! In her case the original bad back was not caused by
gardening but it has certainly restricted her ability to garden. (feeble
attempt to get back on topic!)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 31-01-2008, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening, uk.d-i-y

On Jan 31, 1:25*pm, Charlie Pridham
wrote:
In article et,
says...

[...]

Lapageria rosea- Hide quoted text -

I've missed a lot of this but if you have a back condition where you
can actually move then it's pilates pilates pilates. "Cured" me
(symptom free) of a bad back and dodgey hip.
Old 31-01-2008, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

adder1969 wrote:
snip

I've missed a lot of this but if you have a back condition where you
can actually move then it's pilates pilates pilates. "Cured" me
(symptom free) of a bad back and dodgey hip.

I am very glad that it helped you. But that is *not* universal advice to
be followed. Partner gets worse if she does anything like pilates (and
she has tried).

--
Rod
Old 01-02-2008, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

I'm only in my 40's but have little bits of bone growing in
various places where they shouldn't. Some unfortunately
into major nerves in my neck and also into my spinal cord.
Thankfully it went into remission before my date for
surgery came up so operation on hold. The surgery itself
carries a risk of paralysis or death, so I'm hoping it
stays permanently in remission. I just have to take care
not to jar or inflame the vertebrae. Swinging an axe is
something I do with care and moderation!

David, this sounds horribly familiar. I have bony spurs growing on my neck
vertebrae and without gentle chiropractic intervention can't walk straight
after a week or so. Yesterday, I did some gentle gardening but it involved
quite a lot of bending and then standing up etc. just to tidy things up and
carry the debris to the wheelbarrow. Later that evening I had a sudden loss
of balance which usually indicates my entire spine is right 'out'. A couple
of weeks ago, I suddenly had a brief period of double vision and feeling
very weak, almost faint. My previous doc wouldn't even arrange for an X-ray
on the grounds that I wouldn't want an operation such as you describe,
whatever happened to show up on the X-ray. The chiropractor *did*
commission an X-ray and while it's not awful, it's not terrifically good,
either.
I wonder if you'd be kind enough to email me about this? (remove weeds from
address) I'd be very glad to hear from someone with similar symptoms,
though yours sound worse than mine are at present.

I have similar things that come and go -- and thanks be, go for a lot of
the time;!..

BTW read today on the Ceefax news that theres an upsurge in cases of
Gout in the US of A, seems to be caused by too many sugary fizzy drinks
wrong sort of fructose..

Not directly to do with osteophytes or bone spurs, but all part 'n
parcel of the arthritic parcel of problems we have to endure;!....

BTW there is a news group uk.people.support.artertits but its a very
low post rate group..

And some there are -very- afflicted by this awful condition.

Some would love to be able to walk around in the garden, let alone tend
it..
--
Tony Sayer

Old 01-02-2008, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
BTW there is a news group uk.people.support.artertits but its a very
low post rate group..

I'm not surprised if that's what they called it.

There are 9 groups on news containing "arthri" in the title on my
server, a couple even mention "spondy".

Andy
Old 02-02-2008, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Champ
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:
BTW there is a news group uk.people.support.artertits but its a very
low post rate group..

I'm not surprised if that's what they called it.

There are 9 groups on news containing "arthri" in the title on my
server, a couple even mention "spondy".

Andy

I am indebted to my 'learned friend for pointing out that my mind was
clearly on another newsgroup...
--
Tony Sayer

Old 07-02-2008, 02:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Curing and splitting wood for burning - vents to my woodburners

However two open fireplaces and underflooor vents to feed em take a lot of
heat out when they are not burning.

im thinking of fitting underfloor vents to my woodburners,
which should stop draughts coming in through doors and windows,
but
arent they meant to be able to be closed when the fires not on,
and the chimney cleverly muffled,
so there is a lot less draughts and heat loss?

--

[george]

~ [g] ~
~ ~
~ 07970 378 572 ~
~
www.dicegeorge.com ~
~ (c)2008 ~
~ ~

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 28 Jan 2008 11:33:51 GMT, Huge wrote:

Jesus, do you live in Siberia and have a prediliction for sauna-like
temperatures? 1000 litres of oil lasts us nearly a year.

I think he lives, like us, in an old solid stone house.

Nope. Brand new timber framed.

To latest building regs.

However two open fireplaces and underflooor vents to feed em take a lot of
heat out when they are not burning.

In las with 6 bed house of similar size, but less well insulated and rick,
burn even more. I am getting by on 3500-400 liters a year..they need
4000-5000. Even with open fires as well.

I'd say the house is equivalent to three 'modern' 4 bed houses stuck
together.

Admitedly we are exposed and at 1,400'. We used to get through about
4,000l year. It's lower now maybe 3,500 or even a bit less since the
really drafty windows were replace with double glazing. Daytime temp is
18.5C on the stat going up to 20 for the evening, heating is off over
night.

similar temps here. Except we have given up on the UFH downstairs
altogether till Sunvic send a replacement stat, so thats down around
14-15c from heat bleed from the Aga only.

If we live in the kitchen office and bedroom ONLY thats about 1/3rd of the
oil burned.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

George (dicegeorge) wrote:
However two open fireplaces and underflooor vents to feed em take a lot of
heat out when they are not burning.

im thinking of fitting underfloor vents to my woodburners,
which should stop draughts coming in through doors and windows,
but
arent they meant to be able to be closed when the fires not on,
and the chimney cleverly muffled,
so there is a lot less draughts and heat loss?

Depends No one says you have to. Ours gets plant pots over em in summer..;-)

Plugging chimneys is fine, if you CAN.