Old 21-04-2008, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm adm is offline

Default Advice on Ivy please

On 2008-04-21 20:46:10 +0100, chris French

In message 2008042110545075249-adm1@fastmailfm, adm writes
On 2008-04-21 10:06:53 +0100, Charlie Pridham
said:

Hydrangea

Very pretty, but looks like it would get bushy rather than cling flat
to the wall.

I think Charlie probably meant Climbing Hydrangea. A different thing
from the nomral Hydrangea

Ah.....(Google....).....

So - would they fight if I alternated the fence bays with a Climbing
Hydrangea and an Ivy ?

Old 21-04-2008, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm adm is offline

On 2008-04-21 20:46:10 +0100, chris French

On 2008-04-21 10:06:53 +0100, Charlie Pridham
said:

Hydrangea

Very pretty, but looks like it would get bushy rather than cling flat
to the wall.

I think Charlie probably meant Climbing Hydrangea. A different thing
from the nomral Hydrangea

Ah.....(Google....).....

So - would they fight if I alternated the fence bays with a Climbing
Hydrangea and an Ivy ?

Hold on a mo' - what about Wisteria for this job? Or even a mix of
Ivy, Hydrangea and Wisteria?

Old 21-04-2008, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2008-04-21 10:06:53 +0100, Charlie Pridham
said:

Hydrangea

Very pretty, but looks like it would get bushy rather than cling flat to
the wall.

I think Charlie probably meant Climbing Hydrangea. A different thing from
the nomral Hydrangea

It's lovely in flower but otherwise unexciting :-(

Mary

--
Chris French

Old 21-04-2008, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2008-04-21 20:46:10 +0100, chris French

On 2008-04-21 10:06:53 +0100, Charlie Pridham
said:

Hydrangea

Very pretty, but looks like it would get bushy rather than cling flat
to the wall.

I think Charlie probably meant Climbing Hydrangea. A different thing
from the nomral Hydrangea

Ah.....(Google....).....

So - would they fight if I alternated the fence bays with a Climbing
Hydrangea and an Ivy ?

Hold on a mo' - what about Wisteria for this job? Or even a mix of Ivy,
Hydrangea and Wisteria?

I hope you have time to wait ...

Mary

Old 22-04-2008, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm adm is offline

On 2008-04-21 20:46:10 +0100, chris French

On 2008-04-21 10:06:53 +0100, Charlie Pridham
said:

Hydrangea

Very pretty, but looks like it would get bushy rather than cling flat
to the wall.

I think Charlie probably meant Climbing Hydrangea. A different thing
from the nomral Hydrangea

Ah.....(Google....).....

So - would they fight if I alternated the fence bays with a Climbing
Hydrangea and an Ivy ?

Hold on a mo' - what about Wisteria for this job? Or even a mix of Ivy,
Hydrangea and Wisteria?

I hope you have time to wait ...

Patience is a virtue!

Mind you, an Ivy would cover the wall fiarly quickly, but would it then
prevent somethig slower growing from climbing through it, or could the
two co-exist peacefully ? I presume the Ivy would strangle anything
else?

Old 22-04-2008, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2008-04-21 21:20:07 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

On 2008-04-21 20:46:10 +0100, chris French

On 2008-04-21 10:06:53 +0100, Charlie Pridham
said:

Hydrangea

Very pretty, but looks like it would get bushy rather than cling flat
to the wall.

I think Charlie probably meant Climbing Hydrangea. A different thing
from the nomral Hydrangea

Ah.....(Google....).....

So - would they fight if I alternated the fence bays with a Climbing
Hydrangea and an Ivy ?

Hold on a mo' - what about Wisteria for this job? Or even a mix of Ivy,
Hydrangea and Wisteria?

I hope you have time to wait ...

Patience is a virtue!

Mind you, an Ivy would cover the wall fiarly quickly,

Not necessarily, see Andy's post.

but would it then prevent somethig slower growing from climbing through
it, or could the two co-exist peacefully ? I presume the Ivy would
strangle anything else?

I can't see why it should!

Mary

Old 22-04-2008, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm adm is offline

On 2008-04-21 21:20:07 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

On 2008-04-21 20:46:10 +0100, chris French

On 2008-04-21 10:06:53 +0100, Charlie Pridham
said:

Hydrangea

Very pretty, but looks like it would get bushy rather than cling flat
to the wall.

I think Charlie probably meant Climbing Hydrangea. A different thing
from the nomral Hydrangea

Ah.....(Google....).....

So - would they fight if I alternated the fence bays with a Climbing
Hydrangea and an Ivy ?

Hold on a mo' - what about Wisteria for this job? Or even a mix of Ivy,
Hydrangea and Wisteria?

I hope you have time to wait ...

Patience is a virtue!

Mind you, an Ivy would cover the wall fiarly quickly,

Not necessarily, see Andy's post.

but would it then prevent somethig slower growing from climbing through
it, or could the two co-exist peacefully ? I presume the Ivy would
strangle anything else?

I can't see why it should!

Fair enough. I know b****r all about gardening though. I cut the grass,
but that's about it! I really need to do more as I have a lovely half
acre garden, but keeping the grass down takes a lot of time by itself.
I have however been given a Robomow, so once I get that set up I should
hopefully have more time.

I think my plan is evolving to be planting several different
bi-coloured Ivys alternately and maybe also a few Wisterias and/or
climbing Roses for longer term colour.

I plan to be in this house for a good ten more years or so, so
hopefully will see good results at some point!

Old 22-04-2008, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm adm is offline

On 2008-04-22 11:26:57 +0100, adm said:
..

[...]

I just had a nice chat with the lovely lady at Fibrex nurseries who
recommended Golden Girl, Ceridwen, Gold Ingot and Courage Ivy
varieties. Spaced about 1m apart and planted in blocks rather than
alternated.

Old 22-04-2008, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2008-04-22 11:26:57 +0100, adm said:
..

[...]

That sounds good to me. I'm not keen on small areas of alternating colours,
it always reminds me of the individual colours children use for greetings
cards and posters. It's not easy to read in that case and in a garden isn't
as satisfying as lrger areas of colour.

But that's just a personal opinion :-)

Mary

Old 24-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Registered User

Dont do it!

It's a nightmare! Literally takes over without constant care and attention. I would suggest you find a less aggressive climber than Ivy. Maybe even consider attaching plant beds to the wall to make it more attractive or surround it with some garden planters.

Good luck. Hope it goes well.

:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adm View Post
Dear All,

I am in the process of erecting an 8 foot high concrete post and panel
wall between my house and the nearby road. Once it's complete, it will
need something to cover it completely as it's not particularly
attractive. I was originally thinking of covering it with closeboard
fencing, but then thought that Ivy or a similar wall climber might look
a lot nicer.

The wall runs approximately north to south, the east facing side is
towards the road, but is hidden from the road by a 14 foot high beech
hedge. The westward side faces the house, but the house shades it from
the sun. It does get a bit of sun each day, but is predominantly shady.
There is about 10 feet between the house and the wall, and the area is
brick paved. I intend to take about 1 sq. foot of the brick paving out
at the bottom centre of each fence bay (10 bays, each 6 foot wide) so
that I can root a plant into soil. The soil in the area is mainly clay,
although curiously, we seem to have a fairly decent loam in our garden.

So - what varieties of Ivy would fairly quickly cover the entire wall
and look good? Or is there a similar climber I should think about.
Ideally, I want something that is fully self supporting so I dont have
to string any support wires. I would like it to reach the 8 foot top of
the fence, but then would prune it from going any further otherwise it
would interfere with the top of the beech hedge.

Any ideas? Also, if I go with Ivy, once it is established, could I
plant a climbing Rose with each Ivy plant and let the Rose climb
through the Ivy?

All opinions gratefully recieved.

Thanks,

Alasdair

Old 24-04-2008, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm adm is offline

On 2008-04-24 12:26:42 +0100, Ghost Orchid
said:

Dont do it!

It's a nightmare! Literally takes over without constant care and
attention. I would suggest you find a less aggressive climber than
Ivy. Maybe even consider attaching plant beds to the wall to make it
more attractive or surround it with some 'garden planters'
(http://passionforpots.co.uk/).

Good luck. Hope it goes well.

:-)

Too late!

4 varieties of H. Helix already ordered:

Golden Girl
Ceridwen
Gold Ingot
Tri-Colour

I actually want it to be aggressive on the wall as it's a big wall! 60
x 8 feet, nothing between the wall and the house other than brick
paving, and I have to prun the (50+ year old) beech hedge that is on
the other side of the wall twice a year anyway, so the ivy will get
pruned at the same time - if not more often. There's nowhere else it
can really go other than round the sides and over the top, and a quick
run of the hedge trimmer along those should sort it.

If it does go mental, then I can always cut it off at the roots, remove
it and cover the wall with closeboard fencing instead - although that's
a much more expensive option.

I figure I've got a few years until that happens though...

Old 24-04-2008, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2008-04-24 12:26:42 +0100, Ghost Orchid
said:

Dont do it!

It's a nightmare! Literally takes over without constant care and
attention. I would suggest you find a less aggressive climber than
Ivy. Maybe even consider attaching plant beds to the wall to make it
more attractive or surround it with some 'garden planters'
(http://passionforpots.co.uk/).

Good luck. Hope it goes well.

:-)

Too late!

4 varieties of H. Helix already ordered:

Golden Girl
Ceridwen
Gold Ingot
Tri-Colour

Good for you.

Some ivies, particularly the common green one, are fast growing but not all
are. I think you'll enjoy your plants and learning about their different
properties - let us know!

Mary

Old 24-04-2008, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm adm is offline

On 2008-04-24 12:26:42 +0100, Ghost Orchid
said:

[...]

Will do. Might take a while though!

Thanks for all the advice.

Old 24-04-2008, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/4/08 20:45, in article 2008042420452916807-adm1@fastmailfm, "adm"

On 2008-04-24 19:30:49 +0100, "Mary Fisher" said:

snip

Some ivies, particularly the common green one, are fast growing but not all
are. I think you'll enjoy your plants and learning about their different
properties - let us know!

Mary

Will do. Might take a while though!

Thanks for all the advice.

Actually, quite a few ivies seem to take a while to get going and climbing.
We planted a Paddy's Pride to go up one wall of the house and it must have
been a good two years before it started to climb and cling.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 10:48 PM
To ivy or not to ivy, that's the question? TimLondon United Kingdom 15 07-05-2013 07:08 PM
Advice please re Ivy 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 5 24-04-2011 09:00 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 12:22 PM
poisen ivy--scotts roundup poisen ivy ilaboo Lawns 4 06-06-2008 01:52 AM