Old 20-05-2008, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How to rewind line on to strimmer head?

Hi

Forgive me if this a no-brainer.

I cannot rewind new line onto my black and decker electric strimmer.
Its the type where you stop and start the motor to feed the line.

It has a detachable red plastic cover over the line spooler. When this is removed the spooler just
pulls off. The spooler has 2 separate channels where one winds each piece of line, and a couple of
notches to hold the end of each piece line when it has been wound.

When you replace the spooler in the machine the line feeds through 2 metal "gates" - the part the
protrudes does the cutting.

I am clearly missing the plot because when I wind on new line and then use it it lasts for @ 30 secs
and then does not strim. When I look at the spooler the line has either withdrawn inside the spooler
completely (i.e. not sticking through the "gate" and hence is not available for cutting) or in a
tangled mess around the spooler.

Is there a trick to this? How tight does one have to wind the line?

Any help is much appreciated before I throw it away in frustration!

Thanks - Adam
Old 20-05-2008, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Adam Lipscombe" wrote in message
Hi

Forgive me if this a no-brainer.

[...]

Not at all. I have been through three cheap electric B&D strimmers in three
years and am feeling pretty stupid for putting up with them. The last one
had the double spool and no proper instructions. It was marked 'reflex
plus', supposed to be auto feed but just covered the garden in short lengths
of blue line before making a strong smell of hornby train set and dying
quietly. Hopeless.

Tim w

Old 21-05-2008, 12:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 May 2008 19:07:16 +0100, Adam Lipscombe
wrote:

[...]

I have some sympathy with you and Tim. I think the secrets are winding
it evenly, winding it tight, and winding it in the right direction
(don't ask). I have yet to achieve all three simultaneously :-(

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Just done one on a Bosch this weekend couldn't work it out so I had to
cheat. Google a supplier of the spools and you should be able to tell which
way to wind and how it fits through the ports in the coller the only tip I
can give is err on the side of putting less line on you have more chance of
getting it even enough to work rather than risking overfilling squeezing
the last bit causes the problems ( 30 odd years of flyfishing comes to that
tip )
Derek

Old 21-05-2008, 04:02 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Lipscombe View Post
[...]

The problem is that handwinding the line on means that it crosses itself and jams. Sends me up the wall. You have to be very careful that the line is as evenly distributed as possible. I wind it on pretty tightly to try and avoid it crossing.
Old 21-05-2008, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Hi Adam

Think I have the same strimmer.IIRC it has an arrow to show direction line
has to be wound on the spool. It's important it's wound in the right
direction otherwise it won't feed.

HTH

Clive in Kent

Old 21-05-2008, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sorry I mistakenly said Black and Decker.

The strimmer is a Flymo Contour 500, which I think got a "recommended" report from which.
They obviously never tried to put new line in their test model.

Its galling that something that should be so simple is so difficult!
I will have another go this evening and see if I can get any better results.

Thanks - Adam

Old 21-05-2008, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Well I have to say my experience is rather the opposite, I have a very
cheap/small B&D reflex strimmer (i.e. it autofeeds) and I have wound
new line onto the spool several times now without any serious problems.

There is an arrow on the spool indicating which way to wind the line.

Don't overfill the spool and wind reasonably tight.

Then, in my experience, "it just works". I'm actually amazed at how
long our little B&D has lasted, it has gone on for a couple of years
at least of work that is really too heavy for it. We have 9 acres and
*lots* of different machines but the little B&D is my choice for
working up to fences etc., when the line catches on something it
doesn't tear itself apart like bigger strimmers tend to.

--
Chris Green
Old 21-05-2008, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

OK, I supposed that it must be possible to do it right, I just cannot seem to.

Please can you review my steps below?

1. Remove old old line and clean spooler.

2. Start with bottom channel (channel nearest strimmer, furthest away from turf)

3. Poke line into hole in channel centre.

4. Wind line tightly and evenly in direction of arrow

5. When not too full, secure line through notches in channel edge and cut, leaving @ 6 inches of
line free.

6. Repeat steps 3 - 5 for top channel.

7. Replace spooler on strimmer., feeding line end through the "gates".

8. Cut line back to a reasonable length. (What length?)

9. Remove line from spooler notches to it free to feed.

10. Replace spooler cap.

Anything I have missed or got wrong here?

Thanks- Adam

Old 21-05-2008, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Adam Lipscombe
wrote

OK, I supposed that it must be possible to do it right, I just cannot seem to.

Please can you review my steps below?

1. Remove old old line and clean spooler.

2. Start with bottom channel (channel nearest strimmer, furthest away
from turf)

On mine it isn't two separate lengths of cable. Take one length of
cable, find the centre and secure that point in a slot on the spool.

I've also found that the line initially retains the 'shape' of what it
was wound around when packed. I tie one end of the replacement cord to
something solid and stretch it - then leave it a while to relax.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com