Old 27-05-2008, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gardeners World presenter?

"endymion" wrote
Actually you are right. I do not watch as much as I used but hadnt really
reflected on why. It is the personalities and lifestyle element. I
suspect thats why I asked my question. I dont want a " personality" or "
lifestyle" presenter. I want a proper gardener not a " designer" and I
want to see a gardeners magazine programme not a lifestyle programme. I
suspect my watching will get less if they do continue as at present.

I tape it and zap through all the boring (to me) bits :~)

I love Carol Klein - in small doses. She'd be a nightmare as presenter
Dairmund is out
Joe is too bouncy
The Cockney bloke is fun but not for 30 minutes

Not many possibilities as far as I can see, unless there is some unknown out
there who would surprise us all !
Jenny

Old 27-05-2008, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/5/08 18:11, in article , "endymion"
wrote:

My computer died and I have not posted for a long time . Didn't bother to
replace the computer - there is life outside of this virtual world.

Whilst everyone wishes Monty Don all the best and a speedy recovery. The
reality is he leaves a hole in the garden at Gardeners World.

I have to say I am not enamored with the possibilities. I don't think it
would be too unrealistic to say that Monty was a peoples choice promoted
by those in this newsgroup ( the original BBC choice being Dairimud Gavin of
people are old enough and still have brain cells enough to recall) .

So, who should replace him? Or should Gardeners World call it a day and get
the axe from the BBC? Lets face it, its changed beyond recognition and
frankly I only watch half as often as I used to even when Alan was in charge
and that was less than when Geoff Hamilton had the reigns.

I think it's staring them in the face. Christine Walkden. She's a genuine
plantswoman and a genuine gardener. She knows the subject from all ends up
and she can talk to 'ordinary' gardeners as if they were her friends. She
is exactly in real life as she is on screen - no mad hair, or mad clothes,
or any gimmick of any sort - just a really good gardener. It wouldn't hurt
them to bring Peter Seabrook in, either. Let's forget the
presenters-as-celebs and get back to gardening by people who garden. He's
the Sun's gardening correspondent, so there's a huge audience guaranteed
right there!
Alan Titchmarsh learned his trade and has a great gift for communicating
with the camera - but both are necessary, not just a pretty or eccentric
persona.
And as for Chelsea this year - what dreary presentation. Carol is great
when she talks to the nurserymen because she knows so many of them but
overall we thought it was just dull. Yes they put some plants names up on
the screen, no, they didn't put up enough of them by a long chalk and that
b***** music playing over the commentary drove us nearly to fury. Why on
earth does one need that when someone is trying to talk about plants and
give their names? It's not only annoying, it's rude and bad-mannered, IMO.
We thought the whole thing very lacklustre overall and for the first time
really didn't much care if we saw it or not.
In fact, I'm going to get Ray to audition - after 60 years in the business
and with his own nursery, he does have a glimmering! ;-)) But that's the
sort of team they should be building - people who really do the job and know
it backwards, forwards and sideways, not just the ones who do the designing
and landscaping. They're the frame for the plants, they're by no means the
whole story.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-05-2008, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

I want to know the current Latin name, where they grow in the wild and the
conditions there, when it was brought into cultivation, by whom, the
conditions it needs in the UK... not "Oooh that's lovely!", I can see that
thank you.

That'll be the programme with that female presenter then? You missed an
awful lot of ooh and ahh and isn't that lovely if you missed her. I
taped all the programmes and then deleted all the ones with her in
before watching them, once i realised what the programme makers
intended.

Quite honestly if a simpering presenter had asked me whether i was
pleased with my BRONZE award after I'd spent a year or so plus umpteen
amounts of cash on a show garden building it, I'd have poked her in the
eye with a bunch of daffs!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 27-05-2008, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

Which brings us nicely back to my comment, Percy, come back, all is
forgiven. If he was going stuff you saw his hands not his face.

Helen Dillon or Geoffrey Smith would be good or any of the presenters
from the gardening series made by RTE. But PLEASE not Chris Beardshaw
and his liking for jumping over walls or running across fields or biking
down lanes etc.
Old 27-05-2008, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

I think it's staring them in the face. Christine Walkden. She's a genuine
plantswoman and a genuine gardener. She knows the subject from all ends up
and she can talk to 'ordinary' gardeners as if they were her friends.

I did suggest that in another thread sacha

She
is exactly in real life as she is on screen - no mad hair, or mad clothes,
or any gimmick of any sort - just a really good gardener.

Well I do think the BBC wanted her as a "character" and she has got an
awful lot of mad ways and looks, but i do think she could bring the
programme to life a bit and she is now known by the great undigging
public

It wouldn't hurt
them to bring Peter Seabrook in, either.

They won't do that he likes chemical warfare too much

Old 27-05-2008, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 27, 10:02*am, "JennyC" wrote:
"endymion" wrote

Actually you are right. I do not watch as much as I used but hadnt really
reflected on why. *It is the personalities and lifestyle element. *I
suspect thats why I asked my question. *I dont want a " personality" or "
lifestyle" presenter. *I want a proper gardener *not a " designer" and I
want to see a gardeners magazine programme not a lifestyle programme. I
suspect my watching will get less if they do continue as at present.

I tape it and zap through all the boring (to me) bits :~)

I love Carol Klein - in small doses. She'd be a nightmare as presenter
Dairmund is out

On behalf of the Irish nation, I must ask: why is Diarmuid out?

Cat(h)
Old 27-05-2008, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/5/08 13:53, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

On May 27, 10:02*am, "JennyC" wrote:
"endymion" wrote

Actually you are right. I do not watch as much as I used but hadnt really
reflected on why. *It is the personalities and lifestyle element. *I
suspect thats why I asked my question. *I dont want a " personality" or "
lifestyle" presenter. *I want a proper gardener *not a " designer" and I
want to see a gardeners magazine programme not a lifestyle programme. I
suspect my watching will get less if they do continue as at present.

I tape it and zap through all the boring (to me) bits :~)

I love Carol Klein - in small doses. She'd be a nightmare as presenter
Dairmund is out

On behalf of the Irish nation, I must ask: why is Diarmuid out?

Cat(h)

The very thought of Diarmuid trying to teach about how to propagate, sow,
raise and plant is enough to send many screaming for the hills, IMO. He's
into hard landscaping, not plants in general. He is not very popular with
the viewing public, and a lot of those represented by comments here found
his last presenting appearance at Chelsea way over the top - remarks about
him appearing well-refreshed were made, IIRC. He seems to have fallen out
of favour at the Beeb anyway. And on top of that, quite a few have said
here that they find him hard to understand.

Old 27-05-2008, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 27, 2:26*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 27/5/08 13:53, in article
, "Cat(h)"

wrote:
[...]

That's fair enough. I can see that plants are not his area of
speciality.

*He is not very popular with
the viewing public, and a lot of those represented by comments here found
his last presenting appearance at Chelsea way over the top - remarks about
him appearing well-refreshed were made, IIRC. *He seems to have fallen out
of favour at the Beeb anyway.

I think he is probably believing his own propaganda, and turning into
a bit of a diva and an insufferable spoiled pup. At least that's how
he sometimes comes across to me.

*And on top of that, quite a few have said
here that they find him hard to understand.

I find this odd. However, I realise that have the advantage on many
that I am exposed every day through a combination of everyday life and
access to UK TV and radio channels to most of the gaggle of regional
accents of the British Isles. I have sometimes had to act as
translator between some Irish and British (mostly English) friends and
acquaitances. I say English because most Welsh and Scottish people in
those circumstances appear to have little difficulty in following the
conversation. And the understanding difficulty is always one way only
- most Irish people are well atuned to most British Isle accents.

Cat(h)
Old 27-05-2008, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/5/08 14:47, in article
, "Cat(h)"
wrote:

On May 27, 2:26*pm, Sacha wrote:
On 27/5/08 13:53, in article
, "Cat(h)"

wrote:
[...]

I think 'turning into' may be a bit behind the times now. The last time I
saw him on tv he was in an advert for about 3 seconds. Once you get that
sort of rep you're out because there are too many clamouring for the chance
who don't behave like that.

*And on top of that, quite a few have said
here that they find him hard to understand.

I find this odd. However, I realise that have the advantage on many
that I am exposed every day through a combination of everyday life and
access to UK TV and radio channels to most of the gaggle of regional
accents of the British Isles. I have sometimes had to act as
translator between some Irish and British (mostly English) friends and
acquaitances. I say English because most Welsh and Scottish people in
those circumstances appear to have little difficulty in following the
conversation. And the understanding difficulty is always one way only
- most Irish people are well atuned to most British Isle accents.

I don't think it was so much his accent, or not just that but that he simply
didn't enunciate too well and seemed to swallow his words.

Old 27-05-2008, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cat(h) wrote:
On May 27, 10:02 am, "JennyC" wrote:
"endymion" wrote

Actually you are right. I do not watch as much as I used but hadnt really
reflected on why. It is the personalities and lifestyle element. I
suspect thats why I asked my question. I dont want a " personality" or "
lifestyle" presenter. I want a proper gardener not a " designer" and I
want to see a gardeners magazine programme not a lifestyle programme. I
suspect my watching will get less if they do continue as at present.

I tape it and zap through all the boring (to me) bits :~)

I love Carol Klein - in small doses. She'd be a nightmare as presenter
Dairmund is out

On behalf of the Irish nation, I must ask: why is Diarmuid out?

Because when you have seen one garden concreted over you have seen his
entire repertoire. We actually want someone who can present the
programme and has a decent capability with green fingers. Carol Klein
and Joe Swift, the guy with the allotment might be OK as a double act.
She can grow stuff but is a bit odd. He is a bit too designery for my
taste - lets see how he gets on with allotment fruit & veg and then make
an informed choice.

Whoever gets it please don't bring back the dreaded Titchmarsh.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 27-05-2008, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/5/08 11:25, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

[...]

It's a bit like someone interviewing people after a terrible tragedy and
asking them how they feel. It's utterly cringe-making to watch!

Old 27-05-2008, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/5/08 11:31, in article , "Janet Tweedy"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

I think it's staring them in the face. Christine Walkden. She's a genuine
plantswoman and a genuine gardener. She knows the subject from all ends up
and she can talk to 'ordinary' gardeners as if they were her friends.

I did suggest that in another thread sacha

Missed that, Janet. I'm so sorry! We've been away since last Thursday,
christening one of the new twigs on the family tree, so I'm not up with
everything, I'm afraid.

She
is exactly in real life as she is on screen - no mad hair, or mad clothes,
or any gimmick of any sort - just a really good gardener.

Well I do think the BBC wanted her as a "character" and she has got an
awful lot of mad ways and looks, but i do think she could bring the
programme to life a bit and she is now known by the great undigging
public

When she came here we didn't get any of that mad stuff, which seemed to be
their way of introducing us to "oh get her, what a character". She was
absolutely straightforward, down to earth and on top of it, a really nice
person who did the job, got on well with the crew and didn't make a lot of
to-do over it all. All ways round, I'd call her a winner.

It wouldn't hurt
them to bring Peter Seabrook in, either.

They won't do that he likes chemical warfare too much

True. But I suppose both sides could/should be represented?

Old 27-05-2008, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
On May 27, 10:02 am, "JennyC" wrote:
"endymion" wrote

Actually you are right. I do not watch as much as I used but hadnt
really
reflected on why. It is the personalities and lifestyle element. I
suspect thats why I asked my question. I dont want a " personality" or "
lifestyle" presenter. I want a proper gardener not a " designer" and I
want to see a gardeners magazine programme not a lifestyle programme. I
suspect my watching will get less if they do continue as at present.

I tape it and zap through all the boring (to me) bits :~)

I love Carol Klein - in small doses. She'd be a nightmare as presenter
Dairmund is out

On behalf of the Irish nation, I must ask: why is Diarmuid out?

Cat(h)

Don't get me wrong, I Love Dairmund and his mad gardens, but a lot of other
people seem to hate the way he presents !
He also seems to have fallen into the bad books of the Beeb - he never to be
seen anymore....

Jenny

Old 28-05-2008, 07:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

On May 28, 1:15 am, Anne Jackson wrote:
The message from "endymion" contains
these words:

"Bob Hobden" wrote:
"endymion" wrote

So, who should replace him? Or should Gardeners World call it a day and
get the axe from the BBC? Lets face it, its changed beyond recognition
and frankly I only watch half as often as I used to even when Alan
was in
charge and that was less than when Geoff Hamilton had the reigns.

I too hardly ever watch these days, it can be interesting occasionally
but mostly it seems more interested in the personalities than the plants
to my mind.

Percy, come back, all is forgiven.

Actually you are right. I do not watch as much as I used but hadnt really
reflected on why. It is the personalities and lifestyle element. I
suspect
thats why I asked my question. I dont want a " personality" or "
lifestyle"
presenter. I want a proper gardener not a " designer" and I want to see a
gardeners magazine programme not a lifestyle programme. I suspect my
watching will get less if they do continue as at present.

I remember seeing a rather likeable young lad, Bill Chudziak, presenting
a gardening programme a few years agi, but it might have been 'regional'?

Does the name ring a bell with anyone?

--
AnneJ

“Strength does not come from physical capacity.
It comes from an indomitable will.”
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi