Old 09-08-2008, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default garden and house valuation

I put garden first in the subject as I am wondering if the garden plays much
of a part when a house is being valued, any one know ?

kate
Gloucestershire

Old 09-08-2008, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
et...
I put garden first in the subject as I am wondering if the garden plays
much of a part when a house is being valued, any one know ?

kate
Gloucestershire

I would of thought it would , but only on its size
3 acres worth more than a back yard

Old 09-08-2008, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
et...
I put garden first in the subject as I am wondering if the garden plays
much of a part when a house is being valued, any one know ?

kate
Gloucestershire

depends where you are, the current housing climate and local planning. At
the moment many planning authorities are in favour of wild life more than
new properties being constructed....................unless it is well worth
(large BE's) their time.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Kate Morgan writes
I put garden first in the subject as I am wondering if the garden plays
much of a part when a house is being valued, any one know ?

My experience is that it pays a small part, but in a non-gardening sense
- ie tidy is good, colourful is good, but the identity of the plants is
irrelevant. Size is either a plus or a minus, and may be seen as
"difficult to maintain but gives room to extend the house".

If you have got a garden which is valuable to a gardener, you'll have to
write the description yourself and not leave it to the estate agent.

I suspect that it is one of these things that won't increase the value,
but will make the house easier to sell to the right person.
--
Kay
Old 09-08-2008, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
et...
I put garden first in the subject as I am wondering if the garden plays
much of a part when a house is being valued, any one know ?

kate
Gloucestershire

It is all about kerb appeal these days, a nice neat front garden will
help to get the punters in and maybe achieve somewhere near the
asking price. Back gardens will depend on the buyers needs, do
they have kids or pets or an interest in gardening etc ?

--
MSN
Email

WebCam
http://nitromax.ww.com
Location Telford, Shropshire
Thou shalt not bear false witness

Old 09-08-2008, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 09:26:33 +0100, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

I put garden first in the subject as I am wondering if the garden plays much
of a part when a house is being valued, any one know ?

kate
Gloucestershire

EA and valuers have to look at recent sales - it's probably about the
size as the quality - until it comes to actaully getting a sale and
then it's about how it suits the buyers. If you've got a family garden
on a family house then that's great but not a tiny paved place with 5
bedrooms.
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 09-08-2008, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 9, 9:26*am, "Kate Morgan" wrote:
I put garden first in the subject as I am wondering if the garden plays much
of a part when a house is being valued, any one know ?

kate
Gloucestershire

Yes, it does Kate, we had about one third of an acre at our last house
it was well kept and interesting with a veggie patch and a line of
fruit trees. We had created two patios to the rear and erected a
gazebo through which roses and Charlie's clematis, Gillian Baldes
twinted their way through. The three estate agents all said that this
particular area at the rear added the wow appeal and that added to the
value of the house.

Judith
Old 09-08-2008, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote
I put garden first in the subject as I am wondering if the garden plays
much of a part when a house is being valued, any one know ?

I would think a pretty garden would increase the value of a house over just
a back yard but at a certain size it becomes too large for almost zero
maintenance (which everyone seems to want these days) and the value goes
down.
A real gardener will want a largish garden and relish the maintenance.
However, as no two gardeners are alike a new owner would want to stamp their
own ideas on the space anyway, the plants and planting would probably be
irrelevant.
In my own case with half the small garden under water I would think that
would detract from the value for most people.

On a similar topic, if I travel on a train it amazes me how many largish
back gardens are wilderness and dumping grounds. Why buy a house with a
decent sized garden if you're a lazy sod?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 09-08-2008, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Bob Hobden writes
On a similar topic, if I travel on a train it amazes me how many
largish back gardens are wilderness and dumping grounds. Why buy a
house with a decent sized garden if you're a lazy sod?

Because you can never get everything you want. So if the house is the
right size, it's on a quiet road, near to good schools, it's got its
garage and parking for 3 cars, its en-suite bathroom, house bathroom and
downstairs toilet, and everything else on the wish list, you'll put up
with the fact that it's got a "difficult to maintain" garden.

--
Kay

Old 09-08-2008, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Charlie Pridham writes

But there must be people like me who just wanted a big garden to garden
it!

We had a dreadful time trying to find a house with a garden that wasn't
so small as to be a joke. Our garden is small, but I lost count of the
number of houses recommended to us by estate agents as having a 'large'
garden which were no such thing. One was on a corner and had a
reasonable front garden (assuming you're not going to do anything in the
front) - but the back fence was almost within touching distance of the
back door! Another 'half acre' garden was about 30ft wide and 100 ft
long.
--
Kay
Old 09-08-2008, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 9, 5:14*pm, K wrote:
Charlie Pridham writes
* We had a dreadful time trying to find a house with a garden that wasn't
so small as to be a joke. Our garden is small, but I lost count of the
number of houses recommended to us by estate agents as having a 'large'
garden which were no such thing. One was on a corner and had a
reasonable front garden (assuming you're not going to do anything in the
front) - but the back fence was almost within touching distance of the
back door! Another 'half acre' garden was about 30ft wide and 100 ft
long.
--
Kay

We had a struggle trying to get a large garden too! One agent sniffily
told me that "madam wants land, not a garden"
I have to say that at all the houses I looked at, I would gallop
through to view the garden before the house.
Yoiu can add rooms to a house, even knock it down and start again but
you can't get more land!
Strangely I have a recurring nightmare that I have bought a house but
when I look out of the window the first day the garden has either
dispaeared or isn't as big as I thought it was! I always wake up
stressed out
I know of houses that are now built around here where the house is
HUGE but the garden is minute yet the price is n o cheaper than the
lagrer houses with decent gardens....

Janet
Old 09-08-2008, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Janet writes
I know of houses that are now built around here where the house is HUGE
but the garden is minute yet the price is n o cheaper than the lagrer
houses with decent gardens....

That seems to answer the question about how the garden is valued ...

--
Kay
Old 09-08-2008, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 9, 5:14*pm, K wrote:
Charlie Pridham writes

But there must be people like me who just wanted a big garden to garden
it!

* We had a dreadful time trying to find a house with a garden that wasn't
so small as to be a joke. Our garden is small, but I lost count of the
number of houses recommended to us by estate agents as having a 'large'
garden which were no such thing. One was on a corner and had a
reasonable front garden (assuming you're not going to do anything in the
front) - but the back fence was almost within touching distance of the
back door! Another 'half acre' garden was about 30ft wide and 100 ft
long.
--
Kay

Your garden is lovely Kay and very interesting, in this case size does
not make a difference :-)

Judith
Old 10-08-2008, 02:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Aug 9, 5:14 pm, K wrote:
Charlie Pridham writes

But there must be people like me who just wanted a big garden to garden
it!

We had a dreadful time trying to find a house with a garden that wasn't
so small as to be a joke. Our garden is small, but I lost count of the
number of houses recommended to us by estate agents as having a 'large'
garden which were no such thing. One was on a corner and had a
reasonable front garden (assuming you're not going to do anything in the
front) - but the back fence was almost within touching distance of the
back door! Another 'half acre' garden was about 30ft wide and 100 ft
long.
--
Kay

Your garden is lovely Kay and very interesting, in this case size does
not make a difference :-)

Do you have any pictures of your garden Kay , Just a nosey soing so ! :)