Old 12-08-2008, 03:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default sweet pepper questions

I have four sweet pepper plants in the greenhouse which are only now
coming into flower. I wonder if I should do anything to try to make sure
I get a few peppers (are they called fruit?), it being so late in a dull
season? Should I limit the number of flowers? Should side shoots be
removed as with tomatoes? And are these self-fertile or do they need
assistance? Any other tips or instructions?

Brian Mitchell
Old 12-08-2008, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"brian mitchell" wrote in message
I have four sweet pepper plants in the greenhouse which are only now
coming into flower. I wonder if I should do anything to try to make sure
I get a few peppers (are they called fruit?), it being so late in a dull
season? Should I limit the number of flowers? Should side shoots be
removed as with tomatoes? And are these self-fertile or do they need
assistance? Any other tips or instructions?

Brian Mitchell

A little assisted conception might not go amiss, other than that leave them
be

pk

Old 14-08-2008, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 08:47:18 +0100, "PK" wrote:

"brian mitchell" wrote in message
I have four sweet pepper plants in the greenhouse which are only now
coming into flower. I wonder if I should do anything to try to make sure
I get a few peppers (are they called fruit?), it being so late in a dull
season? Should I limit the number of flowers? Should side shoots be
removed as with tomatoes? And are these self-fertile or do they need
assistance? Any other tips or instructions?

Brian Mitchell

A little assisted conception might not go amiss, other than that leave them
be

pk

Peppers aren't self fertile so need insects, or a child's paintbrush.
Chillis are perenials so if you can bring them into a conservatory,
they can get an early start next year. Probably drop all their leaves
due to low light levels. Worth trying are they aren't big plants and
don't stink like tomatoes. The latter won't ripen if it gets below
55 F. No idea if peppers are the same. Also supposed to be no value in
letting red peppers go fully red before picked.

They are meant to bush. No pinching out of shoots or tips.

Quite a few pepperheads swear by spraying the plant with 2% epson salt
solution at flowering time. Supposed to increase the crop.

I was late in putting my peppers into pots this year. Those pots are
mostly outside and even they are making peppers now.

Old 15-08-2008, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

sorry, slightly wrong. Peppers do self-pollinate by the breeze shaking
them. In a greenhouse there's less air flow, so it's insects more
there.

Btw forgot to say, peppers take their time to get started on
flowering. Then they go for it.

There's a cherry mini sweet pepper (as opposed to the hot version). In
2005 that produced loads of fruit. Growing more this year and again
they could do well. Perhaps in our climate the smaller peppers are
better choices than the normal block type which seem to need more heat
to develop thick walls.