What's the best way to permanently remove ivy ?

Old 27-07-2008, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What's the best way to permanently remove ivy ?

What's the best way to permanently remove the ivy growing up the side of our
house ?.

I want kill it off to make sure it never grows back.

TIA,

woodglass...

Old 27-07-2008, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"woodglass" wrote in message
What's the best way to permanently remove the ivy growing up the side of
our
house ?.

I want kill it off to make sure it never grows back.

TIA,

woodglass...

Dig out the root seems pretty permanent

Old 27-07-2008, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

woodglass wrote:
What's the best way to permanently remove the ivy growing up the side
of our house ?.

I want kill it off to make sure it never grows back.

TIA,

woodglass...

Cut it off at ground level, and apply some tree root killer to the stump.
Leave for a few weeks, then dig out as much as you can. Worked for me.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 27-07-2008, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"woodglass" wrote
What's the best way to permanently remove the ivy growing up the side of
our
house ?.

I want kill it off to make sure it never grows back.

Ivy will not grow back from roots under the ground so dig down a bit, 6
inches is fine, and cut it off. No need for any chemicals IME. The ivy on
the side of your house will die,
go brown, and gradually fall off over a couple of years. Pulling ivy off a
wall is the reason people say it damages walls.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-07-2008, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"woodglass" wrote in message
What's the best way to permanently remove the ivy growing up the side of
our
house ?.

I want kill it off to make sure it never grows back.

TIA,

woodglass...

I have had to remove masses of Ivy from the dry stone walls around our
garden. I found that cutting off as close to ground level as possible, and
cutting the bulk away from the wall caused less damage to the walls. Three
years on the remains on the walls has dried up and comes away quite easily.
Very little re grew, what did I simply plucked off and that has now given
up.

Mike

Old 27-07-2008, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"woodglass" wrote
What's the best way to permanently remove the ivy growing up the
side of our
house ?.

I want kill it off to make sure it never grows back.

Ivy will not grow back from roots under the ground so dig down a bit,
6 inches is fine, and cut it off. No need for any chemicals IME. The
ivy on the side of your house will die,
go brown, and gradually fall off over a couple of years. Pulling ivy
off a wall is the reason people say it damages walls.

You may well be right. I used the chemical, because there is now a stream
running along the wall where the ivy was, and I didn't want to risk
unexpected growth coming up through the streams liner!
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 15-08-2008, 02:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Glysophosphate will work if you add a little washing up liquid to the
spray. Ivy leaves are waxy. Cutting out a chunk of stem will also kill
all above. Using a fork as a crowbar helps raise the stems to make
them easier to cut. Main root looks to be very deep, so not bothered
with that so far.

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:53:06 +0100, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

In article , says...
What's the best way to permanently remove the ivy growing up the side of our
house ?.

I want kill it off to make sure it never grows back.

TIA,

woodglass...

As I am sure many others will say, first cut through the stems, next dig
out the root and after an interval of time remove the top growth from the
wall. weedkillers are not very effective but if you bruse the leaves a
bit then apply roundup it will eventually weaken and kill the plant but
you will still have to remove the roots.