Old 09-08-2008, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Freezing Runner Beans

Judith in France writes

I used to wash etc., now I don't, I do what the French do and that is
pick, prepare and freeze dry, forget blanching. They have been doing
this for generations

"Generations"? Gosh - just how long ago did the French start using deep
freezes? ;-)

(Or maybe I'm just a lot older than I think I am)
--
Kay
Old 09-08-2008, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

Which leads me to ask, how do you know that the light in your freezer is
out when the lid is closed?

Because there is no light in my freezer.
--
Gordon H
Old 09-08-2008, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 9, 11:32*am, K wrote:
Judith in France writes

I used to wash etc., now I don't, I do what the French do and that is
pick, prepare and freeze dry, forget blanching. *They have been doing
this for generations

"Generations"? Gosh - just how long ago did the French start using deep
freezes? ;-)

(Or maybe I'm just a lot older than I think I am)
--
Kay

In the case of Marie-Louise, there are 4 generations using them.
Yonks might have been a better word :-)

Judith
Old 09-08-2008, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 9, 11:19*am, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 02:58:28 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Aug 9, 9:21*am, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 17:16:43 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Aug 8, 10:47*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote in message

Now that I am picking more beans than I can eat, I have to resort to
freezing some for later use.

I have Googled and found as many contradictions about precise methods as
there are pairs of contributors. * *;-)

From a consensus, I propose to wash and slice diagonally into 1/2 " wide
pieces, drop into boiling water for 2 minutes, drop in iced water for
several minutes, then dry and freeze.

The last time I did this many years ago I bagged them after drying and put
them in the freezer. * * When we used them, they were stuck together to
some extent and iced up in the plastic bags. * * *We learned to make up
smaller portions... * ;-)

Today's reading suggests that I should leave them to dry more thoroughly,
and place them in the quick-freeze compartment on a baking tray, rather
than toss them in a bag.

Any comments on the methodology?

It is a given that they will not taste as they do when fresh, but in a
stir-fry with corn fed chicken, some Chinese veg and my favourite
sauces...

My grandfather, who didn't have a freezer, always used to salt them in jars.
He would visit just before Christmas Day to give us some.
He was a magnificent gardener.- Hide quoted text -

I tried that Christina, many years ago, far too many in fact!!!! *They
were horrid when I cooked them and I threw out the entire stock of
jars that I had, the old type pot sweet jars. *I remember buying rock
salt, and layering the beans and salt but I'm sure I did something
wrong, they were awful.

There is a local Dutch family who made a fortune out of selling salted and
pickled vegetables to UK. They were conveniently located across a canal from the
vegetable auction. The owner thought most of the stuff they exported was used on
ships. I find salted vegetables disgusting too.

I wonder how they were able to sell the stuff?

I asked the old guy who ran the company the same question. He didn't have an
answer. AFAIR somebody in Liverpool imported most of his products. I used to
keep a sailing dinghy in one of his sheds in winter. This gave him the idea to
provide boat storage on his land in winter. By the mid 1970s this was far more
profitable than selling salted veg. to sailors.

I have eaten
cornichons in a light herb pickled water, they are nice but again I
would prefer to eat all my vegetables fresh.

Pickled gherkins are common in Holland and Germany.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

I like them without the vinegar taste. We grew some last year or the
year before, can't temember but we didn't put any in this year. Our
veggies are not good and this is virgin land that they are growing
in. The farmer is going to put a couple of trailer loads of manure on
it in the Winter.

Judith
Old 09-08-2008, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 9, 3:04*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 06:55:08 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote in message

Now that I am picking more beans than I can eat, I have to resort to
freezing some for later use.

I have Googled and found as many contradictions about precise methods as
there are pairs of contributors. * *;-)

From a consensus, I propose to wash and slice diagonally into 1/2 " wide
[...]

There's something for you to look forward to.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

I was going to ask you to come and spread it!!

Judith

Old 09-08-2008, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 9, 4:43*pm, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 08:33:27 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
*The farmer is going to put a couple of trailer loads of manure on
it in the Winter.

There's something for you to look forward to.

I was going to ask you to come and spread it!!

I was expecting you to stir it.
--

Martin

:-)

Judith
Old 09-08-2008, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Martin contains these words:
On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 12:33:03 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:
In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

Which leads me to ask, how do you know that the light in your freezer is
out when the lid is closed?

Because there is no light in my freezer.

Nor in any of ours,

Birds Eye stymied...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 10-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Registered User

You are correct with the last comment freeze on a tray and then bag them up, this stops them from sticking.

www.carreglefn-nurseries.co.uk

kathryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon H View Post
Now that I am picking more beans than I can eat, I have to resort to
freezing some for later use.

I have Googled and found as many contradictions about precise methods as
there are pairs of contributors. ;-)

From a consensus, I propose to wash and slice diagonally into 1/2 " wide

Old 11-08-2008, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes
wrote:
In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

Which leads me to ask, how do you know that the light in your freezer is
out when the lid is closed?

Because there is no light in my freezer.

Nor in any of ours,

Birds Eye stymied...

I could put a security camera in the fridge to check, though...
The cable could be brought past the door edge.
--
Gordon H
Fridge-Light Anxieties Driven Away.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 writes:

| | No! No! No!
| |
| | Right. Slice beans (on the slant).
|
| BIG error. If they are big enough to slice, you haven't picked
| them young enough!
|
| You obviously don't feed your beans.
|
| Mine are usually picked at around nine inches, and there are no strings.

You are jumping to conclusions! I regard runner beans of that size
as much inferior to smaller ones, not because they are stringy, but
because they are more watery. And feeding them won't help reduce that!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Gordon H contains these words:
wrote:
In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes

Which leads me to ask, how do you know that the light in your
freezer is
out when the lid is closed?

Because there is no light in my freezer.

Nor in any of ours,

Birds Eye stymied...

I could put a security camera in the fridge to check, though...
The cable could be brought past the door edge.

vox="Capt Birdseye"

Shiver me timbers! (And avast behind!)

/vox

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 12-08-2008, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes
The message
from Gordon H contains these words:

I could put a security camera in the fridge to check, though...
The cable could be brought past the door edge.

vox="Capt Birdseye"

Shiver me timbers! (And avast behind!)

/vox

Vast behind? I may be ancient, but I still have buns of steel!
--
Gordon H
Old 12-08-2008, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Gordon H writes:
| In message , Rusty Hinge
| 2 writes
|
| Shiver me timbers! (And avast behind!)
|
| Vast behind? I may be ancient, but I still have buns of steel!

Is it a blimp? Is it a whale? No, it's Superbum!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 13-08-2008, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 12, 10:12*pm, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:
The message

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 writes:

| | No! No! No!
| |
| | Right. Slice beans (on the slant).
|
| BIG error. *If they are big enough to slice, you haven't picked
| them young enough!
|
| You obviously don't feed your beans.
|
| Mine are usually picked at around nine inches, and there are no strings.
You are jumping to conclusions! *I regard runner beans of that size
as much inferior to smaller ones, not because they are stringy, but
because they are more watery. *And feeding them won't help reduce that!

I prefer the flavour of larger ones - not larger so that the skins
contain toenails and the sides are held together with
packaging-plasticbandlike strips though...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig- Hide quoted text -

I like both, at the moment they are very small as they are not doing
too well but last year in England we had a glut, they were big but
very tender and lovely with lamb gravy and Yorkshire pudding. I have
introduced my French neighbours to that, as a first course!!!

Judith